1st Trimester

Metamucil or Benefiber

Is there anyone that could share their experiences with these? I had my ultrasound yesterday and my OB wanted to look at my ovaries but was unable to because my bowels were blocking them. I'm trying to take care of that and have been regularly taking colace and even milk of magnesia, but I don't think I can continue taking the milk of magnesia again without getting sick. The thought of it makes me dry heave.

I'm loading up on other fiber-rich foods and drinking hot water with lemon, but I'd like to find out more about something else in addition like the metamucil or benefiber.

Does it taste bad, or have a noticable texture? And most importantly, did it work for you? :)

Re: Metamucil or Benefiber

• I love benefiber!! I have the tasteless kind and it dissolves completely. I put it in water and can't taste it. We also cook with it, like in sphagetti sauce, soup, etc... It doesn't make me bloated or crampy. I highly recommend it.
  • hjk5000hjk5000 member
    I like metemucil, call me an old lady.  Benefiber is supposedly "tasteless" but it has the nastiest texture and I just can't do it.
    PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Psyllium caplets! It's the same stuff in metamucil but in pill form. Works amazing!!!! That & 2 colace, i go every day. Good luck!!
  • s+d2007s+d2007 member

imageJuneNC2008:
    I love benefiber!! I have the tasteless kind and it dissolves completely. I put it in water and can't taste it. We also cook with it, like in sphagetti sauce, soup, etc... It doesn't make me bloated or crampy. I highly recommend it.

This!  I love it!  It works just quick enough.  I don't notice a texture.  I mix it in my juice and I'm good to go.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • if you use metamucil, put it in some OJ rather than water - it will help hide the texture and taste. bonus fiber if you drink the OJ with pulp. 

i haven't really had issues with going to the bathroom, but if it's been more than a day or 2, I throw a tsp of metamucil in 8oz OJ sometime after dinner. I'm normally fine by lunch the next day. I've only had to do this 3 or 4 times.  

• Thank you ladies!
  • Metamucil is good, but flax seeds REALLY do the trick. Just sprinkle a TBSP of them on a salad.

If you're really backed up, you might need a laxative. Not sure if they are safe during pregnancy though. Sometimes adding fiber when you're already backed up makes things worse. Fiber is great for keeping you regular once you get relief.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"