1st Trimester

Silly to let comments about "showing" bother you?

I am 9 wks and change pregnant, 5'4" and 120 pounds....I teach yoga and always in shape and am feeling very bloated lately. I do think it's partly rounding and maybe showing a little bit and also bloating. However, some people (certain family) saw me the other day and made a HUGE deal about how I "popped", was "really showing" and looking "really pregnant." Don't get me wrong; I am psyched as heck to get a baby belly but of course I want it to happen progressively; I'm not sure I know anyone who at 9 weeks wants to hear how pregnant she looks. It makes me really self-conscious. Am I being silly? I also m/carried earlier in the year, so my mom thinks people are just trying to make me feel really good and let me know they're excited. At first I replied, "really? I am?" but now, since it happens whenever they see me, I just go along with it and yes them to death. Being too sensitive? And ps, my mom is like, yes, have a tiny little start of a belly, but showing? Popping? Really pregnant? No! I mean, tell me this in about 10 more weeks, not yet!

Re: Silly to let comments about "showing" bother you?

• imagepiecesofflare:

You're pregnant and you're going to get a belly.  I was showing by 9 weeks.  It happens.  Deal with it.

Yes, you're being silly.

Yes

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You might be reacting a little silly. Whether or not they are just saying it because you had a m/c, either way it's not a big deal. If you don't agree with them, politely let them know. Some women do "show" at 9 wks, but it's definitely not at the popping stage lol. Just relax, there are going to be plenty more comments just like that coming your way, take them in stride.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJayKay2387:
    Just relax, there are going to be plenty more comments just like that coming your way, take them in stride.

This exactly. You have at least 7 more months of this so you may as well get used to it. Just wait until you're almost due and see how many people say you're ready to "pop" then!

• It probably would bother me if people started commenting about my bloat. If it was baby bump, I think I'd be more ok with it. I have zero issues with my body changing as it works hard to grow our baby, but I also think that pregnancy is not a license for people to comment on my body unsolicited. If it bothers you, then I would let your family know. You probably will still have to deal with it some now, and most certainly as time goes on. But, there is nothing wrong with letting people know if their comments hurt your feelings or cross a line.

• Yeah, I showed really early with my son and got a lot of these comments. I'm not going to lie-the comments bothered me, and they did pretty much throughout my pregnancy. Watch until you get futher along and people ask you if it's twins-that's always fun. Indifferent

It comes with the territory though. Whether you show early or late, or tiny or big, everyone will have a comment that will make you feel insecure. You learn to live with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepiecesofflare:

You're pregnant and you're going to get a belly.  I was showing by 9 weeks.  It happens.  Deal with it.

Yes, you're being silly.

This. Only with DS I was so bloated at 7 weeks I had to tell my boss.

• Ok....guess I should take it in stride. Please don't misunderstand; I know my body is working hard to grow our baby and that alone gives me chills....but some of the comments about looking really pregnant or popping are just really overestimated and I won't lie, especially if we can be candid here: they make me self conscious. I am never one to make a fuss and I do tend to hide how I feel so as not to come across as being too sensitive with certain people, so I tend to ignore it when it happens. I think "deal with it" is it bit harsh, but yeah, I'm sensitive! ;)
  • imagepiecesofflare:

You think 'deal with it' is harsh?

Good God, how do you survive?

Just fine, thanks. ;)

• mchupiemchupie member

I'm 8 weeks today, and while I was waiting for my flight a woman offered me her seat and said "congratulations!"

I was shocked, but hey, it kinda comes with the territory of being pregnant.  I didn't let it bother me.

image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • SBear12SBear12 member

I guess I'm a little unclear about which part is bothering you most. Is it because you don't like the idea of getting bigger? Because I wouldn't get so caught up in worrying about what week you are, and whether it's bloat or baby or cheeseburger baby. :) The bottomline is, your body is inevitably going to change, and every woman's body is different, therefore on a different timeline. I totally understand not liking to be the center of attention when it comes to those kinds of comments, but you really have to get used to it, because they'll be happening nonstop for the next two trimesters after this!

But if you're more bothered because people are trying to cheer you up by mentioning the pregnancy, just because they feel bad for you about the previous m/c, then I understand why that might be a little annoying. But probably just something you'll have to deal with, unfortunately, since it sounds like your pregnancy news is out in the open. I guess that's one of the negatives to breaking the news to people early... but I'm sure there are positives as well, so maybe try and focus on those?

Good luck to you!

• no, you are not being silly, these are your feelings...other people just don't always get that. it will help to try to think of where the people making the comments are coming from, i.e., when you said that you miscarried before and maybe thay are trying to encourage you...that is a good way to think of it. good luck!
  • I hear ya! We told sone friends this weekendand one said she suspected it because I looked "puffier" and she knows I usually hit the gym a lot. I try to take it instrude but it's hard not to think "aw crap, people already think I'm puffy and I thought I looked the same!" :-p
  • imagepiecesofflare:
    imageomgjulybaby:
    imagepiecesofflare:

You think 'deal with it' is harsh?

Good God, how do you survive?

Just fine, thanks. ;)

Are you sure?  Because you're getting upset about a growing belly when you're pregnant and people telling you to deal with it.

These do not sound like good coping skills.

Just be grateful that you were able to get pregnant and stfu about the things that come with pregnancy.  'I can't stop puking' is a valid pregnancy complaint.  'My belly is growing and people are noticing it' makes you sound like a crybaby who doesn't understand what's happening to your body.

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, you've missed my point, and you don't know me. I'm not saying my body is growing and I'm a crybaby. I'm just saying that I, in real life, would never tell a newly pregnant woman how big she looks. That is all. I don't wish for my excitement over being pregnant to be judged; I am thrilled to get the belly. I'm just saying, comments at 9 weeks when I'm still really tiny about how huge I am make me self conscious.

• imageIncogNeato:
    I hear ya! We told sone friends this weekendand one said she suspected it because I looked "puffier" and she knows I usually hit the gym a lot. I try to take it instrude but it's hard not to think "aw crap, people already think I'm puffy and I thought I looked the same!" :-p

thank you! exactly exactly exactly my point! ;)

• The only reason it would bother me is because women don't really show at 9 weeks.  In almost all women it's 90% bloat and/or weight gain at 9 weeks.  This is according to almost every doctor/book/website I've come across.

Don't be afraid of your stomach being too big or too small, too high or too low, too soft or too hard, just let it do its thing in its own time.  And ignore what people say because *everyone* has some stupid opinion about your pregnancy and for some reason pregnancy invites them to say it to your face.  Practice turning the other cheek.

• You are TOTALLY not being silly. This is a very sensitive time, hormones and all, and it is normal that you feel a bit bothered by people telling you that you've 'popped' at 9 weeks. Because really, when you're 120lbs at the beginning of a first pregnancy, your 'round' 9w belly is about 90% bloat.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with some of the responses on here, because it's obvious that you are thrilled about being pregnant and that your post has NOTHING to do with you not being happy or complaining about expecting a baby.

PS(give it another week or 2 and the bloat will be gone)

Hang in there =)

• imagepiecesofflare:

I didn't miss the point.  This is normal.  This is not something to be upset about.

You asked if you were being silly, and yes - you're being silly.

Since when is "deal with it" a kind thing to say?  NO, having emotions is not silly.  She's allowed to feel anything you want.  At least she's not being a BSC *** about it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"