Single Parents
Options

NSelchert

Although there are many things I wish I could say, I am going to take a breath and give you a piece of advice.

I was in a tough situation, when I tell you that I smoked pot everyday and drank every night, I did it way too often. I was 16 when I found out and had my daughter when I was 17. Now I am 18. I found out I was pregnant between 6-8 weeks, I can't really remember the exact week. But I knew that I had to stop everything because I had a baby inside of me. Even though I didn't exactly know why it was bad for the baby at the time, it was just common sense that it was bad to be doing those things while pregnant.

Obviously I am a single mother, and I do NOT get help from the father in any way shape or form. I do not take welfare from the state. The only thing that helps me is WIC and health insurance. I have a job at Dunkin Donuts, but recently just got a new offer from Citizen's Bank making a ton of more money.

I am starting college in fall and getting all my degrees in Social Working, unless I change my major. I turned my life around.

My daughter was my first motivation to stop all the bad things. After I got out of the horrible situation I was in, I seek-ed counseling. It took me a few times to find one I connected with. After I overcame the issues of what happened to me with my daughter's father, my counselor helped me take the next steps in life with work and school, etc etc.

Please, stop smoking RIGHT NOW. Don't give us the *** about ''Oh I'm  working on quitting'' Do it now before it is too late. Please, if I can do it, you can too. Seek counseling and don't stop until you have found one that understands you.

You can turn your life around, God allows U-turns.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NSelchert

• Options

I have stopped.. I say working on quitting because it will always be a temptation because around here it is easy to find so it's always going to be a process. I mean if you stopped smoking cigs or drinking for 2 months to count that as that you have quit or still quitting because there is always that chance of relapse? Idk I guess I have to be sober longer for me to officially say I have quit. Maybe most people count it from day one, idk.. but that's just me. I want to make it to 6 months before I can say I have quit because I think by that time it won't be a temptaion anymore if I can go that long with out it ya know? People quit all the time.. then they start again.. I guess I just want to maintain a bit of time if that makes any sense.

And my treatment starts in 2 weeks which will also provide counseling and parenting classes.I'm working on turning my life around. It can't be done over night, it's a process.. you even said so yourself.

• Options
    I used to smoke pot ALL.THE.TIME. and it is nottttt addictive. I stopped smoking cold turkey, no problems so that I could get a good job. I never once craved it, felt the urge to smoke etc. I don't understand all this "oh I'm trying," and "oh it's a process" nonsense.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageAshleyMichelle06:
    I used to smoke pot ALL.THE.TIME. and it is nottttt addictive. I stopped smoking cold turkey, no problems so that I could get a good job. I never once craved it, felt the urge to smoke etc. I don't understand all this "oh I'm trying," and "oh it's a process" nonsense.

Me too, except I was pregnant. But I quit cold turkey and never had any urges.

• Options

I didn't smoke it out of habit.. I used it as a coping mechanism. So as long as I have to keep coping with the issues I am dealing with, it's going to be a temptation. Hence why I am working on my issues. Once I get a handle on things it won't be a problem. THAT is the process.

• Options
    imageNSelchert:

I didn't smoke it out of habit.. I used it as a coping mechanism. So as long as I have to keep coping with the issues I am dealing with, it's going to be a temptation. Hence why I am working on my issues. Once I get a handle on things it won't be a problem. THAT is the process.

Obviously is was enough of a problem for an intervention...and you didn't think you had a problem then... mmmm 

• Options
    Apparently pot is an 'anti-depressant'. Personally I call a load a bull on that. But pot is not addictive in any shape or form, the only way you'd even be considered addictive is if you just liked making up excuses for why you weren't quitting.
    Flying Solo, Formula Feeding, Working, Loving Life Momma of One. Image and video hosting by TinyPic ::NEW POST ON 2.7.2011:: Come Today, Blue Skies Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • Options
    How in the world do you make the same mistakes twice at such a young age?  It is so disheartening to see TEENAGERS make this mistake and then make it again and again.  It is harder to GET pregnant than it is NOT to.  I don't care what age you are.  The people who say they had multiple "oops" babies are lying.  I'll give you one "oops."  After that it is either intentional or complete and utter stupidity, period.  Either way, once you make this mistake once, you should know better than to make it again.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am sorry she is being forced into rehab she doesn't believe she has a problem. Tell them all about your "meeting" and  she thinks she is going to home school her children next year. This girl needs her children taken away.  So tell me is Brad the father of this child or are you just stringing this one along  so you have someone to sleep with?
  • Options

Of course pot can be addictive. One doesn't experience "withdrawal" from gambling but it can still be a powerful addiction.

Where are you people getting your brains from?

• Options

imagemeghan_marie:
    Seek God! I did. The power of prayer is unbelievable!

THIS.

• Options

imagemeghan_marie:

THIS.

• Options
    imageSpenjamins:

Of course pot can be addictive. One doesn't experience "withdrawal" from gambling but it can still be a powerful addiction.

Where are you people getting your brains from?

Gambling is a complusive disorder, and people do experience strong withdrawal from it when they can't act on that compulsion. One of my best friend's father is a gambling addict and has lost almost everything that family has because of that problem. He goes to GA (gamblers anon.) and is on medication to control his compulsion but it doesn't always help. Yes, there is NA but most of the people there are for hardcore drugs. And there is no medication to block the "urge" to smoke pot. Pot in itself is not addictive. The need to escape reality is her problem.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

imagecrazynervous:
    I am sorry she is being forced into rehab she doesn't believe she has a problem. Tell them all about your "meeting" and  she thinks she is going to home school her children next year. This girl needs her children taken away.  So tell me is Brad the father of this child or are you just stringing this one along  so you have someone to sleep with?

whoa!  do you know this girl?  wow.  just wow.

• Options

Pot can me mentally addictive.  Just because one person could quit cold turkey doesn't mean that others don't have problems.  If you don't have methods to cope with stress that replaces the pot, you crave that relaxation.  Ask any therapist. 

I quit smoking cigarettes after trying once.  I smoked for 10 years, 2 packs at the end.  Because I quit easily does that mean it's easy for everyone?  No. 

• Options
    imagemandaphilly:

imagemeghan_marie:

THIS.

That's awesome for you, but not everyone is religious, so that advice does nothing.  

• Options
    imageEchowysp:
    imagemandaphilly:

imagemeghan_marie:

THIS.

That's awesome for you, but not everyone is religious, so that advice does nothing.  

It is awesome for me, and I am very thankful. But I was NEVER religious, questioned God often, etc etc. I was born and 'raised Catholic, but never went to church or anything like that. Now I am a newborn Christian. I understand your point about not everybody believing, but I was there, and I reformed. Idk... my point is that it's not impossible to not be religious one day but the next day God can change your life.

• Options
    mrgnmrgn member
    imagemandaphilly:
    imageEchowysp:
    imagemandaphilly:

imagemeghan_marie:

THIS.

It is awesome for me, and I am very thankful. But I was NEVER religious, questioned God often, etc etc. I was born and 'raised Catholic, but never went to church or anything like that. Now I am a newborn Christian. I understand your point about not everybody believing, but I was there, and I reformed. Idk... my point is that it's not impossible to not be religious one day but the next day God can change your life.

I have a very hard time telling people to "seek God" because many people aren't receptive to that kind of advice. I understand your desire and duty as a Christian to spread the Word but sometimes I think the SP board isn't the best place to do it when you don't know the person you are talking to personally. I was never receptive to that sort of thing. I had to come to it on my own through conversations with a close friend about her beliefs.

• Options
    imagemandaphilly:
    imageEchowysp:
    imagemandaphilly:

imagemeghan_marie:

THIS.

But people throwing a "prayer can change your life!!" really does a person who has no interest in becoming religious any good.   And, to be honest, it can turn them off to what else you might have to say that is of more use to the person.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"