Natural Birth

Would you attempt a vaginal delivery for a breech baby?

I ask because there is one OB who vaginally delivers breech babies in my city.  (This is him, https://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/episodes/august-14-2009/dr-t/3115/  He's actually quite an amazing man!).  He's also incredibly supportive of VBAC, even VBAC after multiple cesareans so a large number of the women on my local ICAN board are his patients.

From what I've read, breech deliveries (esp. certain breech presentations) aren't really that much more difficult or complicated than some of the vertex presentations (sunny side up for example) BUT it's become a lost art because of the tendency of maternal care in the US to err on the side of c-section.  Not to mention most OBs haven't been present for a breech delivery let alone attended one.

So out of curiosity, assuming you had a breech skilled attendant, would you attempt to deliver a breech baby vaginally? 

Re: Would you attempt a vaginal delivery for a breech baby?

• No way in H*LL! My son was sunny side up and that delivery was absolutely horrible. I would even go as far to say it was traumatizing. I pushed for 3 hours and he ended up getting stuck. He had shoulder dystocia and had to be recissitated when he finally came out. I really couldn't imagine trying to deliver a breech baby!
  • I think it would depend on what type of breech. I mean really a baby butt is pretty much the same size as their head when they are bent in half. And as long as your care provider is experienced with them I would feel like I was in good hands.

I think the reason that most docs wont touch a breech is because they have to be "hands off" and just let it happen, and they just arent taught to do that anymore. They are taught to DO something kwim?

• Loading the player...
  • imageAllieJean:

I think it would depend on what type of breech. I mean really a baby butt is pretty much the same size as their head when they are bent in half. And as long as your care provider is experienced with them I would feel like I was in good hands.

I think the reason that most docs wont touch a breech is because they have to be "hands off" and just let it happen, and they just arent taught to do that anymore. They are taught to DO something kwim?

I agree with this. I don't know a whole lot about breech births, but I do know that there are private midwives who will assist in such cases.  I think i remember reading that they do breech births on the Farm.  I think I would definitely consider trying a breech birth if my provider were experienced with it - and this doc seems to be an expert.

Also, my DD was sunny side up, too, with both hands at her cheeks, giving me an extra few inches to push out!  While it was not pleasant at all, there was no reason for her not to be born naturally.  The labor was a bit longer than "normal," maybe (21 hours of active labor), but she was born without complication. 

• flyer23flyer23 member

That's pretty cool about Doc T!

The midwife who delivered DS does vaginal breech deliveries. I trust her completely, so if she felt I was a good candidate for one, I'd seriously consider it. I'd have a lot of questions for her beforehand, though!

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Absolutely!  But I'm pretty sure around here if baby is breech, it's not even an option.  Sad

Mine's breech currently but it's still early.  We'll have to see.

Oh, and I know I read footling breech is nearly impossible, but butt first is okay, so I suppose that would make a difference.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No way.   You will always find people to support either way. A baby butt is not at all the same as delivering a baby head. Deliveries can be very scary, and until you see one go bad, many people don't realize that. I've also been in multiple c-sections for mom's who have had previous c-sections where the mom's uterus is as thin as a piece of cloth, that's why they don't do VBAC's alot, b/c the risk of rupture. I would do ANYTHING not to have a c-section but from my very personal experience, I would never put my baby in harms way to deliver breech or deliver VBAC, it's just too scary to me.
  • I would.  I trust my MWs, they have a lot of experience delivering breech vaginally.  We of course would consider things like what type of breech and how big the baby is.  I've heard that premature babies' butts can be smaller than their head which could cause issues...but I obviously would be delivering a premature baby with an OB anyway..  Honestly, a c section is my worst nightmare.
  • absolutely! there is only one doctor here in the DC area who is skilled at breech deliveries. i have met him and he is an amazing person. i would absolutely have my baby with him, if i needed an OB. my MW is also trained in breech vaginal deliveries, so the OB option would only be exercised if there were some complication. i don't consider breech presentation to be a complication. it's not ideal presentation, but it is also not a ocmplication.

and, i totally agree wtih OPs assessment of why breech deliveries are no longer standard. it's really quite shameful. so many mams cut for no reason. 

also, i've read that the risk of uterine rupture in a vbac is not significantly greater than the risk of uterine rupture in a c/s birth. 

• imageLindseyJW:

also, i've read that the risk of uterine rupture in a vbac is not significantly greater than the risk of uterine rupture in a c/s birth. 

You are correct.  (Believe me I read EVERYTHING before signing up for a VBAC)  The risk of rupture with a VBAC is very low and in fact there was just a study released that indicates the risk of rupture with a VBAC is equally as low as it is with a mom having her first delivery....

Here's info on the study:

Readers' Digest version...The risk of uterine rupture (the main thing OBs bring up when you ask about VBAC) is equally low between women having their first vaginal delivery and women having a VBAC. Meaning there is no increased risk of uterine rupture for women who have had a previous c-section. Hopefully this study will help VBAC regain the support of obstetricians and hospitals who avoid or ban them!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20447886

BACKGROUND: Previous studies assessing the safety of vaginal birth after caesarean section (VBAC) have compared VBAC to elective repeat caesarean section (ERCS), despite the fact that the risks posed by each are considerably different. Explaining the complications of VBAC in a way that is meaningful to women can be challenging, and thus a comparison to a similar group of women who have also not undergone previous vaginal delivery may be a more relevant comparison.

RESEARCH QUESTION: When counselling women undergoing planned VBAC, should a comparison of outcomes be made to women undergoing ERCS, or is a comparison to other nulliparous women undergoing vaginal birth a more valid comparison in terms of risk outcomes?

PARTICIPANTS AND METHODS: A retrospective cohort study was undertaken comprising a consecutive cohort of 21,389 women who delivered, stratified by Robson's criteria into Robson groups 1-5. Those in Robson groups 6-10 were not included. Demographic data and maternal/neonatal outcomes were reviewed, with main outcome measures comprising uterine rupture, post-partum haemorrhage (PPH), 3rd/4th degree tears and neonatal morbidity.

RESULTS: There was no increase in postpartum hemohorage, vaginal tears or neonatal complications in the VBAC group when compared to Robson groups 1 and 2 (nulliparous women in spontaneous or induced labour, respectively). Uterine rupture rates were low in all groups, with no correlation identified.

DISCUSSION: The maternal and neonatal morbidity associated with VBAC is comparable to primiparous women undergoing a vaginal birth.

CONCLUSION: In demonstrating the low relative morbidity in this comparison, these outcomes may aid in counselling women faced with the choice of VBAC versus ERCS. Copyright ? 2010 Australian College of Midwives. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

• imageJellyMama:

So out of curiosity, assuming you had a breech skilled attendant, would you attempt to deliver a breech baby vaginally? 

Sure!  My MW delivers breech babies, so had that been the only issue with DD, I would have attempted a vaginal delivery.  Unfortunately, with as low as her fluid was, my MW didn't think she would make it through a vaginal birth and I was sent immediately for a c/s after my BPP determined the fluid levels.  Well, almost immediately.  My MW & I sat in the office and cried for a good 20 minutes before we headed to the hospital. lol

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • iris427iris427 member

imagedulcinea:
    No way.   You will always find people to support either way. A baby butt is not at all the same as delivering a baby head. Deliveries can be very scary, and until you see one go bad, many people don't realize that. I've also been in multiple c-sections for mom's who have had previous c-sections where the mom's uterus is as thin as a piece of cloth, that's why they don't do VBAC's alot, b/c the risk of rupture. I would do ANYTHING not to have a c-section but from my very personal experience, I would never put my baby in harms way to deliver breech or deliver VBAC, it's just too scary to me.

A thin uterus doesn't necessarily mean a rupture was imminent.  VBAC is safe.  I don't know why people like you continue to insist that it isn't, in spite of mountains of evidence.  Even VBAC after multiple cesareans can be done safely.  The odds of rupture in a VBAC are around the same as the odds of an emergency in the general laboring population--on par with things like prolapsed cord.  So by your logic, if that is an unacceptable risk level, no one should ever deliver vaginally. 

Except that you also have the same level of risk in a cesarean section--different risks, but risks all the same.  So I guess no one should ever have babies LOL. 

I am not saying everyone should choose VBAC.  It just makes me angry when people act like VBAC is SOOO dangerous and scare women away from it, when it's actually very safe.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:

Except that you also have the same level of risk in a cesarean section--different risks, but risks all the same.  So I guess no one should ever have babies LOL. 

Exactly.  Birth risks are six of one, a half dozen of the other, depending on your method.  Personally I've found the ever so slightly increased risk of rupture to be less off-putting than the full page of "what if's" that I had to sign off on with my c/s consent.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageiris427:

imagedulcinea:
    No way.   You will always find people to support either way. A baby butt is not at all the same as delivering a baby head. Deliveries can be very scary, and until you see one go bad, many people don't realize that. I've also been in multiple c-sections for mom's who have had previous c-sections where the mom's uterus is as thin as a piece of cloth, that's why they don't do VBAC's alot, b/c the risk of rupture. I would do ANYTHING not to have a c-section but from my very personal experience, I would never put my baby in harms way to deliver breech or deliver VBAC, it's just too scary to me.

A thin uterus doesn't necessarily mean a rupture was imminent.  VBAC is safe.  I don't know why people like you continue to insist that it isn't, in spite of mountains of evidence.  Even VBAC after multiple cesareans can be done safely.  The odds of rupture in a VBAC are around the same as the odds of an emergency in the general laboring population--on par with things like prolapsed cord.  So by your logic, if that is an unacceptable risk level, no one should ever deliver vaginally. 

I am not saying everyone should choose VBAC.  It just makes me angry when people act like VBAC is SOOO dangerous and scare women away from it, when it's actually very safe.

This.  I'm sure it must be traumatizing to see a birth go wrong but that's why it is so important to look at studies where many women are evaluated.  It's the only thing that allows us to measure the true risk.  It would be traumatizing to see a horrific car accident but we still get behind the wheel each day.  We know there's a risk each time but it is a calculated risk that we're comfortable with, ya know.

• iris427iris427 member
    imageDobie_Mama:
    imageiris427:

Exactly.  Birth risks are six of one, a half dozen of the other, depending on your method.  Personally I've found the ever so slightly increased risk of rupture to be less off-putting than the full page of "what if's" that I had to sign off on with my c/s consent.

Yep, there is always talk about the risks of VBAC, but you hardly ever hear the risks of repeat cesarean, especially to the mother.  The baby is not the only person who matters.  My health matters too and I am allowed to consider that without being selfish.  Not to mention, I have a child already who needs a healthy mother.  

OP sorry to derail your thread, I know this was supposed to be about breech births, not VBAC. :) 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • i'm a doula in atlanta, and my group works with dr. t a lot.  in fact, one of my clients just had a vaginal breech delivery two weeks ago!  tate is awesome, and i would do it in a heartbeat. 

feel free to email me if you want to talk more!

mjsmomma07 at gmail.

• CTri17CTri17 member
    I for sure would. If I had someone skilled in it, I would be trying it, they always did it in the past, what is so different now?
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Yes, studies have shown that a properly attended breech birth vaginally is STILL safer than a C-section.  The problem is with the obs & training, not with the baby or your body.
  • Yep, if I could find someone experienced to do it.  However, as far as I know there aren't any doctors/midwives in C Springs that do vaginal breech and only 1 in Denver.  Sad, sad, sad state of affairs

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes I absolutely would! And I will with this one if it comes time and that is how LO has decided to be. In fact Canada (I believe) just changed or is about to change it's medical policy on breech presentations and how they decide who "needs" a c-section and who can progress with vaginal delivery. They are planning a huge education campaign for doctors that were never taught this disappearing skill, as well as for current med students that would not currently be taught this.

My mother was a breech baby and my Nanny (grandmother) delivered her with a midwife in Ireland. I have no fear of breech because of this.

Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos
  • imageCTri17:
    I for sure would. If I had someone skilled in it, I would be trying it, they always did it in the past, what is so different now?

Fear of litigation.  Thank the lawyers for this.  

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Yes I totally would. I know people who have had breeched babies naturally and I feel it is something that should not automatically equal a c-section. Yes they are complicated births but there are several types of births that are complicated and I still think the recovery of a c-section would be worse.

• DS was breech. When we discovered (after my water broke) I asked the MW if she felt comfortable. She said she would have done it if there wasn't meconium. He did end up with MAS.

We also found out (afterwards obviously) that he was 9 lbs. MW was estimating him 7 lbs. So I guess in the end, I'm glad that I didn't attempt a breech birth with my first 9 lb MAS child.

But I would have done it if she had been comfortable. (We were at home, BTW)

• Absolutely!! anything to avoid a c-section. Unless that were my only option of course. Luckily my MW is comfortable has attended other breeched deliveries so I am comfortable with making such decision.

• Depending on the kind of breech, I absolutely would. I haven't done a lot of research on it, but I believe a footling breech can be very dangerous for the baby. If it would be safer for the baby for me to have a c-section (which I know is not the case for all or even most breech babies) then that's what I'd do.
  • imageiris427:

imagedulcinea:

This. If the risk of harm to my baby is not significantly greater one way or another, I'm always going to choose the most natural, least invasive method. And, I'm sorry, but cesarean is always going to be more invasive.

• I was a double footling breech born vaginally.  I basically slipped out while my mom was being wheeled to the operating room.  

My shoulders did get stuck, so they put out an APB for all medical students in the hospital to come watch as the OB pulled my arms down.  He said there was a slight risk that I would have trouble lifting my arms.  I don't.  I'm fine.

I would absolutely consider a vaginal birth for a breech baby. 

DS born February 2009 * DD born September 2011
  • shakesshakes member
    imageiris427:

imagedulcinea:

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't understand how we got so far away from letting a woman's body do what it's been doing for millions of years. It makes me angry that women have been lead to believe that there's so much they CAN'T do. It's sad. Enough with the intervention and paranoia!

Hell yes I would attempt a breech birth, I also have faith in my midwives and their experience. I was there when my godson was born and I was heartbroken when my cousin was induced after 3 days overdue and rushed through labour and when her dr said, "ok lets move this along I have rounds to make"....... quite a few choice colourful words came to mind. He acted like her 7 hour labour was borderline c/s worthy...asshat!!

• I'm not sure. I'm in ob med ed, and there's no published literature fro the US on it which makes me uncomfortable. Baby is breech now (still time to turn, though!) but if confirmed breech in 2 weeks I'll call my hypnobirthing instructor for the recorded script (she already told me she'd record it for me) and try acupuncture. And I'd try a version if nothing worked. I'm just not sure what I'd do if all of that failed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"