Military Families

PCSing to Ft. Hood

Anyone here stationed at Ft. Hood now or in the past?  We just found out we will be stationed there in December.  Where is a good place to live? Is on base housing nice? What is there to do in the area?  I am looking for any and all information you are willing to share.  TIA!

Re: PCSing to Ft. Hood

• We just moved from there last year after DH being stationed there for almost 8 years. 

On base housing is hit or miss for the most part.  The newer housing is nice, but friends that lived there always complained that the walls were thin so you tend to hear your neighbors a lot.  The older housing is... well older... but it's pretty nice and big for what it is.

We lived off post in the southern part of Killeen, close to highway 95.  Most of the newer areas of town (Killeen as well as Copperas Cove and Harker Heights) are decent to live in.  I think their zoning laws are kind of weird though (especially in Heights) because you'll have a really nice neighborhood just a few blocks away from a really not-nice neighborhood.  The area we lived was new and nice, but we still had issues because just a few streets away there were constant issues with drugs, robbery, and even the occasional shooting. 

I think if we ever have to move back there we'll try to find something in Harker Heights, or closer to that side of town anyway. 

As far as what there is to do... um not a whole lot.  If you're into outdoors stuff like fishing and hunting there are a lot of good places in the area for that.  The bowling alley on post is HUGE and really nice.  I would stay away from most of the night clubs unless you want to get knifed in the parking lot.  Austin is about an hour south, Temple is about 15 minutes east, and Waco is about 30-45 minutes northeast.  All of those have a few more options for things to do. 

• I lived there for 5 years. I started out in Copperas Cove (do not recommend) and moved to Harker Heights. I liked HH a lot. There are dozens of newer subdivisions in Killeen that are nice. Stay south of 190 and you'll be fine. There's not a lot to do in the Ft Hood area, but I loved living there because we took frequent trips to Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I just moved to Killeen from the Austin area about 2 months ago but my fiancee has been stationed here almost 2 years. We live off post as do a majority of our friends. I only had one friend live on base and she hated it the whole time. She lived in one of the newer developments and it was a nice place but like was already mentioned above the walls were pretty thin and there was just so much more drama with people with on post housing compared to ours. Traffic sucks right now though...we get up at 4:30 every day so he can make it to PT on time because if he doesn't leave by 4:50 he probably isn't going to make it on time and we only live like 10 minutes away from main gate. It wasn't too bad when he first came home in January but once more of 1st Cav came home and everyone returned from leave it built up to where now he's got to leave that early. I haven't really learned what all is around me yet. I still work in Austin so I spend most of my time commuting back and forth every day (65 miles one way) and a majority of the activities we seem to do are in Round Rock (just north of Austin).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I lived there before. Definatley Harker Heights is the best place to live I think. We lived there. It has grown around HH since we left a few years ago. Hood isn't bad at all... lots of stuff around.
  • No, but we have orders for Ft. Hood in April 2011! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm at Ft. Hood!! :) Where you coming from?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Stay south of 190 for the best neighborhoods. Killeen and HH are better than Cove- the drive from Cove is horrible during the high traffic times. As far as thing to do- travel! Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth and San Antonio are all great to visit on the weekends.

image image
  • magretmagret member

Thanks Ladies!

We are currently stationed at Robins AFB in Georgia.  Yes, my husband is AF so we don't really have any friends that know anything about Ft. Hood.  I am so ready for something new and think it will be a lot of fun. :) 

• Hey there, I'm new on this board and will post an intro soon, but I just wanted to quickly give my two cents here! 

I am from Austin, but have a dear friend of mine who is stationed at Ft. Hood. I have gone to visit them a few times, they actually bought a brand new house 7 months ago and it's darling! Sadly, they just got orders to PCS to Alaska in January. They are going to rent out their house. Not sure on how much or exactly the area where they live (I know it's like 10 min from base though).

Anyway, if you have any questions or would like info on their house, just let me know!
    Congrats on the orders!  

image ~~~Jan 31st, 2010. Back together again.~~~
  • We have orders to go to Ft. Hood in October!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"