Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

If you actually ENJOY going outside with DC..

please give me tips!

Seems like all DS does is run from the backyard (safe area) to the front lawn (where the street is).  I'd love to put a fence up but it's not really an option. 

How do you make outside enjoyable?  I have DC#2 on the way and I can't see how I'm going to ever get outside with a newborn & toddler.

Re: If you actually ENJOY going outside with DC..

• Options

I let him play with the hose, he waters the trees and garden and himself.  I am concerned though about once baby#2 is here because my yard sounds like yours and my DS also likes to just take off on a whim.

I also bring snacks or lunch outside with us.  We have pool parties :)

• Options

A fence is really key to not being constantly stressed out, I think. Obviously I'm always on my toes, but I never have to worry about her physically escaping the perimeter. 

The rare times we are in the front yard, sidewalk chalk is a must!

Rainbow baby due in September!
    .image
    May Siggy Challenge - Favorite Onscreen Mom
    image  image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

She stays in the yard if she can play with the hose and a huge bin of water and toys. Chalk works for a little bit but not as long as the hose and bin. We were outside for three hours on Saturday, and she was completely enthralled with the hose. 

I also take her to the park a lot, and most of those are enclosed with a fence and gate. 

• Options
    My DS is extremely active so outside is the most the times I do enjoy. :) We go to a lot of parks (every day usually). The play equipment keeps him entertained. If we are in the backyard we let him splash at the water table or just run around and explore (we have a fence, though). 
    Declan 8.25.08
    Lincoln 3.18.11
    Brooks 7.7.12

• Options
    Jen748Jen748 member
    Water table, sprinkler, baby pool, hose, slide, big ball.
  • Options
    adri77adri77 member
    When I was pg with #2, we would take long walks throughout the neighborhood, me pushing an empty stroller in case there was a refusal to budge/go where I wanted us to go.  He also pushed his push truck a lot.  We took walks to the park.  We played in the sandbox/water table.  When DS2 came, I did everything I always did, but with the baby in the sling, or sometimes we'd stay by the house and I'd put the baby in the swing/bouncer at the door so I could see him.  You will make it work!  It will be to your advantage to make it work b/c the more time outside=better sleep/naps for your older one, which you will need!  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD loves to play with water.  So I let her "help" me water plants when I'm outside.  She has so much fun playing with her watering can and just loves it.  Also we have sidewalk chalk which really helps her stay entertained and we got a little Fisher Price castle that she can climb up and slide down.  We spent a lot of time outside in the summer and we wanted to make sure DD would have enough to do. 
  • Options

imageJen748:
    Water table, sprinkler, baby pool, hose, slide, big ball.

yes. and bubbles

aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• Options
    OMG, this is us.  I feel soooooo guilty every day because he wants to go out and I can't chase him in this heat with the belly.  I wish every day that we had a fence.
  • Options
    we have a fence, but he will keep occupied with the hose, me blowing bubbles, his swing, or anything he can push (he pushes our jogging stroller and his wagon b/c they still roll on the grass well).  he is content in the wagon for a long ride or i take him in the bike trailer to the park.  he also likes to bring me things so if i put out easter eggs or something he will collect them one by one to hand them to me.
  • Options

Water in milk gallon jugs now that its hot outside!

or

water hose.

• Options
    imagekelbrian:

I also take her to the park a lot, and most of those are enclosed with a fence and gate. 

Ugh. I so wish we could fine one of these. We've been to a few different parks/playground close to us, and none of them are ever fenced in. Even the playground equipment doesn't keep him entertained that long, then he is off and running.

OP: I honestly think every kid is different. Absolutely nothing that pp's mentioned would keep my DS entertained for a long length of time if he was not in a fenced in area and had no choice but to play with it. Luckily, at home we have a fenced in area, but he still gets bored with the water table, bubbles, chalk, tricylce, basketball, slide, balls, etc and tries to figure out how to open the gate, goes up and down the cement steps, etc. The last two times we have taken him to a playground, he took off running more than playing on the equipment.

Last year with a newborn and DS, we honestly didn't go outside much unless it was for walks. I had a hard time adjusting anyway, and I just didn't want my newborn out in the heat and humidity. I would take DS out on our patio sometimes and bring along the monitor while my newborn was sleeping inside, but I didn't attempt the playground, park, etc without DH around. DS is/was just way too active and fast. So my recommendation is walks, lots of walks :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Options
    We're outside almost every good day...DS goes stir crazy if he's inside the whole day.  DS has a pot of dirt and toy shovels and rakes that he uses in the yard, water table, playhouse, bubbles, chalk, bouncy balls.  I show him the garden and let him "help" water the plants (I take the nozzle off the hose and he "waters" them).  He like to move rocks from one bucket to another and back again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hose, Cozy Coupe, chalk, sand box.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"