Pre-School and Daycare

If you "failed" 3D-PT...

Did anyone here do the three day potty training and your child just couldn't / wouldn't get it...?  If so, where did you go from there?  What else did you try?

We are on day four and I'm starting to get emotional.  DS will sit on the potty, but just won't go on it.  He's only had two successful times on the potty in four days (not including all the times I've caught him and put him on the potty to finish).  I've been super positive and done everything that I am supposed to be doing and I just don't feel like it's clicking for DS.  About 50% of the time, I see him holding himself and doing that little kid "pee shuffle" so he has be aware of the sensation but, when I ask if he has to go or try to make him sit down, he won't.

I'm not sure what to do, but I don't want to give up and waste four days of my hard work.

Re: If you "failed" 3D-PT...

• jsugrinjsugrin member

What are you doing while he's on the potty?  Standing there staring at him, reading a book, doing an embarrassing dance, standing with your back to him in the doorway?  If you're staring at him, well would you pee like that?  If you are doing the other things and he's still not going he's probably just not ready.

I found with mine that asking almost never did any good, he still will often tell me no and then a minute later run for the bathroom.  I would just say "oh looks like you have to pee, let's go!" and then run him to the bathroom.  I used to dance around and sing my made up potty song.  He'd laugh and ask for more, it made him relax enough to actually go.

• We gave up, like the book said.  We are going to try again this week.  It has been 3 months.
  • Loading the player...
  • Jinsy80Jinsy80 member
    He's only a little over 2 years old? I'd wait a couple more months to try again...maybe at 2 1/2. He's still pretty young.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Spin313Spin313 member
    imagejsugrin:

What are you doing while he's on the potty?  Standing there staring at him, reading a book, doing an embarrassing dance, standing with your back to him in the doorway? 

We started with reading books, then tried singing songs...all the success we've had has been while he is sitting on the potty chair watching his favorite kid show.

We're on day five now and I'm seeing slow progress.  I do think he's ready and don't want to quit.  Guess I was just hoping for some more encouraging suggestions...

• We tried it, but he just wasn't ready.  My son was doing the very same things your son is doing (i.e. holding himself), but it didn't click him.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • We stopped.  We tried at the exact same age your son is, and she never got it.  We were both getting frustrated, so we went back to diapers.  We tried again when she was 2y10m and she trained in 1.5 days with 3 accidents total.  Just because everyone on the Nest seems to PT at 2yo doesn't mean your kid is a failure if they don't.
  • We stopped as well.  That three days was exhausting and we are not looking forward to doing it again :/
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry but you can't force a child to be potty trained that is not ready.  Potty training has nothing to do with you and you wanting your child to be trained.,  This is 110% about your child.  My suggestion is to back off and try again in a month or when your child shows an interest.  Looks like your child is only 2 years and a a few months so still on the early side for being trained.  Most of the kids in my DD's daycare class start showing signs closer to 2 1/2.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"