Attachment Parenting

He loves the exersaucer (PIP)

My grandmother bought us this thing for my shower.  Not on the registry, and I wanted to return it but I couldn't figure out where it came from.  Plus, great-grandma wanted to see it when she came to visit, so DH put it together.

I generally disagree with them.  I know they can cause delays in walking, hip problems, and that they don't encourage attachment principles....but we put DS in it this morning just to see how he reacted....and.....see my signature.  He laughed, giggled, and generally had a ball until I took him out of it 15 minutes later. 

I swear, he's so anti-AP some days it kills me.  Sigh.  So we'll have limited exersaucer time, I guess.

Re: He loves the exersaucer (PIP)

• Cute! There's nothing wrong with a little exersaucer action, and I don't think you need to worry about development unless you're parking him in it for hours a day. If he likes it, use it and don't feel guilty about that :)
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• MamiJamMamiJam member
    There's nothing wrong or anti-AP about using an exersaucer unless you're using it to park your child, leaving him unattended while you go off about your business.  Also, the walkers were found to cause delays in walking not exersaucers.  DS loved his exersaucer and his doorway jumper too!  It's perfectly fine in moderation :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • jshfjshf member
    DS loves the exersaucer and I use it daily for when I shower.  He started crawling 10 days ago and is now trying to stand and on occasion will coast.  We only use it about 15-20 min and there is definitely no delay! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • There is absolutely nothing wrong at all with an exersaucer or anything similar. The problems develop with children who are left in them literally all day long. Time spent in them here and there is not a big deal at all.
  • DS loved his exersaucer. I was so sad when he grew out of it because it meant I couldn't shower when he was awake! I personally think it was good for him- he really improved his fine motor skills with the different toys on there, and I would engage him most of the time he was in there, so it wasn't anti-AP at all. 

Oh, and he walked at 10.5 months, so no delay there! 

DS May 12, 2009 DD September 7, 2011
  • We had the same one and our daughter loved it!  As pp mentioned...it's very useful when you need a shower.
  • LLB430LLB430 member
    DD still goes in the exersaucer when I shower!  Nothing wrong with using it while you do the dishes or vacuum eitherSmile
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • imageMamiJam:
    Also, the walkers were found to cause delays in walking not exersaucers.  DS loved his exersaucer and his doorway jumper too!  It's perfectly fine in moderation :)

This exactly.  DS loved his exersaucer as well and I loved the fact that I had my hands free for a few minutes to fold a load of laundry while I talked to him.  There's nothing anti-AP about that at all!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We got the same one as a hand-me-down and DS is obsessed....when I take him out of it, he totally yells at me.  :D
    Actually, b/c he's really interested in the toys, he's been working so hard at manipulating them and I feel like it's been great for his hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills....I can't imagine it would delay walking if you're just doing it 15-20 min / day...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Tonya_GTonya_G member
    Lily loves her exersaucer- she usually plays in it while I get dinner together. :) I agree with pp- exersaucers are not the devil, so long as they're used in moderation. The developmental issues are usually from parents who put their kids in one all day long as a "babysitter", and no one should be doing that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"