Special Needs
Options

Leaving baby overnight...

Next week is DH and I's anniversary. We are going camping (no cell reception) and my parents are taking Drew. I feel insanely confident in their ability to take care of kids (I turned out fine, haha), but I am starting to feel wishy washy about leaving Drew with them (my first time ever leaving him!). I have showed my parents how to work all his machines/monitors/etc. I have packed extra medical supplies, the stethoscope, etc. I am debating if I should teach them how to place the NG tube (he has started pulling it out every chance he gets) or just telling them to take him to the doctor to get it re-inserted.

We aren't going to back out of the trip, but how can I keep from going nuts and just relax? Any suggestions?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Leaving baby overnight...

• Options

I'm guessing they've watched him before now? (Not overnight). If not, I'd want them to do an afternoon taking care of him. 

Just out curiousity do you have an "emergency manual" they can refer to with instructions written out for working the monitors/machines? When we were told how to do everything, it made sense, but we got home (without being given a chance to do it ourselves) and everything that made sense before got overwhelming. . . . I've been wanting to do an emergency manual of some sorts with medicines, tube operation, etc written out, but haven't gotten around to it yet. 

If they don't live nearby and haven't "done" everything before, can you leave the number of a babysitter, friend, nursing company, etc. who could give them answers since you won't be able to?

Have fun on your trip!!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMummyGruetzie:

I'm guessing they've watched him before now? (Not overnight). If not, I'd want them to do an afternoon taking care of him. 

Just out curiousity do you have an "emergency manual" they can refer to with instructions written out for working the monitors/machines? When we were told how to do everything, it made sense, but we got home (without being given a chance to do it ourselves) and everything that made sense before got overwhelming. . . . I've been wanting to do an emergency manual of some sorts with medicines, tube operation, etc written out, but haven't gotten around to it yet. 

If they don't live nearby and haven't "done" everything before, can you leave the number of a babysitter, friend, nursing company, etc. who could give them answers since you won't be able to?

Have fun on your trip!!! 

Yes, they are close by so they have watched him before (an hour here and there, and two overnights while I was actually in the house). We do have a book, our hospital recommended  start one immediately. Its to be kept by the door for quick and easy access by medical personnel, etc.

Good idea to leave them the name of our nursing company. We did have a home nurse for the first two weeks home, and they gave us their number for future questions, and our insurance also has a 24hr nursing hotline. My  older sister just texted me as well (she saw my post haha) and suggested I have our Mom call her MIL in case of anything happening (she is 30min away and a medical professional) because she can reinsert the tube/etc.

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, also, we have a hard copy of all his medical records/films/etc in case they go to their local hospital (he is treated at Johns Hopkins)
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"