2nd Trimester
Options

Dublin/London/Paris babymoon booked!!

I still can't believe we finally booked our trip, we were having such a hard time deciding on what to do... especially with me being pregnant we weren't sure what I'd be able to handle!

We're doing 3-4 nights each in Dublin, London and Paris and I couldn't be more excited!! Neither of us have ever been to Europe before.

Now it's time for me to learn the fine art of packing light and to plan our itinerary in more detail :) Anyone have tips/suggestions??

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
- Robert Munsch

Re: Dublin/London/Paris babymoon booked!!

• Options
    That trip sounds amazing....my DH and I are thinking of going to Paris before the baby is born.  Paris is our favorite city in Europe...although I haven't been to Dublin yet.  We have used Rick Steves guide books in the past and found them helpful.  And packing light is the only way to go!

Ella - 10/19/10
    Julia and Aubrey - 4/3/14

• Options
    Soo jealous!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageheckysue:
    imagerochella:

I spent a semester in Europe... and I'm still so jealous of you.  There's so much to do and see.  Pack light but bring jackets because it might still be cool.  I guess you know all the tourist-y things to do already.  Walk a lot - it's good for you and you'll discover more that way.  I also loved taking the subway, especially in London.  And of course, like in any big city, avoid making yourself look blatantly like tourists because you're more likely to get stolen from or taken advantage of, in a monetary sense.

aghh.

For the UK specifically - GO TO LOCAL PUBS - not big fancy restaurants!

This for sure.  It's not only less expensive, it's so much more authentic and you're much more likely to meet people and have interesting conversations.

Thanks!! All very good tips!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options

I'm also jealous, I've only ever been to Paris and I want to go back soo badly.

My suggestion for Paris is that you can buy a 3 or 4 day pass to museums, you get it at the Louvre, I forget what it's called, but you pay one price and it allows you access to all the major museums(I'd find out which ones so you don't plan to go to one and waste a day if its not on the list). Also I believe they're closed mondays, make sure you see what days they/re open  and you can plan your trip around that. Also I would look at a map when you're planning your trip there because sometimes you'll be at one building and realize that around the corner is something major and amazing, again at the Louvre - right outside are the tuilerie gardens which are so beautiful to sit in after the long tour and they've got great gelato  :)

My mom and I were really lucky when we went because my dad made us an itinerary and would literally say 'now, around this corner is a great little cafe...and if you go up this block you'll see this amazing little spot'...so we literally saw it all. It also helped that I had just taken art history, because it made everything so special. I would also suggest renting Marie Antoinette (the new movie with Kirsten Dunst- and then visiting Versaille, you'll see it all and it puts it into context :) 

Hope you have a great time! 

• Options

Oh I'm so jealous!! I did a similar trip (4 days each in London & Paris) a few years ago.The metro/tube/subway systems in both cities are very easy to navigate. Your pregnant feet with be glad for the break :)

London is very tourist friendly and pretty much any guidebook can cover all the typical stuff.

In Paris, I highly recommend the Musee D'Orsay, even more than the Louvre - it's slightly less popular and less crowded and you get to see amazing, famous paintings SUPER close with none of those velvet ropes and scary guards and rules about no photography. My absolute favorite part was running across a street market on Wednesday morning on the rue Washington (not far from the Eiffel Tower, it has a big statue of George Washington on it) where they sold EVERYTHING from whole fish right off the boat to jewelry to clothes. I spent more money there than I did at every museum gift store the whole trip. I know there are lots of other similar markets all over the city on various days, so if you ask at your hotel I'm sure they could direct you to one.

Have a WONDERFUL time!

Also, the pass someone recommended above is called a Paris Pass. You can find it if you Google it. 

• Options
    imagebebehblog:

Oh I'm so jealous!! I did a similar trip (4 days each in London & Paris) a few years ago.The metro/tube/subway systems in both cities are very easy to navigate. Your pregnant feet with be glad for the break :)

London is very tourist friendly and pretty much any guidebook can cover all the typical stuff.

In Paris, I highly recommend the Musee D'Orsay, even more than the Louvre - it's slightly less popular and less crowded and you get to see amazing, famous paintings SUPER close with none of those velvet ropes and scary guards and rules about no photography. My absolute favorite part was running across a street market on Wednesday morning on the rue Washington (not far from the Eiffel Tower, it has a big statue of George Washington on it) where they sold EVERYTHING from whole fish right off the boat to jewelry to clothes. I spent more money there than I did at every museum gift store the whole trip. I know there are lots of other similar markets all over the city on various days, so if you ask at your hotel I'm sure they could direct you to one.

Have a WONDERFUL time!

Also, the pass someone recommended above is called a Paris Pass. You can find it if you Google it. 

Thank you! That is it, I remembered it being in french and couldn't remember the name...I guess Paris pass makes sense lol. 

And yes Musee D'Orsay was another favourite! and its on the pass :)

• Options
    DH IS FROM DUBLIN AND LOVE THE CITY! VERY BUSY MUCH LIKE
    NEW YORK WITH COBBLESTONE! DUBLIN CITY IS FUN A LITTLE SCARY AFTER DARK LOT OF DRUNK 18 YEAR OLDS! DO A BUS TOUR IT WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT YOU WOULD TO SEE IF YOU RENT A CAR TAKE A TRIP TO GLENDALOCK IN CO WICKLOW AN OLD SHRINE VERY PRETTY!! I LOVE LONDON!!! WE DID A BUS TOUR THERE TO AND MADAM TOUSSAND (?SP) WAX MUSEUM WAS AWESOME! LONDON IS
    MY FAVORITE OF THE THREE! WE SAW A SHOW (OLIVER!) WHEN WE WERE THERE TOO! PARIS, I LOVED PARIS UNTIL I SAW LONDON. COMPARED TO LONDON PARIS WAS DIRTY! WE DID A RIVER SEIN TOUR AND THAT WAS GREAT! NOTRE DAME AREA IS REALLY COOL TOO!  ALL THREE CITIES ARE SUPER EXPENSIVE! BUT YOU WILL DEF ENJOY YOURSELVES!!
  • Options
    Oh AND CANTCAN'T SPEAK FOR PARIS OR
    LONDON BUT IN DUBLIN KEEP YOUR BAG CLOSE AND ZIPPERED ESPECIALLY IN THE CITY ITS AWFUL FOR PEOPLE ROBBING YOUR BAG!
  • Options
    I'm not sure when your trip is, but if it's during the World Cup, I would totally recommend going out to the pubs/bars if you're in Paris or London during a game- it is certainly an experience unlike anything else. It's so much craziness and fun!
  • Options
    imagebebehblog:

Have a WONDERFUL time!

This.  I lived in Europe for a year and I would kill to go back.  I am sososososo jealous!  Have fun!

• Options

i lived in london for six months and lived in dublin for two years, from '99 thru 2001.  we actually just went back to both cities last summer for the 10-year anniv. of when we met.  we stayed at the Trinity Capital in Dublin and I highly recommend it.  it's between the Tara Street and Pearse street DART (train) stops and a quick walk to temple bar, where most of the bars are.  when we lived there, our favorite restaurant was Elephant and Castle in temple bar.  we used to go for the chicken wings, which i suppose you can get anywhere in the states, but the rest of their menu is great and we ended up eating there once a day when we visited last summer.  food in dublin is pretty expensive.  great shopping on grafton street.  for a nice night out with some traditional music and dancing, try johnny fox's.  it's a fairly long cab ride from the city center, but the food is great and it's where we used to take tourists/friends when they came to visit.  if you see banoffee anywhere on a dessert menu, order it. 

london is even more expensive but our last trip there we stayed at the jury's in islington.  the hotel is nothing fancy but not dodgy and was about 100 pounds/night, which for london is actually pretty good.  the best part about it is the neighborhood.  the stop is the Angel on the northern line, and high street in islington is all great restaurants, pubs, shops, etc.  i lived there when it was up and coming, and in the 10 years i've been gone it up and came.  hands down the best part of london that isn't touristy.  i also loved to go to the camden markets on the weekends for people watching and good shopping.  covent garden is great but more touristy.

i've visited paris a few times but wouldn't have enough to add.  you're going to have a great time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm inviting you to come to the International Nesties board on The Nest.  We have a good number of London Nesties and a few in the Dublin area.

I'm sure they would love to help!

Sounds like a wonderful trip.  Have fun!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"