TTC After a Loss 6 Months+
Options

RE update

I posted last night about starting my period at an inconvenient time.  According to the RE, today is CD1.  I went in to get my paperwork and calendar for Clomid and tomorrow I have to go to New Orleans to get my CD3 u/s, because that's the only office that's open.  It's about an hour and a half away from my house, but that's okay because at least I won't have to cancel my Houston trip, so I am tickled pink about that.

I asked about why I'm doing Clomid if I'm ovulating on my own.  They told me it is to help with the progesterone and to hopefully produce better quality follicles/embryo.  If I still miscarry on this, they want me to do IVF with PGD, which I think wouldn't help anything.  They said that yes, I haven't had any chromosome issues, but I've had 3 losses and they only know for sure that the last one didn't have chromosome issues.  I said, "But the last one was the only one that even made an embryo."  They said that didn't matter.  So if I miscarry after trying the Clomid and aspirin for MTHFR, I don't know what my next step will be.

Then they said, "You know the fee for the Clomid cycle is $715.  I burst into tears.  Then they checked my insurance and told me it was $30.  I guess that's my silver lining.

If you read all of this, thanks for listening!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: RE update

• Options
    I'm so glad things are working out.  I would have cried too if I had to pay that much for a clomid cycle.  I hope you never have to figure out what the step after clomid is.
    imageimage
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle!
    April 2011 CP @ 5 weeks
  • Options
    Good Luck I hope that this cycle works for you!!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers IVF #1 BFP Beta #1 528 & Beta #2 1514
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    vflipovflipo member
    I hope everything works out this cycle! 
    I married a ginger.
    m/c 12/25/09 (5w5d) mm/c D&C 4/9/10 (11w1d) Take home baby 2/22/11
    My boobies belong to cour10e
  • Options
    Good luck and I hope that this cycle is the magic for you.
  • Options

so.....sounds like pretty good news all around! I hope the clomid works for you and you don't have to worry about IVF. Just think about what's right around the corner, not what's around the corner and down the block...

• Options

I'm glad you'll be able to go forward this cycle even with the bad timing!

Have you guys thought about doing karyotyping to see if PGD is really necessary? My RE seems to think it's only worth it if he *knows* there is a chromosomal problem. One major reason for this being that PGD inevitably damages the embryo when the cell is extracted and especially for his recurrent loss patients, he doesn't like doing anything unnecessary (or questionably necessary) that could damage the embryo. And karyotyping, while expensive, is less than PGD and may even be covered by your insurance.

• Options
    I'm really glad that they got you into the other office.  I know that being that far away isn't ideal but I know you are more than willing!  I have done clomid before with Oing and it was for those reasons, it ended up working out really well for me so I hope that it happens the same for you.  Good luck!
    DD(9)DD(5.5)DS(3)DS(born 2/1/11) July 2006, lost a baby at 8 weeks, natural miscarriage , May 2009 lost Zoe Eliana at 17 weeks no reason known, possible under developed organs. Lost two more babies in September 2009 at 7 wks 4 days. Had myomectomy surgery to remove a large fibroid in November 2009.
  • Options
    I'm glad you are able to get an u/s so you can still go on your trip.  Good luck this cycle I hope if brings you your take home baby.
  • Options

Thanks everyone!!!

imageColindaP:

I'm glad you'll be able to go forward this cycle even with the bad timing!

Have you guys thought about doing karyotyping to see if PGD is really necessary? My RE seems to think it's only worth it if he *knows* there is a chromosomal problem. One major reason for this being that PGD inevitably damages the embryo when the cell is extracted and especially for his recurrent loss patients, he doesn't like doing anything unnecessary (or questionably necessary) that could damage the embryo. And karyotyping, while expensive, is less than PGD and may even be covered by your insurance.

This is exactly what I've been thinking!

We've done the karotyping and it's come back normal.  So did the results from the chromosome testing on the embryo after my D&C.  That's why I've been thinking the PGD is unneccessary and risky.  What my RE is saying is that we've had 3 losses, and we only know for sure that the last one didn't have chromosome issues.  But that's an awful lot of money for something that risky, so that's not a plan for us right now.  When I talked about it with the nurse today, she said, "We're not even going to think about this yet!  We're going to assume the Clomid will help right now and if it doesn't, we'll get more into that later."  I'm thinking maybe they're just saying that because they can't figure out what else is wrong with me.

• Options
    good luck, I hope this is all it takes for you!  :0)
  • Options
    kew243kew243 member
    Yee!  So far things are working out for you!  I'm glad you can go to Houston and start the plan!  Sometimes things are just meant to be... I'll be crossing my fingers for you!
  • Options
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    Marie, wife to Ron, mom to DS
  • Options

I don't think I believe your RE, regarding the necessity of PGD/IVF.  I hate that so many docs seem to jump straight to it instead of looking at the issues at hand.  If your karyotype came back normal and your last loss was normal, it's more likely that the MTHFR is causing the recurrent loss. . . or some sort of implantation/immune issue.

Here's hoping the clomid will work and you won't have to further discuss the issue with the doc.  I can see why you're frustrated. 

• Options
    imagegrr_aargh:

I don't think I believe your RE, regarding the necessity of PGD/IVF.  I hate that so many docs seem to jump straight to it instead of looking at the issues at hand.  If your karyotype came back normal and your last loss was normal, it's more likely that the MTHFR is causing the recurrent loss. . . or some sort of implantation/immune issue.

Here's hoping the clomid will work and you won't have to further discuss the issue with the doc.  I can see why you're frustrated. 

And I hate to add this, because none of us wants to think this about our doctor, but let's be real. PGD/IVF is quite a profitable venture for an RE. 

• Options

imageColindaP:
    And I hate to add this, because none of us wants to think this about our doctor, but let's be real. PGD/IVF is quite a profitable venture for an RE. 

Well, yeah.

Not that I distrust doctors - I really don't, I often think that they have our best interest in mind, but I also think that often they don't consider that "best interest" might also include fiscal concerns. 

• Options
    Good luck! I've got my fingers crossed for you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagegrr_aargh:

Thanks!  This makes me feel better about not doing it.  I hope the Clomid & aspirin will work and I won't even have to worry about it!

• Options
    I'm glad you were able to work things around your trip. I really hope this leads to your sticky baby!

BFP 12/18/2009. HB 1/4/2010. NO HB 1/18/2010. D&C 1/19/2010
    April 2011 IUI #1 BFN. High FSH and other issues.
    May 2011 Chose to build our family through adoption
    September 2011 Actively waiting for a match
    11/26/11 Surprise BFP * DD born 7/23/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"