High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

My Intro...

Hi everyone!  I'm Ashley.  I am on the September Mom's board and I just noticed that they have this one.  It's such a relief.  I have a whole list of medical problems and that's why i'm HR.  My LO is doing just fine so far I wish I could say the same.  In short here are some of my problems:
-Chiari Malformation Type I - surgery in 2006
-Syringohydromyelia
-Degenerative Disc Disease
-Buldging and Herniated Discs
-Schuermanns Disease
-Tethered Cord Syndrom - surgery in 2008
-Lumbar Shunt - 3 surgeries in 2009

Because of all of this fun stuff I am not going to be able to have a normal delievery which I was prepared for.  I was not hip on having a c-section but I knew that was my only choice.  However, I just found out that I am going to be put completly out for the c-section and no one will be in the room with me to see my son when he is first born and I wont have any pictures of him because of this.  I am totally devistated knowing that I will miss the first hours of my sons life being sedated.  I am going to go to sleep with this precious baby in my stomach and wake up without one in recovery! 
        If anyone has gone through this then please get ahold of me and let me know how you delt with it.  I am really stressing about this and really upset.  It would mean the world to me if I knew someone who has had something like this.  So please reply to this or email me at:  ashemontgomery@yahoo.com with the subject being THE BUMP.  Or if any of you ladies have any of these problems I would love to hear how you are doing and how it's effecting you if it is at all. 

Re: My Intro...

• Options
    Welcome to the board! I won't be in the same situation as you, at least not planned, but there nay be other ladies around that are. I just wanted to warn you that you may want to make a new screenname without your full name and create a new email for nest/bump posting. It may seem like a select group of ladies on these boards but it's really not. There have been more than a couple stalking cases on the boards.
  • Options

Having a c-section under general anesthesia is very scary.  Ask the nurses if they can take pictures for you.  We are always willing to do that if there are extra people around (and you can typically find someone).  Plus they should let your husband see the baby as soon as he/she is stabilized and well before you are out of surgery.  So he should be able to be there with baby and take pictures too.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

First off, welcome and I'm sorry that you're going through this.

I would check with your l&d unit that you'll have your baby at. I work at a hospital and ours will not take a digital camera in due to liability issues, but usually if you bring a disposable camera, write your name/phone number on it, the nurses will use it to document for you. Assuming that there isn't a medical emergency during the birth, of course. 

Things were a bit touch and go the day my girls were born after 9 weeks of bedrest. There was a possibility I would have had to gone under a general for delivery, so we did talk about something similar to your situation. Their policy if I had gone under a general would have been to have DH able to see the baby as soon as it left the operating room. So if there is no NICU stay, seeing the baby in either a recovery room or the nursery. Our choice had I been put under, would have been for DH to follow the babies if they were stable, and I would catch up as I came out of recovery. 

As it happened, I was able to have a spinal, and the babies did have to go to the NICU. DH followed them while I was being stitched up and went into recovery. He was able to document their first 2.5 hours of life that I missed out on, and it made me feel so much better knowing one of us was there with them, even though they were being worked on and he couldn't hold them. 

TTC#1 since Mar 2008. Serious MFI due to cancer. 3 cancelled IUI's, just about every test in the book. IVF#1 - BFP! Twin girls arrived 2/5/10 at 35w2d. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have pretty serious scoliosis and I'm having a consult at 32 weeks to determine if a spinal or epidural is even an option for me. I want to go natural, but we're doing the consult just in case something happens where I have to have a C-section. I know my problem isn't as serious as yours, but there is a possibility that I will also have to be put under. I didn't know that if this were the case that MH couldn't be in the room. I'll have to ask about our hospitals policy.

The posibility of this scares me, but I know that it will only be done if it is absolutely necessary.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks ladies that really means alot to me. 
  • Options
    AbJamsAbJams member
    I did go through this, but I don't remember because I was the baby, not the mom :) My mom was unconscious when I was born, and I have no ill effects from my difficult birth. Is it ideal to be knocked out? No. But will it hurt your relationship with your LO? Not my case. I'm very close with my mom, and she even breasfed. Good luck!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers www.foreverfactor.blogspot.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"