2nd Trimester
Options

Carpal Tunnel

Did anyone else get Carpal Tunnel while pregnant?

I think I have it.

I mentioned the numbness and the tingling sensation I get in my left hand to my Doctor. He kind of brushed it off and told me that I have two options which is physical therapy or surgery. if it gets worse..

Well last night it got really bad, I couldn't sleep, and my hand just kept getting sharp tingling sensation keeping me awake. So I jumped online and looked it up. and there are way more options out there then what the doctor told me. One of which was a wrist support. 
So I went to walmart this morning and picked one up. OH MY Goodness, the difference I'm already feeling. I'm tempted to run back and get the right hand one, for my other hand! the numbness is going away, I feel like I have a lot more support in my hand now, and I'm much more comfortable. 

So anyone else get this? or have this? or had it? 

What else did you do to help it? 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Carpal Tunnel

• Options

:::::raises hand::::

Me.  It sucks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had it with my last pg and I got the wrist braces from my doctor, but never really felt like they did all that much...I just dealt with it and it went away after I gave birth...
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I've earned $55 in Amazon gift cards just for using the swagbucks search engine...ready to start earning free stuff? Click my referral link below!

Search & Win
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    image~LittleOne~:

I think I have it.

I mentioned the numbness and the tingling sensation I get in my left hand to my Doctor. He kind of brushed it off and told me that I have two options which is physical therapy or surgery. if it gets worse..

Well last night it got really bad, I couldn't sleep, and my hand just kept getting sharp tingling sensation keeping me awake. So I jumped online and looked it up. and there are way more options out there then what the doctor told me. One of which was a wrist support. 
    So I went to walmart this morning and picked one up. OH MY Goodness, the difference I'm already feeling. I'm tempted to run back and get the right hand one, for my other hand! the numbness is going away, I feel like I have a lot more support in my hand now, and I'm much more comfortable. 

He said THIS?!?  My practice gave me two wrist/arm supports which certainly help - but nothing has been mentioned about surgery.  I use them in bed too, as I was waking up all hours of the night due to this - and now I am not...sounds like you are fine with the supports and I would recommend getting another one.

• Options
    Actually, I have a squishy ball.  It's awesome.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageJenZuanich:
    image~LittleOne~:

I think I have it.

He said THIS?!?  My practice gave me two wrist/arm supports which certainly help - but nothing has been mentioned about surgery.  I use them in bed too, as I was waking up all hours of the night due to this - and now I am not...sounds like you are fine with the supports and I would recommend getting another one.

Yup that is what he told me.. never mentioned wrist supports, or icing my wrist nothing. just straight to physical threapy (which he said off-handed) and then launched into about the surgery.. which is why I said no, and didn't mentioned it again. I'll be mentioned it again when I go back for my next appt in June, (which is with a different doctor same practice, but with the Doctor I actually like and learned a lot from him, spite not understanding him very well) 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Funny that you posted this.  My OB just mentioned this to me yesterday.  She said most people sleep with their hands curled, which inhibits circulation.  She said try to to sleep with your hands pressed against each other under your cheek, like you're praying.  She also recommended the wrist supports. 
    TTC since Jan. 07
    6 IUIs,IVF #1 w/ICSI = BFP!
    Betas, 332 & 856 = twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Our baby girl is here!
  • Options

I have it from before pg.  I've been to physical therapy and done some drugs.  I've also worn a wrist brace with thumb splint. 

Right now, my only option is to wear a cast for 3 weeks--but since it's (now) a pg related problem, I don't see how incapacitating myself is really going to do any good, so I'm leaning toward nothing, though I should probably start wearing my brace again.

After pg, my options are a corisone shot directly into the tendon, a cast, or surgery. 

If you can go to physical therapy, go--I LOVED mine.  Loved the PT and they gave me lots of good stretching exercises to do as well as regular hand/arm massages that were wonderful!

Honor3 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Jb&JbJb&Jb member

i had it with #1 but it didn't get bad until near the end.  it started around 30 weeks or so and by 36 weeks it was excruciating.  nothing helped.  the wrist braces were worthless.  i had to (attempt) to sleep sitting up with my arms propped on pillows.  no more side sleeping!  the only thing that made it go away (and it never completely went away) was delivery and time. 

my new doctor mentioned that he had one patient that had it so bad it was "debilitating" and he advised her to have surgery.  I think if i had that doctor at the time, he would have advised me to have surgery as well.  apparently since it never went away for me, it will probably come back sooner and worse.  i will have to really REALLY explore the benefits/risks of having the surgery while pregnant if it gets like last time.  after surgery i'll be out of commission - but i was the same way with the CT.  i couldn't even slice up my dinner for goodness sakes!

eta:  i see some replies mentioning physical therapy.  i brought this up to my doc and his thoughts on it were that since it's an internal thing that's not brought on by outside stressors, that physical therapy will do minimal good. 

if it gets bad enough - it can be as incapacitating as having the surgery - everyone has it to different degrees

• Options
    I started getting it around 9 weeks in my left pinky and ring finger. My doctor looked at me as if i was crazy when i mentioned what was going on.... glad i read this...i knew i wasnt crazy!!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    MeesheMeeshe member
    I have it anyway but it got much worse at the end of my 1st pregnancy.  I couldn't open anything, couldn't write, do my hair, etc.  Wearing the braces while sleeping are a big help, I've done it for year (super-sexy).  Just make sure you have the right kind of brace-it should have a metal support for the underside of your arm which will keep your wrists straight.  You also don't want it to be too tight because the whole point is that swelling and increased fluids puts presurre on the nerve going through a small opening.  You don't want to add pressure.  It can also take a few weeks to go away after delivery FYI-as the extra fluids in your body go away.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"