Multiples
Options

If you had to take one home before the other...

How did you work it?

Nanette is ready to be discharged tomorrow, and will be rooming in the parenting room with me tonight while DH stays at home with the animals and does all the last minute cleaning.  We are anticipating Maggie being discharged Sunday or Monday

I hate having to take one home and leave one here by herself, but I see the benefits of taking just one home too.  I'm not sure if I even have the option to room in with Nanette until Maggie is ready to be discharged, but I'm not certain that would be best anyway.

Please share your experiences and any advice you have to offer.  I'm soooo not sure what to do!

TIA!

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
The Bump MoM Recipe Collection

Re: If you had to take one home before the other...

• Options

DS was in NICU for 26 days and DD was home with us. It was hard, DH took off from work while he was in NICU so I had him home with me, I don't know if that is an option for you. He was able to take care of her, while I was with Jake and then we would switch in the waiting room. We saw Jake 2-3 times during the day, in the morning, lunch time and then around 7-8 at night before we went home (he was at a NICU 2 hours away from home). We called during the day and when we got up in the middle of the night with Addy since it was less busy during that time.

Rooming wasn't an option for us, they had 2 rooms for that and they were the same as a jail cell and there were no private rooms. I would check and see if you can stay up there in the hospital, especcially since Maggie may be coming home on Sunday or Monday. I hope they are both home together soon!

Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I took my two girls home a week earlier than my son.  It was tough because I didn't want to leave the girls with anyone but my husbandfor any extended period of time.  Me and my husband would alternate days going to see him.  He would go straight from work and then on my days to visit, he would stay home with the girls while I went up to visit. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This happened to us, our daughter was discharged on a Saturday and our son not until Monday.  They were both born premature but she started eating better and more than him and BF though a pound smaller.  Here is the good news, as awful and traumatic it was to leave one at the hospital sometimes this is exactly what the other needs.  It was one of the staff that told us that, when one leaves often the other seems to notice and quickly catches up.  I know it sounds silly but our son had a feeding tube since he was too sleepy to eat.  We took our daughter home and he quickly improved, even started BF when he had barely able to latch even a day before.  We came in one day and his feeding tube was out and the next day he was discharged, and what an amazing day that was.  You will see.  I hope and pray you have the same result.  Our hospital also let us bring the discharged twin with us when we visited the still hospitalized one and they seemed happier being near each other again, I hope your hospital has this option too.  Take care and celebrate your one daughter's victory but feel free to weep a little for the other being unable to come home yet.  For me crying it out helped me deal with it.  All the best. 
    H: 34 dx Azoospermia due to CBAVD from CF  
    ME: 39 IS FINE!!!  DOR and poor AMH/FSH/LH
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #1 Beta 1 373 Beta 2 1783 BOY/GIRL TWINS!! Born April 2010!!
    Natural FET 5/26/12 2 blasts Beta 1 207 Beta 2 513 Beta 3 1377 U/S 6/28 Pregnancy not viable d & c scheduled :( 
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #2 ER 11/15/12 Nothing to transfer :( 
    IVF/ICSI #3 April 2013 MDLF 3dt of 3 embryos, chemical :(  
    IVF #4/ICSI/MESA/CCS/FET EPP April 2015
    ODWU CCRM with Dr. Sch COMPLETE!!!! Put on acai supplement they are studying for DOR and embryo quality.
    DAY 3 Labs Drawn 2/26 put on vitamin D and calcium supplements
    Regroup and Protocol Reveal 3/04 "Bazooka Protocol" EPP with MDLF "Protocol 6 with patches"
    ER/MESA 4/10 ER 9 eggs retrieved MESA success found live swimmers :)
    Fertilization Report 6 eggs mature and ICSI'd 4 eggs fertilized normally
    Day 6 Report to Blast for CCS 4/16: 2 DAY 5 BLASTS BIOPSIED FOR CCS a 4AB and a 3AB!!!!
    CCS Results BOTH BLASTS CCS NORMAL!!!!!!  call on 4/24
    Regroup call to discuss CCS results and FET call on 5/20
    FET prep: CD 1 6/08 CD 3 Start BCP 6/10, HSG 6/12 Lupron Start 10 iu 6/17 End BCP 6/21 CD 1 6/23!!!
    Start vivelle patches 6/25 change e/o/d reduce Lupron to 5iu 6/25 Blood Draw 7/01, 7/08, 7/15, 7/19
    Increase vivelle patches 7/03 2 change e/o/d and 7/05 change e/o/d 3 and 7/07 4 change e/o/d add vaginal estrace 2x a day
    Lining Check/Blood Draw 7/08 and 7/15 End Lupron 7/18  Start PIO 1ml daily 7/18  Blood  Draw 7/19
    Flight to clinic 7/22
    FET 2 CCS BLASTS :):)  7/23 :):) YES YES both thawed and both fully expanded :):)
    7/26 :):) 3dp5dt PM very very faint positive FRER
    7/27: 4dp5dt Neg Digi AM but very very faint positive FRER PM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 1-2 :):) 
    7/31:8dp5dt AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 2-3!!!! :):) 
    Beta 1 8/01= 408!!!!!!!!!! at 9dp5dt FET
    Beta 2 8/03 = 1014!!!!!!!!!! at 11dp5dt FET
    8/05/2015 AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 3+!!!! :):) 
    First Ultrasound: 8/20!!!!!! TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Genetics says BOTH BOYS!!!!!!!!!
    Second Ultrasound: 9/03!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    I had my girls on Monday and I was dischraged on Friday.  Ava was discharged as well so we took her home with us.  Gracie was in the NICU and they basically left it up to us, they would have let her go home with us or let her stay one more night in the NICU and come home the next Morning (Sat Morning).  We live 5 min from the hospital.  Our hospital stay was very hectic and crazy and even though it was hard to leave Gracie in the NICU it was only for one night and it allowed us to go home get settled with one baby before bringing Gracie home.  Our pedi recommended it as well, knowing how overwhelmed we were and how much we just needed to get home and have some quiet time.  I know other MoM's may have chosen something else, but for us this worked.  
  • Options
    kegkeg member
    I came home on Sunday, one DD was discharged Monday, and the other on Tuesday.  I actually liked it (other than having to find someone to stay with my first DD because both DH and I had to do a training before my second DD could come home with an apnea monitor) because it gave me a chance to get settled a little bit at a time. 
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options

This is what I'm hoping for Maggie.  Nanette is such a feeding champ that in comparison to her, Maggie looks like she's lagging behind.  But in reality, she is doing really well for her gestational age.  I think that some of the nurses aren't as patient with Maggie and give up on her when she just needs a small break before finishing her bottles, while others seem to get it and she ends up doing wonderful.  Hopefully, without her sister there, she'll also get a bit more attention too. 

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
  • Options
    It was a real challenge for me.  The twins were born 10 days before we were moving.  My niece was here to help with DD#1, DH was working AND packing the house AND ddealing with closings, etc.  SO with DS in NICU for 9 days it was crazy.  Basically DD#2 lived in my Moby and she and I went back and forth to the hospital for all of DS's feedings (by day 4 they let me nurse him).  It is a blur and a very hectic time, but somehow we managed!  I basically would go to the hospital, hang with both babies, nurse them, go home and sleep and eat and get up and do it again.  He was feeding every 3 hours and Adeline and I would trek up to the hospital for every feeding except the 3 a.m. one.  Holy cow- moving and settling ito a new home with a 19 month old and newborn twins was a breeze after those 9 days!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't know if this is an option for you, but when Taylor came home Ellie was still there and they let Taylor come back to visit. Ellie was there for 15 days after Taylor was discharged so I'm so glad they allowed that. They even kept a bassinet by Ellie's bed for her so she could nap in it while we were there.
  • Options

Lucas came home after 23 days and Elena came home after 38 days. It was a very long 15 days. I would wake up in the morning, feed Lucas, go to the hospital for a couple hours, come home and shower, spend some time with Lucas, go back to the hospital for another couple of hours, come home and shower, go to bed, wake up, and repeat. I felt very divided and very frustrated with everything. I think that's when my PPA/PPD really kicked in but it was lingering. I hated my situation, I didn't know where I needed to be, and I felt like I was giving one kid more love than the other!

I know this sounds discouraging but Elena got sick so she was there longer than she needed to be. I am positive that Maggie will be home in no time! I had PPA/PPD so that really affected my whole situation. I wish you luck and I am sure it will be easier on you.

The plus side was that Nate got a lot of bonding time with Lucas which he really appreciated. I also got alone time with Elena which I appreciated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"