Preemies
Options

Likely to have twin preemies..

Hi ladies, I have been lurking over here for a few days because I am probably going to have two little preemies.

I went into preterm labor at 29 weeks, and then again a few days ago. Luckily, they were able to stop it, but I am currently 4cm and could really have them at any time.

I was hoping I could hear your NICU experiences with 32-34week preemies.

Thanks so much 

ETA: I have had steroid shots also, so I was wondering how much that would help them out. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Likely to have twin preemies..

• Options

Congratulations on your twins!  I'm sorry you might be joining us, but welcome to the board.

My DD was a 28 weeker so I can't tell you much about a 32-34 week experience.  But I wanted to say that the steroids can do WONDERS for preemies!  DD barely got two doses before I delivered her and she was only on the vent a day despite being a 28 weeker born at 1 lb 11 oz.  She was on CPAP a lot and had a relapse back to CPAP after she had been on the nasal cannula a while.  But in general her breathing wasn't nearly as bad as we might have expected.

Good luck you to you and your twins.  Stay put little ones stay put!

• Options
    akaMrsLakaMrsL member
    Congrats on you twins!!  Good job getting to 32 weeks :-)  I had my g/g twins at 32w3d.  I was put on home bed rest at 18.5 weeks due to a short cervix.  Then ended up in the hospital at 23 weeks for short cervix and PTL. I was in the hospital for 10 weeks.  I was able to get 2 rounds of steroids (24 weeks & 28 weeks).  My girls were born perfectly healthy.  Baby A was 3lbs 2 oz and B was 4 lbs 6 ozs.  They didn't need any assistance breathing.  They were considered "feeders & growers"...just had to learn to take a bottle and grow.  They came home after 24 & 25 days.   If your twins need to be in the NICU, I hope it is a short stay. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Notes:
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I hope your two little ones stay put for as long as possible. William was born at 32 weeks 1 day due to PTL. I got one round of steriod shots at 31 weeks. He didn't need any assistance breathing. He was born at 4 lbs 2 oz. He was in the NICU for 21 days. He had some slow intestine problems but that resolved itself. After that he just needed to learn how to eat and regulate his body temperature. Our stay at the NICU was relitively easy, but that's not to say it was without worry or tears.

Just take everything, starting now, one day at a time.

• Options
    Thank you ladies, it is nice hearing other peoples experience!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

DS didn't get the steroid shots (everything happened somewhat quickly) and was on CPAP and then needed to be intubated for 48 hrs to get surfactant to help his lungs. He was off breathing assistance in 5 days and then took another 9 days to learn to eat. Learning to eat is the most frustrating part of the NICU stay (not the scariest, but the most frustrating) b/c they otherwise seem so ready to be home with you. Girls do better than boys typically at learning to eat. Just know that it really is like a switch - they go from not taking hardly anything at all to suddenly taking the whole feed every single time. You won't see steady progress usually - just from 0 to 60 in a snap!

Hope you're able to stay pg for a few more weeks!

• Options
    jbl126jbl126 member
    I had my girls at 33w 4d and I only had one steroid shot.  My water broke spontaneously and they tried to stop labor but the girls were not having it.  They were in the NICU for 2 weeks as feeders and growers with a little bout of jaundice.  And now to look at them, you would never know they were preemies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

congrats on your twins, and i hope they stay put a bit longer!

I had dd at 33w3d due to a sudden placental abruption. she was in the special cares nursery at out hospital for exactly 2 weeks.  she had to regulate her body temp, and also was a feeder and grower.  i think she did amazingly well there.  i will keep you and your daughters in my thoughts and prayers  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My triplets were born at 32 weeks, 2 days.

They weighed 3lb 1oz, 3lb 6oz, and 3lb 14oz. 

I had two sets of steroid shots (one at 23weeks 5 days and one set the 2 days before I delivered, so I think they take effect immediately because the doctor admitted me on a Monday with plans to deliver me that Wed).

My DD & DS were on C-PAP for one day and my other DD was breathing room air from the start.

My girls spent 21 days in the NICU and my son was there for 28 days. 

Good luck with everything.   I hope your little ones stay in for as long as possible.

• Options

Hi!

I had my GGG at 33w6d.  I had steroid shots at 32W6D. 

NONE were on ANY O2 support :)  Their NICU stay was VERY uneventful (for 2 of them).  1 had a little trouble but I had had a Grade IV placenta abruption -- so to clearly be expected.

They should hopefully do wonderfully :) 

Dee
    DS - 40W6D - Oct 2004
    DS - 41W4D - March 2007
    GGG - 33W6D - July 2008
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Hang in there!  I went into PTL with twins at 24 weeks and was on hospital bedrest until 29w6d when my babies were born. They had a 5 week NICU stay but are extremely healthy and now about 100% growth actual :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"