2nd Trimester
Options

O'Doul's

I'm currently 4 months pregnant & loving every minute of it besides the fact that I havent had a beer in 13 weeks. I am a beer girl! Forget hard liquor or foo-foo drinks. Give me a cold beer after a long day...  :D  Anyway, any other beer girls out there know if its safe to drink  a non-alcocholic beer? Even though its not the same it would be nice to drink a cold one on a hot day! :) 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers beach baby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: O'Doul's

• Options
    I would think you would be fine...
  • Options
    I enjoyed one while in Vegas a couple weeks ago.  I think its fine.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've been drinking odouls, the NA coors, and the NA busch..

i don't drink them on a daily basis of course.. but the every once in a while when you get the craving :)

it's perfectly safe! enjoy them. (even though it's hard to)

• Options
    I have a NA Becks or NA St. Pauly Girls every weekend when we BBQ. Its perfectly safe.  It tastes the same as the stuff with alcohol in it. My husband even grabbed one of mine one night and didn't know it until I pointed it out.
  • Options
    I miss beer too! The weather is so nice.
  • Options

imagesanjose78:
    I'm currently 4 months pregnant & loving every minute of it besides the fact that I havent had a beer in 13 weeks. I am a beer girl! Forget hard liquor or foo-foo drinks. Give me a cold beer after a long day...  :D  Anyway, any other beer girls out there know if its safe to drink  a non-alcocholic beer? Even though its not the same it would be nice to drink a cold one on a hot day! :) 

There is still alcohol in it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagesanjose78:

9 months of no drinking isn't the end of the world.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

A few women have recommended it to me and said that they drank it during their pregnancies. Beer is the only thing I have had any craving for so I may check it out. 

NA beer has to have .05% ABV or less. Some of them may have a bit, others have none. Just check the label to make sure if it is something you are very concerned about.  

Three losses in 2009, a miracle in 2010! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker The Method to My Madness, a PPD blog
  • Options
    imagelilhotcandie69:

imagesanjose78:

.05% -- take a chill pill. 

if you wanna live in a bubble through-out pregnancy go ahead..

there's some of us out there that aren't so freaking paranoid about every little "no-no".

• Options
    imagehmkoller:
    imagelilhotcandie69:

imagesanjose78:

.05% -- take a chill pill. 

if you wanna live in a bubble through-out pregnancy go ahead..

there's some of us out there that aren't so freaking paranoid about every little "no-no".

Umm I already had my DD if you didn't notice. And I'm not being paranoid, I'm just saying you need to be careful cause FAS can happen even if you have a couple drinks. .05% is still alcohol FYI

• Options
    imagelilhotcandie69:

imagesanjose78:

Well, that's just silly. The amount of alcohol in a non-alcoholic beer, by law, must be less than .5% by volume. This is similar, by the way, to the amount of alcohol in a glass of orange juice. Yes, orange juice.

The only reason they put restrictions on the underage purchase of non-alcoholic beer is because they fear that underage people will abuse it because it tastes/looks like beer. (Similarly, alcoholics are told to avoid it because it might trigger real alcohol cravings.) But saying that it technically has a scientific measure of alcohol in it is not saying much. Most food items containing sugar technically have some small amount of alcohol in them, as chemically alcohol is a form of sugar. But you would have to drink ten non-alcoholic beers (or glasses of orange juice) in a sitting to equal the alcohol content of a single regular beer (~4-6% alcohol by volume). 

So before we induce a panic over FAS, let's actually look at the facts.

(PS: I had some Clausthaler the other day -- pretty good, and totally met my beer craving.)

• Options
    imageAllie30:
    imagelilhotcandie69:

imagesanjose78:

Well, that's just silly. The amount of alcohol in a non-alcoholic beer, by law, must be less than .5% by volume. This is similar, by the way, to the amount of alcohol in a glass of orange juice. Yes, orange juice.

The only reason they put restrictions on the underage purchase of non-alcoholic beer is because they fear that underage people will abuse it because it tastes/looks like beer. (Similarly, alcoholics are told to avoid it because it might trigger real alcohol cravings.) But saying that it technically has a scientific measure of alcohol in it is not saying much. Most food items containing sugar technically have some small amount of alcohol in them, as chemically alcohol is a form of sugar. But you would have to drink ten non-alcoholic beers (or glasses of orange juice) in a sitting to equal the alcohol content of a single regular beer (~4-6% alcohol by volume). 

So before we induce a panic over FAS, let's actually look at the facts.

(PS: I had some Clausthaler the other day -- pretty good, and totally met my beer craving.)

I like your facts!  And totally random but wth is clausthaler?

• Options

i love a cold, frosty bottle in my hand from time to time as well.  ;)  

NA St. Pauli Girl is my fav.

• Options
    image2.red.heads:

i love a cold, frosty bottle in my hand from time to time as well.  ;)  

NA St. Pauli Girl is my fav.

you have such a cute preggo belly. I'm jealous

• Options
    imagelilhotcandie69:
    [quote user="hmkoller

Umm I already had my DD if you didn't notice. And I'm not being paranoid, I'm just saying you need to be careful cause FAS can happen even if you have a couple drinks. .05% is still alcohol FYI

As a Special educator with training in FAS, I agree with you that "a couple of drinks" can be harmful. But it would take TEN N/A beers (0.5%) to equal ONE regular beer (5%). So really, unless you're going to drink a whole 12-pack in one sitting, there's nothing to worry about.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Try Beck's non-alcoholic. My husband gets it for me when my beer craving goes up! Many, I would not say most, good brew poubs will have non-alcoholic ones, i suggest trying a few than asking your local package store( yes, i live in the south) (liqour store) if they can order you in some!
  • Options

Good stuff to know:) I'm starting to miss the taste of alcohol. It's definitely no big deal to go 9 months without, and of course totally and completely worth it! But if I can safely have a yummy virgin drink along the way, why not.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Why take the chance .Is it really worth it. Pregnancy only last nine months.
  • Options
    My OB told me it was fine to have one every now and again.  I agree with piecesofflare - Beck's tastes the best IMO.
  • Options

imageamanda1ann1:
    Why take the chance .Is it really worth it. Pregnancy only last nine months.

What a fvckin' siggy. 

Having an NA beer isn't "taking a chance". You're being ridiculous.

This is my siggy. Love it.

• Options
    Think I may have to enjoy a NA Becks today!! :)
  • Options

Clausthaler is the type of NA beer I found at the liquor store on Memorial Day last week. I think it's German, and it's made in a "traditional German way." It's made by a company called Marke. I bought Marke Clausthaler Golden Amber Non-Alcoholic Beer.

BTW, my husband and I were totally shocked about that orange juice thing, which is based on the results of a U of Indiana study. Most orange juices have between .2 and .5% alcohol by volume. I guess it's just like how every breath of air you take, some of the oxygen (O2) is going to be ozone (O3), just chemically mixed in.

• Options

Allie hit the nail on the head. If you drink OJ, then you shouldn't worry about having an NA beer once in a while. I have one about once a week. I tried NA wine, which also had 0.5% alcohol, but it tasted like grape juice...so I'm sticking w/grape juice instead. Wink

Also, I'm not positive about 0.5% x 10 = 5%...this is measured by volume, so if you have 10 NA beers, you still are technically only having 0.5% alcohol by volume. BUT I realize that's moot, since honestly who's going to drink 10 NA beers at once?? They don't taste all that great so one (or 3/4 of one) is usually plenty for me to get my 'pretend drinking' fix.

He's growing up, but he'll always be my baby!

Nathan--11/4/10

...big brother to...???? Due March 2014!

• Options
    My liquor store opens in 10 min.  I think will have to give some of these NA beers a try!  I have been wanting a beer forever but have been afraid that they would just make me sad bc they wouldn't taste very good.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

NA Becks is great!! And at least in Ontario, Walmart seems to be the best price. Virgin caesars are also amazing and do the trick!!

Enjoy ladies!

• Options
    I think it is totally fine.  I drink N/A beer all the time and it actually tastes great (the Becks and St. Pauli Girl ones are my favorites).  I have had a few glasses of wine in the past few weeks as well. I actually did extensive research on this and was able to find many legitimate, well-founded medical studies which looked at hundreds of thousands of pregnant women and they all showed that it was perfectly safe for you to have a glass of wine or beer after the 1st tri.  Many actually showed it was perfectly fine to have a glass A DAY.  These studies were performed by very reputable sources like Harvard, the American College of Obstetrics & Gynecology, the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences, and the Royal College of Obstetrics & Gynecology. A large study examined 400,000 women in the U.S., all of whom had consumed alcohol during pregnancy. Not a single case of fetal alcohol syndrome occurred and no adverse effects on children were found when consumption was under 8.5 drinks per week. (Wilkie, S. Global overview of drinking recommendations and guidelines. AIM Digest (Supplement), June, 1997, 2-4, p. 4)A study of pregnancies in eight European countries found that consuming no more than one drink per day did not appear to have any effect on fetal growth. A follow-up of children at 18 months of age found that those from women who drank during pregnancy, even two drinks per day, scored higher in several areas of development. (du Florey, D., et al. A European concerted action: maternal alcohol consumption and its relation to the outcome of pregnancy and development at 18 months. International Journal of Epidemiology, 1992, 21)An analysis of seven major medical research studies involving over 130,000 pregnancies suggests that consuming two to 14 drinks per week does not increase the risk of giving birth to a child with either malformations or fetal alcohol syndrome. (Polygenis, D., et al. Moderate alcohol consumption during pregnancy and the incidence of fetal malformations: a meta-analysis. Neurotoxicol Teralol., 1998, 20, 61-67)I could not find a single actual medical study which showed that consuming that amount of alcohol was harmful.  There are plenty of *opinions* out there about it, but I could not locate any sort of actual scientific medical research or studies to support that claim. There are studies showing that binge drinking during pregnancy can cause FAS, but absolutely no scientific data showing that a glass of wine or beer here and there does any harm.  I understand why some doctors say to avoid it entirely, as a liability prevention, but as far as I have been able to find that opinion is purely that: opinion, and not medically based in actual scientific proof.I think everyone has their own opinions on this and has to do what they feel comfortable with.  I personally feel totally comfortable having a glass of wine or beer here and there based on the research I have done. 
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"