Special Needs
Options

delayed echolalia in a 2 year old?

I never heard of this before today but my 2 yr old DD does a lot of this. She recites whole passages from videos she has seen, she mixes pronouns, etc.  I assumed this was something that was "normal" and never thought much of it until this afternoon.

From what I've read, by age 4 these behaviors should be evaluated but at age 2 they are okay?  Does anyone know if this is true?  Am I just being a neurotic first time parent? Or is there something I should be on the lookout for or should be doing to help her?

WDYT?

Re: delayed echolalia in a 2 year old?

• Options
    hopankahopanka member

My son was certainly doing this at 2 and now he has a dx. Not trying to scare you, but without knowing more or seeing your child - it's hard to offer anything else, besides what I've experienced in my case.

My pedi never listened to any of my concerns regarding this, so I would recommend getting an eval from a professional SLP, if you are really concerned. That's how we started and shortly after that eval, we had another one by a developmental pedi and Child Psychologist...and that started to point us in the right direction.

GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"