Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

People comparing toddlers to animals

I always love it (insert sarcasm here) when I'm running around after my non-stop, constant motion in the ocean toddler (to which I'm sure all of you can relate), and someone says they know exactly what its like following around a busy toddler 24-7 because they have a dog or a cat that gets into everything. This comment is usually made by a younger friend or family member that does not have kids yet. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: People comparing toddlers to animals

• I had a similar comment from my BIL this weekend.  He commented that his "child" was the best behaved one this weekend.  His "child" is a dog.  I tried to explain to him that a child and a dog are nowhere near the same thing. 
  • I overheard my SIL's bf tell her that something would work to teach their toddler a lesson, b/c it worked with his dog and "don't you think our son is smarter than my dog??" lol. Yes, b/c raising a toddler is the exact. same. thing. as training a dog.
  • Loading the player...
  • Just let it slide. It's really humorous, but it's hard to know what raising a child is like until you actually do it.
  • Um, there are times when I say the same thing to my dog as I say to my child- "out of the garbage" "drop it" "what are you eating?"   

Not 100% the same, but sometimes it feels like I have 2 kids instead of 1. 

• A random tangent, but we were at the zoo this morning and during one of the bird shows, they said the intelligence level of an African gray parrot is comparable to a chimp, a dolphin -- or a human toddler. 

Sorry, that's what came to mind when I saw your post title. ;)  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Shell24Shell24 member

Eh. It doesn't bother me that much.  It's not like they're trying to one up the issue you have or story you're telling. They're just trying to commiserate and that's what they have to use. 

And sometimes my dogs are worse than my kids so there you go LOL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMelissa17:

Um, there are times when I say the same thing to my dog as I say to my child- "out of the garbage" "drop it" "what are you eating?"   

Yep, except the toddler grows up to be an adult and evolves...the dog doesn't.  LOL.  

I'd gladly trade my 2 dogs in for another toddler.  Not because a toddler is easier, they aren't but it's so much more rewarding. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageChubbyCheekiesMom:
    imageMelissa17:

Um, there are times when I say the same thing to my dog as I say to my child- "out of the garbage" "drop it" "what are you eating?"   

Yep, except the toddler grows up to be an adult and evolves...the dog doesn't.  LOL.  

I'd gladly trade my 2 dogs in for another toddler.  Not because a toddler is easier, they aren't but it's so much more rewarding. 

I know toddlers will grow and evolve Big Smile 

But something that sticks in my mind is a comment my Vet friends have said- pretty much a dog is a perpetual 2 year old.   Thats why I think I have 2 kids sometimes :)  I know it another 6 months that will change.  Maya will outgrow the dog ;)

• Apparently you have never met my dog. He is like a toddler. Our house was already baby proofed because of our dog. I find myself saying the same redirect to my DS as my dog. Although my dog doesn't get whiney and cranky like DS so that is a plus. :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Actually, my son is a lot like my neighbors dog.  He is a puppy and HUGE, they have a manny for him, so they are not tired.  The manny is hot, not tired and old like me.  That dog has some crazy energy, but he responds well to the leash and my DS does not.  He also doesn't have to grow up to support himself and be a productive member of society, and DS does. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"