2nd Trimester
Options

nuchal skinfold thickness at 6mm

I have a question.  I posted before, but was so shaken from my US that I don't think I had all the facts strait.  We had our 20 week ultrasound and our little girl had a nuchal skinfold thickness of more that 6mm which is an indicator for Down Syndrome (it wasn't too high though 5.8, 6.3, and 6.7, they measured it 3 times and got 3 different results).  She didn't have any other indicators.  Well now my doctor wants me to see a genetic counseler and get a few more tests done.  She didn't seem too worried, but I am terrified.  Has anyone else had higher numbers, and nothing was wrong?
Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers VOTE on my Name List

Re: nuchal skinfold thickness at 6mm

• Options
    I think that there are tons of false positives! Try not to get too worked up now (easier said than done), and talk to a genetic counselor. They may want you to do an amnio, which is totally up to you. Good luck!!!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I wouldn't worry too much about it. One of my coworkers have 3 children- all of their nuchal folds measured between 4 and 9mm. None of them have Down's Syndrome. Just follow up with your doc and the genetic counselor.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    when we had the test done the baby wouldnt get in a good position to measure, they got a measurement, but not sure how realible i was.... the genetic counselor told us the ultrasound is like 7% factor and the blood test is 85% factor.... so wait and see what they say after the blood work is done!
  • Options
    A few of us were discussing this earlier in regards to cysts, another marker for genetic disorders. Many of the women said that they think the reason that doctors inform you about these results is to avoid malpractice law suits. If all of the other measures were normal I wouldn't worry just yet. Try the genetic counseling, but I would advise against the amnio unless you really feel it is necessary. Amniocentesis has a 1/250 miscarriage rate.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    shakesshakes member
    I used to be a nanny and the fam I worked for had a little boy that tested highly positive for every genetic marker one could imagine. They debated on termination and other options. They choose to have him and do their best to give him a good life. In the end, he is a perfectly healthy little man who never ceases to amaze everyone. False positive are abundant, a chance is not a for sure! Chin up! :O)

• Options
    I'm a little late replying, but I wanted to say that if these measurements were taken at 20 weeks, they mean nothing.  The NT scan and measurements have to be taken in between 11 and 13 weeks for accuracy.  After that, the measurements don't tell you anything about Down's risk.  I wouldn't worry unless the higher measurement was related to a cyst or hygroma which a clearly seen on the US and the doc would have mentioned and had you talk to the genetic counselor right away (this happened to me at 12 weeks).  Good Luck!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"