2nd Trimester
Options

Who is the bread winner in your family?

I am always curious to see couple dynamics and who is the bread winner! 

For us, we make about the same - I make a little bit more but it isn't that significant.  We work for the same company and whenever there is a dual career couple they establish and leading and trailing spouse for promotion and relocation purposes (meaning the leading spouses career has more weight and they will get better assignments/ promotions).

I was the leading spouse until they found out I was taking 7 months off for maternity leave.  Now DH has been named the leading spouse - it is kind of nice to have that pressure off of my shoulders!

So, who is the bread winner in your house?

Re: Who is the bread winner in your family?

• Options
    kcl22kcl22 member
    I make more than SO base salary but he has more opportunities for overtime so he brings home a good amount more than me.  Thank god because I really don't want to have to work full time when LO gets here...
  • Options
    We are about the same. ?Technically, I make a little more than DH, but DH gets a car allowance each month....so we even out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DH.  I haven't worked since I was bout 4 months (because of all this moving BS)... and won't when the baby comes.
  • Options

DH makes $30 more than me a month.

For that he gets to be the spiritual leader of the household.

Which means he's in charge of getting the booze when we have parties. 

• Options
    It was me when I was making a killing as a mortgage broker. We all know why that's not the case anymore. So, now it's DH. Sadness.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DH is.  When I was working, we made around the same.  But he's military and has WAY better benefits, so he kinda was then, too.  I gotta say, I hate it!  I hate being financially dependent on anyone, but I had to get over that when we decided I would be a SAHM. 
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Hubby... I'm a SAHM. It amazes me when I see double income families going bankrupt or barely making it when we make 40 Gs a year and have no debt except the house. Sorry, that was off topic...
  • Options
    imageQueso:

Ha! Awesome!
  • Options

DH makes quite a bit more than I do, salary-wise. However, I work for a financial institution, and get a preferred mortgage rate, so next year when we buy; i will be saving us $15000-$20000 on morgage payments; if you add that to my income, we will break even with each other.

Also, DH brought more debt into the relationship; does that count for anything?

• Options

DH, definitely!  He makes 2x what I make and he's getting promoted to a director position, where he'll most likely be making 2.5-3x what I make.  We are seriously starting to consider me being a SAHM.  The only problem is that my benefits are better, so everyone is currently on my plan. 

I love my job as an Engineer and make well above the average for an engineer with my experience. I would hate to waste 5 years of schooling, but I would love to be a SAHM, especially while our kids are younger.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am.  Working on making H be a SAHD.
  • Options
    kcl22kcl22 member

imageBeth823:
    Hubby... I'm a SAHM. It amazes me when I see double income families going bankrupt or barely making it when we make 40 Gs a year and have no debt except the house. Sorry, that was off topic...

Please share your secrets.  I wouldn't say we're barely making it and we could definitely cut back but I'm already worried about going part time

Sorry for hijacking post, had to comment

• Options
    LCB34LCB34 member

imageBeth823:

I'm sure most double income couple are living a much different lifestyle that you are.  Including nice homes, cars, vacations, etc.

I do agree though that it is so ridiculous that people with jobs can't budget and save.

• Options
    For us, it's DH. He's in IT; I'm in publishing and academia.
    "To me, you are perfect."

• Options

I make slightly more than DH on a monthly basis (my wage vs. his salary), but he "owns" his store so he will get dividends that put him above me.  Although, I'm a shareholder, so I can get dividends too.  It's all very confusing.  That's what accountants are for, I guess.  But, I think when it comes down to it, we're pretty even.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    t.birdt.bird member

technically the hubs- he brings in about $30k more per year.

but i definately pay for my fair share- though i must say i expect him to pay for more (which he does)

• Options
    imageQueso:

I almost just fell out of my chair laughing.

• Options

imagekcl22:
    I make more than SO base salary but he has more opportunities for overtime so he brings home a good amount more than me.  Thank god because I really don't want to have to work full time when LO gets here...

Same for me. 

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • Options
    When I was working my salary was more than his base pay, but with his military benefits (housing/utilities/insurance) he certainly makes more. It's driving me crazy not working, since there's not a mental health clinic on our base, but I'm starting to wrap my head around being a SAHM for a bit.
  • Options

Well SO had an accident in March so he hasn't been working (workmans comp) but that is besides the point.

I make more salary wise and have the most ridiculously fabulous benefits.

In the winters he get's layed off and plows so at that time of year he brings home way more than I do.

• Options
    He makes more, but our health benefits are paid 100% through my employers (for myself, him, and will be for all children), so it evens out almost.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options

I substitute teach right now very part time (childcare issues - one of us had to stay home most of the time - not that we can't afford childcare, just there isn't much in this area for childcare).    But.... even working full time I would never make as much as DH, so it makes more sense for me to be at home more often than him.   Which is kind of funny, because I have two university degrees and DH has non whatsoever.   Go figure.

So.... DH is the breadwinner and I am the breadspender:)

• Options

Me. DH had been a full-time student for the past year or so, but right now he's a full-time SAHH, soon to be SAHD.

It's very possible that when DH is done with school, he'll earn more than me, especially if I eventually become freelance/self-employed. But either way, we're cool. It's all "our" money.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    DH makes 2x more than I do :( I'm trying to catch up though! Me- Gov worker, contracts, so it may take a loooong time LOL, him- private industry sr. software engineer... Guess I shouldn't have flunked my Java college courses! I Guess it just wasn't my calling.
  • Options
    DH was the bread winner {he owns a real estate company and a mortgage co.} I think that right now we about break even but things have been picking up for him so that will hopefully change soon.
  • Options
    DH makes more than I do, but I'm not too far behind him. Now once he is hired on by the managing company (right now he subcontracts) he'll be making roughly twice what I make. I don't really care either way.
  • Options

DH makes a lot more than I do. I'm part time...but, even it I were full time, he'd still blow me away.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

DH (attorney) right now...but as of next week I (currently counselor - new job as Assist. Dir.) will make more.  After 4 months I am out and will SAH though - so it will be on him and my periodic consultant work.

• Options
    imageMonkey304:
    imageQueso:

I almost just fell out of my chair laughing.

Awesome :).

I only make about 2/3 of what DH does but we don't really consider him the "breadwinner" since we base our expenses mostly on my income in case he were ever to lose his job...for example we could still pay our mortgage on my income alone.

But the extra is appreciated!

• Options

That'd be me - DH is SAHD

After DS came along we decided for one of us to stay home, I didn't make much more than him but my job came w/ great benefits so he won the toss up for stay at home parent

• Options
    We live with in our means. We have one car, and if I need it I drop him off at work and pick him up otherwise I take a walk where I need to go. We don't have tv, we watch what we want on hulu and occasionally rent movies. We don't go out to movies, we just wait for them to come out (unless we have a gift card.)  We eat at home, but we go out to eat once a week. We invest what we save in a 401k, stocks, or CDs. We pay everything we can up front like car insurance. Mainly we don't go out and buy stuff. Between my friends and I, I think that's the main difference. I don't go to starbucks everyday. Oh, and we bought a fixer upper house off auction. We pay less than we did renting a 1 bed 640 sq ft apt. DH painted, put in new floors, did molding... all him self. 
  • Options
    Oh DH for sure. But he also works ridiculous hours and has more physical labor than i do. Although we both have to deal with the BSC old folks here in the villages.
  • Options

Before losing my job last month, I made a considerable amount more than SO.

Now he's the breadwinner.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

DH makes more, but I get the much better health and retirement benefits.

I'm not really sure either of us is the bread winner, per se.  We would be ok on either salary.

• Options
    DH makes more on a regular basis but I have the power to make more depending on how many clients I take on.
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageLILBIT1221:
    Oh DH for sure. But he also works ridiculous hours and has more physical labor than i do. Although we both have to deal with the BSC old folks here in the villages.

OMG The Villages!  Heaven's Waiting Room!

• Options
    imageLCB34:

imageBeth823:

I'm sure most double income couple are living a much different lifestyle that you are.  Including nice homes, cars, vacations, etc.

I do agree though that it is so ridiculous that people with jobs can't budget and save.

No, those double-income couples filing for bankruptcy just make poor financial decisions.  We're on one income, and we live in a very nice home, in a very nice town, great school district, both drive great cars and go on vacations.  We just manage our money wisely, that's it.

And we don't own our home.  But we do have loans on both cars...which will be paid off within a year.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I make more than my husband, plus my job offers benefits.  He owns his business, so the business makes plenty of coin, but we reinvest it back into inventory, employees, etc.  We are actually considering selling the business so he can stay home with the baby.  We haven't worked all the kinks out of that plan yet, because we would still need some other form of income eventually. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DH is, even when I was still in the military, he was.. He has more time in and higher ranking then I was.. 

But Now I'm out and currently just a SAHW, soon-to-be SAHM so DH is the breadwinner 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

imagelilmgirl:
    I am.  Working on making H be a SAHD.

This, DH has a pretty crappy job that has unreliable hours, I'm hoping he'll be up for staying home and finishing school so he can be the breadwinner someday.

Birthday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"