Trying to Get Pregnant

S/O poll: Worthless baby items

What do you see from your perspective (baby #3, TTC #1, etc.) as a worthless baby item?

I have never gotten the appeal or use for closet dividers for a baby's room. Then again, I don't get why people would put the extra work of hanging baby clothes anyway. Maybe for a baby girl who has a lot of frilly dresses, but outside of that, I don't get it!

You? 

Re: S/O poll: Worthless baby items

• i always used to think baby wipe warmers...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wipe warmers
  • Loading the player...
  • One of my friends told me that the diaper genie thing is worthless...don't know since I haven't used one.

My MIL's friend said she saw a chair that helps infants "learn to sit up" when she was shopping the other day. This seems sort of worthless to me, since I learned to sit without one and so did every other kid I know... 

• imagebexter:

One of my friends told me that the diaper genie thing is worthless...don't know since I haven't used one.

My MIL's friend said she saw a chair that helps infants "learn to sit up" when she was shopping the other day. This seems sort of worthless to me, since I learned to sit without one and so did every other kid I know... 

The Bumbo. 

Every garage sale has one for $2 for a very good reason...

• Hmmm... since I am TTC #1, I am not sure.. I would love to read what those of you TTC #2 think.

Maybe over-spending on nursery doodads/decor?

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Aww wipe warmers!! But their bums are gonna be startled by the cold!  Ha, actually I haven't ever thought about this.  Good post though!
  • imagePattypoundcake:
    imagebexter:

One of my friends told me that the diaper genie thing is worthless...don't know since I haven't used one.

The Bumbo. 

Every garage sale has one for $2 for a very good reason...

LOL good to know. Def won't get one then. :) 

• imageSarahL77:

Hmmm... since I am TTC #1, I am not sure.. I would love to read what those of you TTC #2 think.

Maybe over-spending on nursery doodads/decor?

Just a perspective opinion, not a practical opinion poll! Even since my kid was born a TON of new "must have" newborn items have come out that I hear myself saying "what the eff?" to.

(I don't see the use for a ton of decor either)

• GinghamGingham member
    I always thought expensive or name-brand baby shoes were pretty worthless.
  • ITA with baby clothes hanging. For me it was diaper warmers. Eh never used them and he never had an issue. Oh and the baby bath tub. He hated the plastic wierd shaped tub, and for a long time we used the kitchen sink. Alot more control and I didn't have to bend over with my healing c/s. (We still use the sink for quick bathsEmbarrassed  )
    Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
    Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• nic5606nic5606 member
    Those cute holders for diapers. The diapers have to be put in a nice stack, they fall out, ahhh.  I am going to just put them in a basket or drawer.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageGingham:

Agreed. Baby genie too. I dont have any LO's but I will be using good ol generic ziplock baggies for dirty diapers!

• This looks pretty silly too.
  • imageGingham:

But adorable! hehe DS has a pair of Nike's we got at the outlet on sale for like 4 bucks.  We got them big so they still fit with him learning to walk. But i love baby shoes!

Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
    Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

• Granted, no kids yet, so who knows if my opinion is valid...

But I think those "tummy time mats" are a waste. What happened to putting a blanket on the floor with some toys?

Ditto on the wipe warmers. They always seemed dangerous to me when they are placed near the crib. What if a baby got ahold of the cord and pulled it?

• imageKdgTeacher:
    This looks pretty silly too.

WOW! That would be a winner in a worthless items contest!! 

• GinghamGingham member
    imageHeather & Nayt:

imageGingham:

But adorable! hehe DS has a pair of Nike's we got at the outlet on sale for like 4 bucks.  We got them big so they still fit with him learning to walk. But i love baby shoes!

They are definitely adorable and 4 bucks isn't bad! I mean, I've seen some for 30 or 40 bucks.  That's a little much.

• imageKdgTeacher:
    This looks pretty silly too.

Wow. 

• Definitely agree with the Bumbo, diaper stacker and baby bathtub. 

The wipes warmer is great if you decide to forgo disposable wipes and use washcloths though. Wink

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • I agree that there are all sorts of worthless baby things, but I think it depends on your kid.  I know lots of people who have used Bumbos as a sort of highchair for their babies, and I've heard of some people who think wipe warmers are great for calming down babies who hate being changed.  Cold wipes make the kid scream, but then they switched to the wipe warmer and it really helped.

I guess I'm saying I think all babies are different, and you're going to end up spending all sorts of money on crap that the baby will never use.  A friend of mine has a swing (normal purchase, right?) and the kid hates it.  They never use it.

That being said, I think those garter-like headband things for little babies with the big flowers on them are ridiculous. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

imageimage
  • tmm140tmm140 member

Although they are super cute, the super expensive baby outfits.  A girl at work only registered for Adidas warm up suits for her son.  Seems like a waste on something that will be spit up on.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• All things already mentioned but I'll say em anyway. The diaper stacker, wipes warmer, and bumbo. I'm still so angry at that stupid bumbo thing - DS face planted right on to the tile floor thanks to that it. He was sitting on the floor so he didn't fall far but that sound - his cry - and seeing him there face down with that effing chair on top of him...

• imageMG7:

All things already mentioned but I'll say em anyway. The diaper stacker, wipes warmer, and bumbo. I'm still so angry at that stupid bumbo thing - DS face planted right on to the tile floor thanks to that it. He was sitting on the floor so he didn't fall far but that sound - his cry - and seeing him there face down with that effing chair on top of him...

wow that is terrible! glad he was ok though!

• I was reading through all the responses, and thinking, "Wow, I know a lot about TTC, but nothing about actually having a kid.  Never heard of any of this crap!"  Then I got to this response:

imagekdodge423:

Bedding sets. 

Ding ding ding!  I totally agree! :)

• Ok I will DEFEND the wipe warmer. I NEVER thought that I'd get one but when LO peed everytime we changed her with cold wipes it became worth the money, vs changing another diaper. 

For us it was a bumbo. I know some ppl LOve them but LO would throw up every time she sat in it bc it didn't give her enough support 

• wipe warmers

owning all of the following...swing/bouncer/rocker-pick 1!! 

formula dispensers- they always leaked!

outfits besides one-pieces for the first couple of months

girl bathing suits for infants-cute, but they can't wear sunscreen, so can't be in the pool and they're really hard to put on wiggly, lumpy babies. 

• Also going to defend baby bath. I didn't want to put my kiddo in the kitchen sink no matter how much we scrubbed it, so it was great for us. We literally did bath time in the middle of the living room (a lot of space not like our bathroom) and it was awesome until she started splashing, then we moved to the big girl tub. 
  • Definitely shoes.  They never stay on. 

When they do need shoes, then I would say Robeeze.  Robeeze are way too expensive for something they are going to grow out of in 3 months.  I opted for the Target fake Robeeze for 12.99.  (Robeeze go for between 24.99 and 29.99 that I've seen)

• Bedding sets. WTF is the point? They may be cute, but the only thing you can use is the fitted sheet!
  • This may sound crazy, but I don't intend to buy/use a changing table. They scare me if baby wiggles. I'm much more comfortable changing on a bed or the floor.
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Im going to defend the Bumbo. I loved it and so did DD which is the most important part. I think she felt like more a part of the action in it. It was great for when she first started cereal and to take on the go with us. I used the tray and we never had any accidents in it.

Bedding sets-I had to have the perfect one, found it on ebay and the comforter has never been and never will be used

Burp cloths. Receiving blankets are bigger, more absorbant and cheaper!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"