2nd Trimester
Options

Is there no such thing as a regular crib anymore?

I don't want a damn convertible crib.  I want a regular crib, that I will use as a crib, and then get the kid a bed.  Even when the website gives an option "standard" or "convertible", I choose "standard" and every damn crib is convertible. WTF!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is there no such thing as a regular crib anymore?

• Options
    t.birdt.bird member
    i guess i don't get why you wouldn't want to take advantage of the convertible option? seems like a win win to me!
  • Options
    With most of the convertible ones you have to buy the extra stuff to make it a full size bed. So in reality it is a normal bed unless you upgrade it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imaget.bird:
    i guess i don't get why you wouldn't want to take advantage of the convertible option? seems like a win win to me!

Can I just tell you that your daughter is absolutely adorable?

I love when you put a new picture. She just get's cuter!

• Options
    LCB34LCB34 member

imaget.bird:

Some people don't like the way cribs look when converted.  I know that I would never use one in my house b/c the footboard looks way to tall for me.  I just don't like most them.

• Options
    Don't go online, go into a store, and not BRU, a smaller kids furniture store, they'll have them.  And for us, the reason to get a "regular" crib were that we could reuse it for future children.  Our son will go to a regular twin bed soon.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    t.birdt.bird member
    imageMonkey304:

imaget.bird:

Can I just tell you that your daughter is absolutely adorable?

I love when you put a new picture. She just get's cuter!

thank you!!!

and LCB- makes sense. my thoughts when buying her crib = "buy now & no buy later! hooray! win for me!" heh.

• Options
    Like PP have suggested, try searching "classic" cribs, and try going to a store other than BRU.  We got a Bonavita convertible crib, but the model we got also comes in a classic (non convertible) style that is actually really pretty.
  • Options

imaget.bird:

We weren't looking for either in particular, just a good price. We knew we would try to have more kids in the near future, so a convertible was not a must for our family.  My sorority sisters bought us a wonderful non-convertible Jenny Lind from a discount store ( I think it was a Big Lots) and it has held up nicely! We can't wait to use it for our next one.

• Options

imaget.bird:

I live in New York City in an 800 square foot apartment.  I'll never have room for a full size bed in my child's room. I need a crib and then I'll need a bed, to use the crib for my second kid.  Thanks.

• Options
    t.birdt.bird member
    imageBrezza:

According to my Baby Bargains book the convertible cribs are kind of a waste. They suggest getting a standard crib and then just moving on to a twin bed. Seems sensible to me.

why does it say they're a waste? don't most convertible cribs convert to a twin sized bed? i'm pretty sure ours does...just curious. :)

• Options
    imageJaimers375:
    Don't go online, go into a store, and not BRU, a smaller kids furniture store, they'll have them.  And for us, the reason to get a "regular" crib were that we could reuse it for future children.  Our son will go to a regular twin bed soon.
    Your reasoning doesn't really make sense though.  A convertible crib can be reused for future children and on your last child you can convert the crib to a twin.  So it actually does save you money from having to buy a twin bed.
  • Options
    imaget.bird:
    imageBrezza:

According to my Baby Bargains book the convertible cribs are kind of a waste. They suggest getting a standard crib and then just moving on to a twin bed. Seems sensible to me.

why does it say they're a waste? don't most convertible cribs convert to a twin sized bed? i'm pretty sure ours does...just curious. :)

Yeah, I don't see how they're a waste either except that they may be more expensive than a standard crib.
  • Options
    imagemrsf123:

imaget.bird:

I live in New York City in an 800 square foot apartment.  I'll never have room for a full size bed in my child's room. I need a crib and then I'll need a bed, to use the crib for my second kid.  Thanks.

But nobody's forcing you to use the convertible crib as a twin bed, right?  You could still get a convertible then get a twin bed later.  Like PP said, most convertibles require a converter kit.  Just don't get the kit.  Done and done. 

• Options
    LCB34LCB34 member
    imaget.bird:
    imageBrezza:

Most convert into a full size bed.

• Options
    They convert to a toddler bed then a full.
  • Options
    imageLCB34:

imaget.bird:

Some people don't like the way cribs look when converted.  I know that I would never use one in my house b/c the footboard looks way to tall for me.  I just don't like most them.

This too. I think most of the headboards end up looking like the sides of cribs.  I don't know about you guys, but I never had a headboard as a kid that had slots!

• Options
    t.birdt.bird member
    imagemrsf123:

this makes sense.

wasn't being a b- just have the mindset that convertible = win in most situations (IMO) :)

• Options
    imagemrsf123:
    imageLCB34:

imaget.bird:

This too. I think most of the headboards end up looking like the sides of cribs.  I don't know about you guys, but I never had a headboard as a kid that had slots!

This one doesn't. 

• Options
    t.birdt.bird member

also, i think most fo the convertibles have lots of options- like so:

and word- the baseboard does look big- i like it off better!

• Options
    imaget.bird:
    imageBrezza:

Actually, they convert to a FULL size bed.  According to baby bargains, you usually have to buy a very expensive "conversion kit" and if you don't buy the kit right away, the brand could stop making compatible ones.  As I understand it, you still need to buy the full size mattress and possibly box spring anyway, even if the crib is a convertible.  Frankly, I think it's a bit of a racket.

• Options
    imaget.bird:
    imagemrsf123:

this makes sense.

wasn't being a b- just have the mindset that convertible = win in most situations (IMO) :)

No worries.  I totally didn't take it that way.  Sorry if I came off as a b- Just a little frustrated!  

• Options
    JDOJDO member

We're getting a convertible just because we prefer the style that is taller in the back and shorter on the sides and front. It seems like all regular cribs are taller on the sides and shorter in the front and back.

They may not be a good deal to get the crib and conversion kit if 1. you don't have the space to convert into a full sized bed (most kids use twin beds anyway) and 2. if you get a cheap crib that will have scratches and nicks and teeth marks in it be the time you are ready to convert it. If you don't think you'll want to convert it, skip out on buying the $100-ish conversion kit and you're honestly not paying any more than a standard crib anyway. Then it's not really a waste of money. We debated on getting the conversion kit, I didn't want to and DH did. He won.

• Options

imagemo duinne:
    imageJaimers375:
    Your reasoning doesn't really make sense though.  A convertible crib can be reused for future children and on your last child you can convert the crib to a twin.  So it actually does save you money from having to buy a twin bed.

Like PP have said, convertible cribs convert to a full size bed, you still need to buy a new full size mattress.  I live in a 1100 SqF home, there isn't room for a full size bed in some of the bedrooms.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageJaimers375:

imagemo duinne:
    imageJaimers375:

Like PP have said, convertible cribs convert to a full size bed, you still need to buy a new full size mattress.  I live in a 1100 SqF home, there isn't room for a full size bed in some of the bedrooms.

That reasoning makes sense. 
  • Options
    Ikea. You can visit their website as well. They have VERY basic cribs.
  • Options
    We got a convert. and are not going to change it from a crib.  We decided that we loved the crib so we didnt buy the extra parts to change it into a bed later.  We will use the crib we bought for other LO(s) and just buy beds.
  • Options
    Ikea has very simple cribs.
  • Options
    I'm also choosing to get a regular crib. I just don't like the look of the convertibles at all. I'm looking at a Munire set that has the option of a regular crib. They're out there you just have to look. As other people suggested go to a smaller kids furniture store and ask.
  • Options
    No apparently. We don't want a convertible one either - we want a crib to use for babies, and then beds when we're ready for them. Since we want one or two more, why buy a convertible crib each time?
    8 month cutie

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Check out the Munire Safeside cribs. That is what we got- the newport.

https://www.munirefurniture.com/safeside_01.htm

I think full sized beds suck. Too small for two people, too big for a little kid. And some babies will teeth the heck out of the crib. 

• Options
    smerkasmerka member
    We went with Ikea's Gulliver.  My thinking was that the baby's not going to know what crib he was in and we'd invest in some kid furniture when his personality comes out and he can express an opinion.  I've always thought that having a footboard in a kid's bedroom is just asking for trouble - especially with two boys.  You know they're just going to slam their heads into it or something worse.
  • Options
    imagemrsf123:
    imaget.bird:
    imageBrezza:

Actually, they convert to a FULL size bed.  According to baby bargains, you usually have to buy a very expensive "conversion kit" and if you don't buy the kit right away, the brand could stop making compatible ones.  As I understand it, you still need to buy the full size mattress and possibly box spring anyway, even if the crib is a convertible.  Frankly, I think it's a bit of a racket.

OK, gotta add my 2 cents here...

The crib I got for DS is a convertible crib. I have converted it to a toddler bed and it's been working out great. When he's old enough, we'll convert it to a full sized bed. (We have the space for that) I don't need to buy a full sized mattress and box spring anyways b/c I had one that we used in the guest bedroom and now we don't have a guest bedroom (second kid is coming). So, win win for me.

Secondly... there are convertible cribs that convert to a twin sized bed. I know the company I bought my kids cribs from have them b/c I considered getting one that converted to a twin instead of a full. (But, went with a full b/c I had a twin as a kid and always wanted a bigger bed so my dog could sleep in there with me.)

Thirdly, I don't consider it a waste. If you're going to spend a few hundred dollars on a crib in the first place, what's the big deal about spending another $120 (at least that's what I spent) to make it a full-sized bed later on. My toddler bed conversion was free for DS b/c it was a safety-gate crib, and the gate came off and became the guard rail.

Yes, PP is correct, most places will recommend you buy the conversion when you buy the crib in case they get discontinued (we did) but even in a small place you can still store it under the bed in your room.. or at least, I did.  If you were to buy a new twin bed later, how much would that cost? You'd also have to buy a new mattress and box spring then too. At least with a convertible crib, you pay once for the bed, and use it for life. Only needing to buy (or re-use) a new mattress/box spring later... which you would have to do regardless... at least this way you're only buying the actual furniture once.

All in all... in my opinion.... I would look at Baby's Dream I love their furniture and they're really nice, quality, affordable (to me) and eco-friendly/non-toxic.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"