Stay at Home Moms

Carseat help RP:

I am kind of confused about what to get, so am hoping for some guidance.  I want to buy a convertible car seat, but noticed the weight limit varies from 40-85lbs.  How long are you supposed to keep kids in a convertible seat?  When can you switch to a booster seat?  Is it worth the extra money to buy a convertible with a higher weight limit?  Which brands do you recommend?  TIA!
Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Carseat help RP:

• You switch to a booster at 4 years old AND 40lbs. I can tell you that my 4.5 year old is not anywhere near 40lbs so she's still in a convertible. My ped told me to keep her in there as long as I can and worry more about the weight than the height of the carseat.

I don't think you need an 85lb limit carseat, but most of them go up to 65lbs. That's good enough.

GL!

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend going with a 5-pt harness booster when you get to that point, and not just a seatbelt booster.

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • We are getting the Nautilus 3-1.  It comes highly recommend from several people as well as Baby Bargains.  GL
    ::TTC #2 since April 2010:: Diagnosed: PCOS ~ March 2011, Diagnosed: Mild CAH ~ May 2011, Myomectomy ~ June 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi there!

There's some new research and recommendations out there suggesting kids *should* use a 5-point harness until they reach 80lbs and there are only a few convertible car seats out there that can accommodate kids of all shapes & sizes up to that weight limit.

But, of course, switching to a booster seat that uses just your vehicle's seat belt is all based on your comfort level and whether the seat belt fits your child properly when in a booster seat.  :)

Emily is almost 4 years old and 32lbs and still fits very comfortably in her Britax Marathon that goes up to 65lbs.

Because she is so petite, we are purchasing the Britax Frontier next: a 5-point harness convertible car seat that goes up to 100lbs.  It's much roomier and we hope to keep her in it until at least 80lbs!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• we got the Alpha Omega Elite that fits 5-100 lbs and we LOVE it.  it saves a crap ton of money and hassle to only buy one carseat for the life of your baby/toddler.  i highly recemmend it, and when we went to have the installation inspected, the lady said that we chose a very good carseat. 

here's a link to one similar we bought at BRU.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3697398

Mommy to Presley 5/27/09,
    p7 copy
    It's a GIRL!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"