Postpartum Depression
Options

Had to stop my anti-anxiety meds :(

The side effects were too much. It was working and I could tell that but then I also went from just a little bit nauseas to vomiting for 4-5 hours after each dose (morning and night) once I hit the high dosage level. 

Why would my psychiatrist want to stop the anti-anxiety meds completely and not switch to another medicine in the same category or stick to a lower dosage? Would they all have the same effect on me? I know she was going to look into a possible drug interaction with an antibiotic I'm on but that finishes in 2 days so I could give the BuSpar a try then. SHe's also out of town at a conference this week and just got a message from the clinic about me. I didn't get a chance to ask because I was driving on the road when she called and had no where to pull over because of a long construction site.  

Re: Had to stop my anti-anxiety meds :(

• Options

Are you on anything else like an SSRI? They take longer to work but are pretty effective for anxiety.

Definitely talk to your doc--you should have more options than simply stopping the meds.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am also on Pristiq which is an SNRI. I haven't read anything yet about Pristiq helping anxiety in the long term. The SSRIs yes, but not SNRIs. I am supposed to return to the clinic next week to meet an new counselor. I suppose my appointment can be changed to the psychiatrist though. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not sure what meds you took but Lexapro worked wonders for me!  I was on 10 mg for about 4 months then down to 5 mg for another 3.  If you are taking antibiotics with your meds it maybe affecting your stomach which in turn is making you nauseous.

See if your Dr. will give you a few xanax until you are donw tih your antibiotic, give your body a break for a few days and then try the buspar.

GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"