Babies on the Brain
Options

Baby and fever question

So my dh's boss had to leave work early today because his 1 month old son had a 102 fever.  DH called me and was asking why because he didn't think it was so high.  But I know that under 6 months anything over 101? you should take them to the doc.

Is this because babies have an under developed immune system and haven't gotten their full vaccinations?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby and fever question

• Options
    We were told 100.4 is a hospital for a newbprn under 2 months old.  After that call for 104 and hospital for 105. 
    photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    If my kids had 102 fevers at 1 month old, I'd be at the doctor in a heartbeat.  Now?  I'd try Motrin first, but I wouldn't have screwed around with it that young. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would have taken DS to the doctor with a fever that high at that age.  We were told to call for anything over 100 until 2 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The pedi told us that they don't really have an immune system at that age, so a simple cold could turn really really bad for them.

Photobucket  Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    mmkayemmkaye member
    I totally agree and would have taken my kid as well.  I just don't know why it is different for young babies than for say a toddler.  (And I am feeling super lazy and don't feel like googling it.)
  • Options
    mmkayemmkaye member

imagemelodylb:
    The pedi told us that they don't really have an immune system at that age, so a simple cold could turn really really bad for them.

That makes sense.  I kinda figured it was something to do with the lack of a strong immune system.

• Options

With a 1 month old, I'd be in the ER with a fever at that temp.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    mmkayemmkaye member
    imageMrs.C042807:

With a 1 month old, I'd be in the ER with a fever at that temp.

Yeah that is where they took the baby at the super good hospital around here.  DH just didn't know what made it so different for a young baby as opposed to an older one.  But my uneducated guess was actually right!  I feel super smart now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"