Baby Showers

WWYD re: In law shower

My DH's aunt who is a very type A person called my MIL to tell her that she is throwing me a shower.  MIL told DH and told me the date.  I am excited that she wants to throw me a shower, but no one asked me re: the date!  First off it's July 17th- which is a little later than I would want a shower, but whatever I wouldn't have a problem.  The real problem is that it is the only day that the hospital is offering a birthing class between now and my EDD.  I really don't feel comfortable missing that.  It's from 9-4 that day. DH's aunt apparently already told MIL that that is the only weekend she can do it.   They are 2 1/2 hours away, I'll be 36 1/2 weeks pregnant and it's the middle of July.  I hate that I sound ungrateful but that's going to be rough.Also- I was told to tell them the theme I want and the games I want to play, I'm really not sure what to say.  So WWYD?  Am I a total b*tch for not just cancelling childbirth class and just going? 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic baby baby

Re: WWYD re: In law shower

• You need to go to your CB classes MUCH more than you need a baby shower. Just tell them the date doesn't work.
    Expect MIRACLES!! Shocking surprise BFP 9/12/12 After 2 IUIs, 3 IVFs w/ICSI and 1 FET we have been blessed with a healthy baby girl born 26 August 2010! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • pam1005pam1005 member
    I never went to a childbirth class.  Granted I did a lot of reading and toured the hospitals, but I did not feel the need for it.  I am an extremely laid back person and asked my doctor a lot of questions (including if a cb class was a necessity),  it is really up to you. They did not ask you the date, so it is not your fault that you are not available.  Do what you feel you need to do in order to be comfortable and ready for you LO to arrive.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd want to go to the birthing class.....but I'm also a type A personality and have to know exactly what to expect with pretty much everything.

If you really want to go to the class, go to the class!  If you skip the class and feel bad about it, the shower won't be fun anyway.

• Summers are hard for showers - it's beyond me why she wouldn't check with the most important person first. (Which makes me wonder how all these surprise showers work that people talk about). I'd call her up or email her and tell her thank you, but the date doesn't work. It's too bad because you're running out of time according to your ticker. Maybe they can do it on a Sunday instead? Makes for a long day of travel before a workday, but might be your only alternative? Good luck!

FWIW, I would've skipped my CB class - it was useless after everything I had already read online and in books. Complete waste of time, but it was free, so I can't complain either. :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • CB aside, I woudln't want to be in a car for a total of 5 hours at 36 weeks!

Just ay "Thank you SO much for the offer.  That is so sweet. Unfortunately that date wont' work for me.".

And honestly, I owuld even fib and say "doctors orders". Just shut down any "arguement" about the class, or how you'll be fine to drive that far.  Just say you're doc told you not to travel that far away.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• i don't think you're being unreasonable. how can someone just tell you a date without asking if you're free? it is very nice of her to want to throw you a shower, but she should've asked you what days were good for you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"