High-Risk Pregnancy

when do you take your fasting # reading?

Hi Ladies, 

2 weeks ago I started getting above 90 readings for my fasting numbers (my doc told me to make sure it was between 60-90). So, after 4-5 days of consistently 90+ numbers, I called my endo and he upped my dosage (from 18 units, I went all the way up to 22).  For 2-3 days after I increased my dosage to 22 units, I was still getting low 90s numbers.  

Then, a few days ago, for no reason at all, I started taking my fasting readings about 15-20 minutes after I woke up (previously, I was taking the reading between 5-10 minutes of waking up).  My numbers have gone down to between 70-88.  

So, now I'm wondering... does it make a difference when you test?

Anyone else see their numbers drop depending on when you test in the morning?

Thanks! 

**a girl from Hawaii, living and driving in South India**

Re: when do you take your fasting # reading?

• I try to take it before I get out of bed - if I walk around and do anything before I do it my numbers get high.
  • thats a good question, i've wondered that myself, i test after i've gotten up, used the restroom, brushed my teeth etc, i have this mental thing that my bedroom is medicine free, meaning all my testing, needles and pills are in the kitchen. 

Here is on theory i heard when i had gestational with my first, depending on how you sleep and where the baby is, if the baby is pushing on the placenta the numbers are higher, if you walk around move things about the numbers come down.  my last two weeks preggers with my first was very hard, he was very high and laying right on his placenta, no matter what i ate, the doctor kept increasing my insulin everyother day to keep up.  he was not a big baby and everything came out ok but i gave myself such a hard time because i thought it was something i had done to get my numbers out of whack, now that i'm older, wiser and more educated about diabetes, i know that like with everything else about pregnancy its about the hormones, you could be the best dietician in the world and still have unstable numbers and still end up on insulin. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • just rule of thumb from a Diabetic, morning numbers are really difficult to keep low.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I take my fasting # 10-15 mins after I wake up everyday, and they're all over the place. Some days high and some days normal.
  • Thanks for the info ladies! The last 2 days of testing for me has brought me down into the 70s for fasting.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring! 

Oh well, good luck to everyone and thanks again for your input :) 

**a girl from Hawaii, living and driving in South India**

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"