Alabama Babies

Decorators, I need your opinions!

We are still in the process of getting A's big girl room set up.  (excuse the mess).  Until we got back from the beach, she was in her crib and then refused to sleep in a crib after she got a taste of a big girl bed.  I set up her bed and am in the process of clearing out the crap in the room. 

I  bought black out curtains for her room and it's just not working.  The room has an arched window above 3 windows together.  I was going to get a blind for the arch but really I love the arch and would hate to permanently close it.  I bought the curtains and I hate the way the rod hangs - I can already see it sagging because I can't hang the 3rd rod holder in the middle and it puts too much pressure on the right side. 

So - after Christy (?) was asking about curtains for her arched window - I started thinking of what else I can do.

Here is my idea:  Buy one more green panel.  Then get about 2 ft of a really fun/funky/floral fabric and sew that onto the bottom of the 4 curtain panels.  Maybe even sew two of the panels together.  Then hang the curtains ABOVE the arch?

Or - should I take back all 3 panels and attempt to do my own black out curtains? (although, for the price of the panels - I'm not sure I could do better than just reusing the ones I have. 

I was thinking of also adding some different ribbons to the seam of the panels where the fabric changes. 

Good idea? or really ugly?

Re: Decorators, I need your opinions!

• here is a picture of the window by itself

• I like the first option. I think it would be really cute to add a funky/cute piece to the bottom. It would make the room look more dramatic. I have a sliding glass door and want to raise my curtains and this is what I had thought about doing.
    Erin~N~Gregg 6/30/07 Project 365 imageCafeMom Tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • https://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/X5.aspx?DeptID=60156&CatID=60441&cmCatLevel=4&shopperType=X&CmCatId=60156|60194

Look at the Arch Cellular Shade.  My best friend has this arch shade in her nursery & it looks really good.  I am going over to her house for dinner tonight so I will take a picture to show you what it looks like. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Okay, so windows aren't my thing...I always think it's really difficult to make decisions for windows.  But, I like your idea of sewing a funky fabric to the bottom of your panels and I think a ribbon on the seam would look great.  Maybe you could get the same pattern that is in her bedding (do they make curtains to match...or a sheet or something that you could buy and then cut to sew on the panels?)  If not, then at least the same colors.  I think hanging them above the arch would be fine too.  One thing I think I would do, is to sew pairs of your panels together like you said so that they look like the double width panels.  So, if you have 4 panels, they would end up looking like 2 wide panels instead.  That would help keep some light out too and they would just look more substantial.

There is this stuff I just found out about at Lowe's and Home Depot that we are going to get for all the kids windows.  It's like a film or tint that you apply to the window.  It comes in different sizes and colors and is removeable.  You could maybe put that on your arch to help block light too.

• BTW...where did you get those panels?  I need lime green curtains for Haley's room.  But, I need like 108" length so they are hard to find.  Any idea if those come in that long of a length?  Also, what fabric are they?
  • Monica, I got them at Target and they only have 84" lengths.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"