Breastfeeding
Options

Is starting solids "weaning"?

I was reading on wholesomebabyfood.com about bananas for future and this is what I read...

When can I introduce Bananas to my baby?

Bananas may be introduced to your baby as early as 4 months old. Please remember that the recommended age to begin weaning is 6 months old however. As always we recommend you consult with your pediatrician about introducing solid foods to your baby.

I thought weaning was not BFing anymore, I didn't think it was giving solids... I'm confused. What do you think?

Re: Is starting solids "weaning"?

• Options
    MrsZizMrsZiz member
    We didn't start anything until 6 months and DD is not weaning, she still nurses about 8 times a day. I would say the older she's gotten the less frequent she nurses. She only eats 2, sometimes 3 "meals" a day... which is 3 ice cubes of food (we make our own). I don't personally think it's weaning but some people do. I think weaning is TRYING to be done with nursing. 
  • Options

Yes, weaning can refer to starting solids. Does it mean completely weaning from BFing? No, it means that it's a very gradual process and baby is no longer relying solely on BFing.

Some poeple do "baby lead weaning" which means babies are offered foods (not purees or baby foods) that they can eat/explore on their own. The "weaning" part means the slow process into eating solids while still BFing but relying on food as well as BFing. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's just a word... you can make what you want of it... it is what it is... But it is common in breastfeeding literature, to consider that introducing solids is the beginning of weaning...like LLL has a series meeting on "Nutrition and weaning" (and it's not about stopping cold turkey and binding your breasts!) but since there is no time frame saying how long weaning takes- it's kind of a silly concept to get freaked out by- if that is true- I nursed my babies for 6 months and then weaned them for 18 months...
  • Options
    Weaning is just changing the primary source of nutrition.  You wean from formula as well.  After 6 months, the primary source of nutrition should change (slooowly) from BM/formula to solids.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I suppose it's because it's a process. Like the more "solids" a baby is eating, the less breastmilk she will need. My friend's child is 18 months and eats all solid foods, but still likes the breast about once a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"