January 2011 Moms

Sharing the News

I haven't been very active on these boards...just mostly reading and watching and taking it all in, but we are about 8 1/2 weeks along now and have told close family and friends. We are thinking about "going public" today, as long as everything goes well at our doctor's appointment this afternoon. We are both young (early/mid 20's), have already heard a strong heartbeat and don't have a history of miscarriage, so we are cautious, but don't feel that our chances of miscarrying are astronomical at this point. Has anyone else "gone public" and shared with everyone?

Re: Sharing the News

• me and my hubby were going to wait until our first u/s at 8 wks but just couldnt... after keeping it a secret for about a week and a half we went public.  this is our first baby, i'll be 21 next month and he's 21.  i havent had any m/c and just couldnt hold it in any longer.  everyone was SUPER excited! good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With DS #1 we went public at 6 weeks. I was 22 and DH was 24. I wasn't worried about miscarriage either.

Now I'm almost 8 weeks and we haven't told anyone yet. Still in our mid 20's but being cautious. I feel no rush this time. We have a second u/s on the 3rd so we will discuss telling people then.

Congrats!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • You can do what we did with our first and now this one, we've told all of our immediate family and closest friends.  That way in case something happens, we have the support of those that love us.  And it's more personal then some mass email.

I will do a FB announcement sometime in early 2nd tri.

You should definitely share your excitement - it's a wonderful time!

• We told our immediate family the day after we found out. We have not told everyone until after the 1st U/S if not 1st trimester.
    Hope (32), James (36), Sophee (1 year old), McKenzee (7 weeks) CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • I am really bad at keeping secrets. I told my family today. DH's we will tell in July because that is when we will see them next. I understand being worried, I wish you the best of luck.
  • First time-I didn't tell anyone (even parents) until 12 weeks. This time, we will tell at 10 weeks on father's day, assuming we had a sucessful first appointment by then.

At my 8 week appoinment the 1st time, the dr said that since we saw the HB the chances of miscarriage go down dramatically and it was a "safer" time to tell people. We still waited, but I don't see anything wrong with telling at 8 weeks.  (not that there's anything wrong regardless, just that your chances of m/c are fairly high in 1st tri before you've heard a HB).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We decided to tell my family early because my mom was diagnosed with cancer and we wanted to give them some good news. When we told them, we had to tell DH's family, and slowly we've told some of our closest friends.

Today we're going to a party where some people know and some don't so I'm not sure if we're going to just tell everyone, or continue to keep it relatively private. It will be up to DH, I would just tell everyone at this point. To me, once it's out to anyone, it might as well be out all the way, and it will be very hard to keep quiet today, as everyone will be drinking and this group always gives DH a hard time about when we are going to have kids. It literally comes up every single time we see them, so I'd like to get them off his back but, it's up to him.

• erbearerbear member
    I told people pretty early (6ish weeks) with Kate. I think we will wait until we see the doc (7 weeks) with this one, then tell family and close friends.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • We told our immediate family and best friends (his best guy friend and my best girl friend) the weekend after we found out.

We plan to tell a few close friends after the first u/s at 7w4d. We won't announce it publicly until about 12 weeks or so.

• a very few select friends know.. and that was kinda a mistake.  parents dont even know yet, so no, we aren't telling yet! 
  • We told our immediate family and closest friends right away. I announced this weekend on FB to distant relatives and friends. It's a time to celebrate! 
  • We're going to tell in 2 days, after my first prenatal appt.

I think my H may explode if I make him wait longer than that, but I just want somebody other than me to say 'yep, you're totally not making it up' before we do. heh.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"