Northern California Babies

Question about hand foot mouth disease

I think my DS has it.  I am not happy about this, but glad we stayed home this weekend, we were supposed to go to my nephew's 6th b-day today.

DS had a fever on Sunday night, then off and on through last night.  He also cut molars during this time, and would not let me open his mouth.  His appitite also dropped during  this time too.  Last night he had spots on his toes and now more have appeared, like blisters.  He still won't let me open his mouth.

I googled the image and sure enough looks like it.

Should we contain ourselves to home until the blisters disappear?

WDYT?

Thanks

Re: Question about hand foot mouth disease

• Aww, poor little guy. I hope he feels better soon. It does sound like it. I would probably at least stay home until they are mostly gone. They turn into red dots after a while and that is not as bad as the blisters. Maybe 3 days. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well 7 days total contagiousness, but it sounds like he has had it for a couple of days already. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • You should keep him at home until the blisters start to dry out. the spots won't fully be gone, but they'll be getting smaller and less red.
  • erinmserinms member

So sorry! We just went through this a few months ago and it was rough. DS was miserable and wouldn't sleep or eat much.  We stayed home because he was contagious, but also because he was too miserable to go out anywhere.  

Just keep an eye on his intake and output.  He can skip food for a couple of days, but he needs to keep drinking liquids.  If you notice he is taking in fewer liquids or is starting to have signs of being dehydrated (less urine, smelly urine, dry lips, etc.) call your pedi.

Also, we noticed the ulcers in the mouth when he was on the hanging table hollering.  His mouth was open wide while he yelled, so we grabbed a flashlight and peeked in.

Good luck, and it sounds like he has already gotten through the first couple of days of it.  Those were the worst for us, so hopefully you are past the worst of it.

• I just wanted to say how sorry I am your little man has this. Give him lots of snuggles and big hugs to you mamma.
  • Thanks for the feedback.  I definitely think he has got it.  We stayed home yesterday, luckily he enjoys our backyard and we have a school connecting to it so we can go play in the field and playground without leaving really.

I think he's almost healed, since it's been a week since the fever started.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"