Parenting
Options

"dry" counties are the dumbest thing ever

I should have put more thought into where I was moving...20 minutes from the closest liquor store. WTF? Is this the 20's?

Re: "dry" counties are the dumbest thing ever

• Options
    we dont have a dry county but we have a dry town...a few towns over.  Its the dumbest thing because this dry town has some of the worst drunks lol
    Josh-10/1/87, Brittany 3/9/91, Mandi 7/26/92, Michelle 9/11/06 image I'M GRAPE JELLY- ALWAYS AROUND & ALWAYS THE SAME If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me. For I must be traveling on now. Because there are too many places I've got to see. -Allen Collins & Ronnie VanZant My favorite verse!
  • Options
    Ugh. I can't imagine living in a dry county. It's such a pointless thing and I have to believe (perhaps erroneously, but whatever) that if they're that closed-minded about such a non-issue as alcohol, they must be ridiculously closed-minded about things that actually matter, too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were faced with this every time I came to Dallas, which sucked because I used to just go to Dallas to party with my friends, post-college.  I don't really understand it either, but Dallas folks seem to think it makes them somehow more civilized.  
  • Options
    The funniest part is that restaurants can serve alcohol. No bars, but they can serve alcohol down at applebees. I'm thinking it actually promotes drunk driving.
  • Options
    P, it just means whatever the county votes it to mean. As I said, in my county, they can serve it at restaurants, though there are no bars, and there is no beer/wine/hard liquor sold at any stores at all. In other counties, there is no alcohol for sale anywhere, at all. I'm pretty sure it's a county to county issue here, but it might just be towns. It's funny, though, because there are liquor stores on the county line, all across the county (on the other side, of course). You'd think we'd want it for the tax revenue.
  • Options
    I agree!  What is the point? So you drive to the next county where you can get it.  We can't buy alcohol on Sundays which I think is dumb as well. 
    Madelyn 3/1/07 image, Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    We lived in a dry town-thankfully it wasn't too far from the neighboring town so there was a package store nearby. They had a limited anount of liquor licenses for restaurants but no bars or liquor stores. Damn puritans-no fun!
    Nathan 7-13-06 ~ Elizabeth 4-12-09 ~ Zachary 8-5-11
  • Options
    Almost as stupid: blue laws.  Can't buy alcohol in liquor stores anywhere in my state on Sundays.  I guess we're all supposed to be in church, repenting for our beverages the rest of the week.  Confused
  • Options

imageToledoDeux:
    Almost as stupid: blue laws.  Can't buy alcohol in liquor stores anywhere in my state on Sundays.  I guess we're all supposed to be in church, repenting for our beverages the rest of the week.  Confused

LOL. That's exactly right. 

• Options
    Each state must be different.  You can buy alcohol on Sundays in MI after noon.  The state sets the rules here, not individual towns or counties.  I know I visited a friend who's bars closed at 2 but in the next town over (which happened to be in another state...10 minutes away) they were open until 3!  So...all the people from the bar in her city driving (probably drunk) to the next town over!  Crazy.
  • Options

imageToledoDeux:

Ahh, but now I'm *thismuch* closer to WI, which allows alcohol sales on Sunday! So if we're in a real bind and NEED booze RIGHT THIS MINUTE, I can hook us up!

• Options

We just got back from vacation in AR.  The county my friends live in is dry.  What a pain!

There are no alcohol sales on Sundays in Kansas, unless a city has voted otherwise.  I don't think there are very many that have changed it. 

• Options
    The no liquor on Sundays is actually more ridiculous, I think. I mean, at least you CAN buy liquor other days of the week, but the law itself is sillier.
  • Options
    imageemiliemadison:

imageToledoDeux:

Ahh, but now I'm *thismuch* closer to WI, which allows alcohol sales on Sunday! So if we're in a real bind and NEED booze RIGHT THIS MINUTE, I can hook us up!

Made that drive just last weekend. G*d forbid you have an impromptu GTG on a Sunday in this state. Although sipping ice tea and reading the bible was a close second among the group ;-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well, Jesus did turn water into iced tea, you know. It's a common misconception that he turned water into wine.
  • Options

I'm from Wisconsin. We take our liquor pretty seriously here. I can't imagine the uproar if they tried to restrict the sales of it anymore than it is. People already get pissed that they stop selling at 9 pm.

When I lived in Indiana for college, it was a major culture shock when it came to alcohol. Then again, I did attend the campus that came up with Breakfast Club, so it wasn't ALL bad :-)

Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Options

In the last town we lived in, we were next door to a dry Indian reservation. Hello drunk driving, boozing up in my town and then driving back to the rez.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I grew up in a dry town in PA but there it meant that the businesses could not sell/serve liquor (no liquor license) but there were beer distributors and state stores (liquor stores).  In PA they are sold in two different places and just recently some of the state stores started to be open on Sundays.

Down here in NC I can just pick up a bottle of wine right at Target!  It's quite a difference!

J1 1.19.07
    J2 11.17.08
  • Options

I grew up in a dry county. It means different things,but we did not have liquor stores, & it was not sold in the grocery stores, but could be bought at bars, restaurants. I live in KS and most of the eastern part of the state has Sunday liquor sales for quite a few years (just don't buy beer in the grocery store, it is like near beer).

• Options
    imagePMQ:

imageAggieCouple:
    We were faced with this every time I came to Dallas, which sucked because I used to just go to Dallas to party with my friends, post-college.  I don't really understand it either, but Dallas folks seem to think it makes them somehow more civilized.  

Dallas is "dry"?! WTF? Maybe I don't have an understanding of what that means...it means no alcohol for sale at all, right? No bars, no beer/wine etc.available for purchase anywhere?

As you can tell I don't think we have such a thing in Canada...

Dallas is "zoned" in that businesses can only be in certain parts of the city and surrounding counties. In Houston, apart from neighborhoods with strict HOA rules, you can set up shop anywhere. Dallas is zoned wrt alcohol and strip bars too. You could get alcohol but you had to drive into another part of town to get it, usually a non-residential area.
  • Options
    imagePMQ:

imageAggieCouple:

Dallas is "dry"?! WTF? Maybe I don't have an understanding of what that means...it means no alcohol for sale at all, right? No bars, no beer/wine etc.available for purchase anywhere?

As you can tell I don't think we have such a thing in Canada...

Ahhh, but you are wrong my fellow Canadian, there is a dry town close to where I live.  They just voted to overturn the law, but it failed.  Barely however, the vote was 51% to keep the law 49% to abolish it.

I have to say the wildest kids I knew growing up came from that town!

Rebecca- mom to 3 kids: DS born 2005, DD born 2007 and DS born 2010.
  • Options
    the county where they make Jack Daniels in Tennessee is dry.  Huh?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"