Babies: 3 - 6 Months

I'm debating switching her to her "big girl" car seat

I can't handle her in her carrier anymore She weighs 20 pounds. That plus the weight of the carrier is enough to give anyone back problems.

I have a cover for the cart when we go to Target, etc. She's tripoding now so I feel confident that the straps/buckles will hold her upright for a shopping trip.

So, what do you ladies think? Are there any other downsides to moving her to a convertible car seat now?

The only other thing I can think of is going out to eat. We shouldn't be eating out right now anyway (money is tight) but, on the off chance that we do, I can stick her carrier in the trunk and just take it into the restaurant with us...

I figure between her and the carrier I'm lugging around almost 30 pounds. My three year old only weighs 38.....

Re: I'm debating switching her to her "big girl" car seat

• As long as she is rearfacing I think it should be fine. For going out to eat you could also bring a lightweight stroller if you have one. I would do it if Lia was 20 pounds, but I have a little peanut of a baby who is around 11.5 or 12 pounds.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    M/C Dec 2010 - 5w5d Missing my sweet angel baby.
  • It's tough when you go out.  I had to switch Eli at 2 months....his shoulders were too big for the infant seat width-wise.  He couldn't sit up anywhere and we never went out to eat--we would get takeout.  I finally bought a double stroller because I needed to be able to have a transport system.  He'd probably be okay sitting up in a grocery cart now, but I'm still not sure I feel 100% comfortable with it.  He's been tripoding for a few months now, but sitting straight up?  Not sure.  If I padded him really good, he'd be okay, but then what would I do with Sam?  Ugh.  And I want 3 kids?!?  The next one in a year?!?  Am I stupid or something?
  • Loading the player...
  • aegrimmaegrimm member

imageSamsMom91:
    It's tough when you go out.  I had to switch Eli at 2 months....his shoulders were too big for the infant seat width-wise.  He couldn't sit up anywhere and we never went out to eat--we would get takeout.  I finally bought a double stroller because I needed to be able to have a transport system.  He'd probably be okay sitting up in a grocery cart now, but I'm still not sure I feel 100% comfortable with it.  He's been tripoding for a few months now, but sitting straight up?  Not sure.  If I padded him really good, he'd be okay, but then what would I do with Sam?  Ugh.  And I want 3 kids?!?  The next one in a year?!?  Am I stupid or something?

lol, Nathan refused to be in the cart as soon as he could walk. As long as the store wasn't crowded I encouraged it and now he knows that if he puts one toe out of line in the store it's curtains for him. Wink However, we want to have another one so that the new baby will be born when Lily is aout 2.5.... Indifferent  I know I'm insane.

I do have a front carrier (the Infantino ones...NOT the sling). I suppose I could put her in that in the store...

• Shell24Shell24 member

Even for shopping trips you could toss the carrier in the trunk!

I want to say we moved my DD when she was 7 months.  I couldn't lug her around in the infant seat anymore...and I don't think she was even 20 pounds yet. 

My DS is already getting way too heavy and he's a peanut.  And I think the carriers weigh...what...10 lbs on their own?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • aegrimmaegrimm member
    imageShell24:

I want to say we moved my DD when she was 7 months.  I couldn't lug her around in the infant seat anymore...and I don't think she was even 20 pounds yet. 

My DS is already getting way too heavy and he's a peanut.  And I think the carriers weigh...what...10 lbs on their own?

::headdesk::

It's been a long weekend, Shell. I can't believe I didn't even think of that. Indifferent

That is an incredibly awesome idea. Let's just pretend this little blonde moment of mine never happened, mmmkay?

• DS does not like to be in the car seat for too long. When we go to eat we bring him and the bouncy chair along. We request a booth seat and push the bouncy chair in there. He sits fine and it doesn't restrict his view of everything. The bouncy seat is also lighter than the carrier.

For shopping I baby wear him, unless he is sleeping.

• Shell24Shell24 member
    imageaegrimm:
    imageShell24:

It's been a long weekend, Shell. I can't believe I didn't even think of that. Indifferent

That is an incredibly awesome idea. Let's just pretend this little blonde moment of mine never happened, mmmkay?

LOL, you're too funny.  I could see not thinking of that...it's much easier to have the baby in the front part of the cart and actually have room for groceries. 

• aegrimmaegrimm member
    imageShell24:
    imageaegrimm:
    imageShell24:

LOL, you're too funny.  I could see not thinking of that...it's much easier to have the baby in the front part of the cart and actually have room for groceries. 

My husband likes when I put her in the main part of the cart at Target because it means a formula trip doesn't turn into a $100 shopping spree.

• I've already stopped taking the carseat out unless I need to put it on the stroller or he's just fallen asleep.  I only have a snap n go so I'll keep the infant seat for quite a while. 

I was recently at my mom's and she's bought a convertible for DS.  He cried every time he went into it.  I found that particular one hard to adjust the tightness (hard to pull the strap).  It was hard to get it adjusted right so it was reclining well enough. And it sucked those rare instances when he was asleep and I would have liked to have just transferred the carseat.

I will continue to just use the infant seat like a convertible until he outgrows it.  Why give up the flexibility unless you need to?

• imageaegrimm:
    imageShell24:
    imageaegrimm:
    imageShell24:

My husband likes when I put her in the main part of the cart at Target because it means a formula trip doesn't turn into a $100 shopping spree.

I was just doing our May budget to see where the heck all of our money goes, and I was shocked how much I spend at Target.  It is ridiculous.  I'm going to have to enforce a no Target ban on myself.

• imageaegrimm:

I do have a front carrier (the Infantino ones...NOT the sling). I suppose I could put her in that in the store...

This is what I do, in an Ergo.  Z is 18 pounds... I haven't taken her in a store in the bucket in months.  We're about to switch to the convertible seat, too.  I think she's easier to handle in the store when she's being worn in the carrier, as well, especially if she's facing me.  She can look around and see things, but she can rest her head on my if she needs a break. 

IMG_3932
  • My DS is 20lbs as well and we're still lugging him in the infant carrier. I think we're going to make the big move in a few weeks. I'm going to miss that thing-I love the convenience of being able to run errands whenever since he'll just nap in it. Now we'll have to schedule trips to run errands around his nap times.

Don't feel bad, I didn't think of keeping the carrier in the car for times you need it like going out to dinner. I'm definitely going to do that this weekend. lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"