Texas Babies

Didn't get the job :(

While I'm okay I think about it I am still a little bummed. It would have meant a great opportunity for my family but there are still a ton of positions I am applying for actually within my field. Plus one or two that aren't but are good jobs. Just have to keep plugging away. I really need to get a good job.

Re: Didn't get the job :(

• Bummer! What is your occupation?
  • I've been a teacher for 8 years but I am looking to get into research. I just finished an old biology degree I had started years ago. I have been teaching science for 8 years but now I can actually do the job I had intended to do when I was doing the degree before. So I'm looking at like research positions at the health science center and lab positions at other labs.:)
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't know if you have a graduate degree, but....

Usually you need a PhD for a lot of the positions at Southwest Research (they won't even look at you without a Masters), but they actually use a lot of "temp" lab techs with biology degrees (at least a few years ago they did).  If you want to do something while you are looking, you can see if they have any openings at the temp agencies SWR uses. 

I was actually a temp lab tech there for awhile doing soils testing while I was finishing my engineering degree a few years ago.  The lab i was in was actually all biology folks - they did extractions and testing for anything from cancer causing agents in vacuum bag dust from a town that had a high cancer rate, to pesticide testing for HEB on their produce, to testing on dead animals found in areas thought to be contaminated with something.  I want to say the temp agency I went through (and the other temp biology folks in the lab) was TAD Technical over in Alamo Downs office park, but that was a few years ago, so I have no idea if they are still around.  The pay is really good since they don't provide benefits (because of the temp status).

And it looks good on your resume to say you worked at Southwest Research. ;)   GL on your job search!

• imagedawnzer:

Don't know if you have a graduate degree, but....

Usually you need a PhD for a lot of the positions at Southwest Research (they won't even look at you without a Masters), but they actually use a lot of "temp" lab techs with biology degrees (at least a few years ago they did).  If you want to do something while you are looking, you can see if they have any openings at the temp agencies SWR uses. 

I was actually a temp lab tech there for awhile doing soils testing while I was finishing my engineering degree a few years ago.  The lab i was in was actually all biology folks - they did extractions and testing for anything from cancer causing agents in vacuum bag dust from a town that had a high cancer rate, to pesticide testing for HEB on their produce, to testing on dead animals found in areas thought to be contaminated with something.  I want to say the temp agency I went through (and the other temp biology folks in the lab) was TAD Technical over in Alamo Downs office park, but that was a few years ago, so I have no idea if they are still around.  The pay is really good since they don't provide benefits (because of the temp status).

And it looks good on your resume to say you worked at Southwest Research. ;)   GL on your job search!

I actually have a masters in Education but I happen to know that right now that they aren't hiring anything at SWR. I have been looking daily. I will call the temp agency though! They know things that aren't on the website. :)

Also I have about 10 other places I'm looking for jobs at. Right now if I make enough to reimburse what we are having to have pulled out from hubby's paycheck to have me on his insurance it would be good. I need something soon! Heck I need something starting tomorrow if I could get it. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"