2nd Trimester
Options

Are there ladies here that don't have the NT scan?

Is it not standard? I know I have more U/S than a lot of people but I thought the NT was standard...

Do some ladies have to wait for their 18-20 as their first major U/S?

Re: Are there ladies here that don't have the NT scan?

• Options
    We had it, but it's optional in my practice.  The majority of patients in my practice do not opt for it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    LCB34LCB34 member

The NT scan is 100% optional and some insurances companies do not cover it.  Also, given certain factors (age, family history, etc) some OBs won't recommend it as it often gives false "positives" and worries people for no reason.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't have the NT scan, but I also wasn't offered. No big deal to me. The only risk factors I have are cleft lip/palate and they cannot be seen that early. The baby needs to be bigger to be able to detect it.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I didnt want the NT scan, its an option. I had an u/s at 9 weeks to date the pregnancy. But normally the 20 week u/s is the first one at my practice.
  • Options
    It's optional in my practice and we opted out!
  • Options
    kg_08kg_08 member
    The NT scan wasn't even offered at my hospital, I would have had to travel to another one 3 hours away. Really they wouldn't find anything at the NT scan that they wouldn't find at the 20 week anatomy scan, so we just skipped it. Partially because of insurance not covering fully, and partially because the risk of false positives wasn't something we were thrilled about.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I didn't do it, I am not at risk for anything so I decided not to, I have to wait for 19 weeks 3 days to see my LO
  • Options
    My OB only has patients over 35 do it routinely.  I *asked* to do the AFP bloodwork.  Once I left my RE I didn't get another scan until my Level II at 18w4d.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I did not get the NT scan.  I did have an ultrasound at my first doctor's appointment (9 weeks) to check the viability of the pregnancy, but that is not standard at some doctors.  I've also had an ultrasound at 16, 20, and will have one at 23 and 28 because I had a miscarriage. But, I believe that the only guaranteed ultrasound is the 20 week.  The rest are optional or based on higher risk factors.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, I was just curious. A friend of mine isnt having her first until 19 weeks. Wasn't sure if that was standard. I was being seen by an RE with a previous m/c so my case was different.
  • Options
    Oops, I should have just read below at the earlier post... sorry ladies!
  • Options
    It's optional. I chose to have it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    No NT Scan here. Dr. didn't even mention it to us.
  • Options
    I didn't have one this time or with my DD. It wasn't offered to me. I will be getting the quad screen done this weekend though. The only ultrasound I have is the anatomy scan which I'll be having at 20 weeks.
  • Options
    We were given the option with DD and this baby but we decided against it with both pregnancies.  We will have an u/s when I was 20 weeks and that's it.
  • Options
    It is optional at the practice I go to, though I did choose to have it done. They did an u/s at 12 weeks to date the pregnancy and I had the NT scan done at the same time. 
  • Options
    AKay25AKay25 member
    I had it, but it was optional. If we hadn't done it, my first u/s would be the anatomy scan at my next appt (~ 19 wks).
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Its optional at my practice and I passed on it.  I had an internal at 10 weeks and then the big one at 20 weeks.  I will probably have one more sometime in my 3rd tri to measure the baby but thats it.
  • Options
    We opted out of the those tests.
  • Options
    We opted to not have additional tests with DD and we also will go that route this time unless the doctor thinks otherwise. but thats just us
  • Options
    It was optional and mentioned by my dr's office, they said I wasn't really a high risk person.  I opted out of the NT scan, I found out afterwards that the NT scan wasn't covered by my insurance.
  • Options
    It's always optional.  It's not considered "medically necessary" by insurance companies, so it's not always covered.  We passed on it because we figured if there were any abnormalities it wouldn't change our decision to continue the pregnancy.  We had an initial ultrasound at the very first visit then 2 for 1st trimester bleeding.  
  • Options
    ditto previous comments - it's 100% optional. My first time around, my midwife never even brought it up, I called her about it. After we did it and got a false positive and went through a lot of worry for nothing, we opted not to do it at all this time around.
    imageCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

When I was first pregnant with no history of complications and an uncomplicated pg, my doctor never mentioned it and it was not thought of as standard. Because of having a Down Syndrome baby, it is now part of my standard care. Had I not experienced the loss(es) it would still not be standard at my OB office...for uncomplicated pg it's not something he offers (though if one wanted it, he might agree to it).

At my OB's practice he does an early u/s to date the pg and another one around 20 weeks. A 3rd u/s for growth around 32-34 weeks *might* happen, but might not. For someone he treats as high risk, there are many more u/s. With Harris I had 14 (one each week after 32 weeks), and I will have 13-14 with this baby, too.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

imagechefs_baby:
    I didn't have the NT scan, but I also wasn't offered. No big deal to me. The only risk factors I have are cleft lip/palate and they cannot be seen that early. The baby needs to be bigger to be able to detect it.

I know about it, but DH and I decided we weren't doing it. Worked out well because it wasn't even offered to me. 

• Options
    We had our BIG U/S at 18weeks and we opted out of the NT Scan
  • Options
    It is offered at my OB but I didn't get one. With my age and no history of genetic disorders in either family the doctor and i agreed it was not worth it.
  • Options
    We opted out. We just waited until the anatomy scan.
    image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagemrs.g_6708:
    We opted out. We just waited until the anatomy scan.

This.

• Options
    It is offered, but we opted out
  • Options
    kjg5445kjg5445 member
    i had the option but opted out of it because it would have been an out of pocket expense ($1200) so my first and only u/s was at 18 weeks.

• Options
    i had one done the first time around, but not this time.
  • Options
    kcox123kcox123 member

It's optional for my practice unless your over 35 years old...or have some other factor that makes you more at risk.

So I passed on it (haven't had it with either of other two babies either). I sort of wanted to do it just for the U/S but that seemed silly...

So yes, I had one u/s at 7/8 wks to date the pregnancy and then had to wait till my big u/s. I probably won't get another one the entire pregnancy either. It's just fine.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    We have only our 20 week ultrasound. Out Dr. said that with her healthy Moms, she doesn't require the NT scan, but will allow them to choose whether or not they want it. We decided "NO".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker BFP 04/15/2011; M/C 04/21/2011 Sleep with Jesus sweet baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"