2nd Trimester
Options

borrowing a breast pump.

A girl I work with who will stop breastfeeding in 4 months, is letting me borrow her Medela Pump in Style. I am behind thrilled! What should I get new though? Just tubing and storage bottles?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: borrowing a breast pump.

• Options

I believe all you need new is the tubing.  Teh storage bottles are large enough that they can be sterilized sufficiently.

I am REALLY hoping my friend will let me borrow hers.  It seems like such a waste since I am only planning on breastfeeding for 3 months after I go back to work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    From all the research I've done, I've read that it's best not borrow a personal pump at all, even if all of the tubing is replaced. I've read that milk can still get into the motor and cause cross-contamination. I believe that there are only certain models (hospital-grade) that are safe for more than one user, and that model is not one of them.
    "To me, you are perfect."

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm planning to borrow one from a friend and figured I'd just replace the tubes.  Does anyone know if there is a serious risk if some cross contamination does occur?  Or is it just a "gross cooties" thing.
    We said "I Do" on 9/27/2008!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageckettenb:
    I'm planning to borrow one from a friend and figured I'd just replace the tubes.  Does anyone know if there is a serious risk if some cross contamination does occur?  Or is it just a "gross cooties" thing.

Here's a Consumer Reports article about it.

"To me, you are perfect."

• Options

imageckettenb:

Yeah, unless it's a true hospital-grade pump, cross contamination is truly a worry.  If some milk gets beyond the tubing, it can't be cleaned out....

It is a little bit of "uckies" type feeling, but the risk of the cross contamination is enough to make me buy one, or at least get the hospital-grade one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageckettenb:

Some infections/diseases can go undetected.  That is enough for me to be swayed.  I wouldn't borrow or buy a used breast pump from anyone...not even my sister whom I am super close with.  There is no way in hell I would risk anything to save a couple hundred dollars. Just sayin.

• Options
    I borrowed my pump from my SIL and had no problems whatsoever (it was a PISA). All I had to buy was a replacement kit and the tubes. The PISA is considered a hospital grade pump so I didn't worry too much. 
    Married 6-30-07, BFP 9-1-07, M/C & D&C 10-5-07, BFP #2 6-20-08, BFP #3 3-28-2010 Mommy to Ethan born 2-22-09 7lbs 13.5oz & 21" long SAL Buddy to March04b2b imageFamily Blog|Food Blog
  • Options

If you replace the diaphragm and the tubing on the PIS, there's no risk of cross contamination.  Everything that could've touched milk (if the pump was run by a moron) has been replaced.

Easy peasy.

• Options
     I just wanted to give you a heads up. I was planning on using my cousins since she offered it to me- the same one as you! And I was so super excited to save money. I went to babys r us last week to find out you cant buy new tubing. They do that purposly. I was so upset and am honestly rethinking BF exclusively because I dont wanna buy a pump if it doesnt work out. Well, thats what the lady who works there told me when I tried to find them! Anyways, good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"