Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Any college teachers here?

I am interviewing for a part-time position as a communications instructor at the local college here.  The interview consists of a panel-style interview portion as well as a teaching demo.  I'd appreciate any advice you might have!  I don't yet have professional teaching experience but I have a degree and have worked as a writer and editor for ten years.  I plan to set up a powerpoint presentation as part of my demo but want to stand out as unique and engaging.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Any college teachers here?

• I am an adjunct prof and I think you're on the right track. Showcasing what you know about technology and how you would use it in a lesson is great! Good luck!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.gabsmommy.blogspot.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If the school is anything like mine, I would include some sort of idea to make your ppt lesson "interactive".  Maybe print out a coordinating handout for them to fill in as if they were students in your class - or at least describe how you will make an "active learning environment". 

I teach Biology at my local college and "active learning" and "diversified methods of assessment" are the two key things going on right now.   

GL on your interview! 

• Loading the player...
  • MAtoNCMAtoNC member

I agree 100% with tmrsrm.

The days of straight lectures are over. Especially if you are teaching in a classroom environment with relatively small groups (as opposed to 300-people lecture halls, etc).

Many universities have teaching resources on their public websites. You can google the following terms: "Center for teaching excellence" or "Center for learning excellence" or "Center for educational excellence" (different universities call it different things). These webpages can give you some nice ideas.

Good Luck!

Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • Thanks everyone! These are all great ideas.
  • Congrats on getting an interview! The job market is pretty tight around here for adjuncts and professors. You should pat yourself on the back, for sure!

At the end of the interview when they ask you, "What questions do you have for us?" What are you going to ask? It's always a good idea to have a few questions in your pocket and you don't want to be stuck there saying, "Hmmm, none at the moment."

Remember, the interview is their audition as much as it is yours. Make sure these are people you want to work with--and classes you want to teach.

As for the teaching demo, check out the website and faculty pages. Some of them may have links to a syllabus or classroom website that would give you an indication of what kind of teaching they do, preference, and expect during your demo.  

IMG_8724 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_8895 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well ladies, your advice must have worked because I got the job!
  • How wonderful!!! Congratulations, Mama!
    IMG_8724 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_8895 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"