The Bump Baby Registry
Now is the perfect time to start your Baby Registry!START A REGISTRY
Did you ladies find this schedule online? How did you decide what you wanted to give when?
Also, did you opt. out of any of the vaccines they give @ the hospital?
Re: Leanna or any delayed vacc. schedule Mommies....
i opted out of the hep b at the hospital and did it at her 1 week appt.
as for everything else, i did it per the AAP practices.
I'm not on a delayed schedule but I did opt out of the hep b at the hospital. With DD1 I just didn't like the idea b/c she was so small and I didn't think she needed it that early. With DD2 I did it again but with better reason. Her pedi told us that there's been studies that if you give the hep b when they're born they sometimes don't develop full immunity. It's better to give it at the 2 month appointment, which is what I did.
Also, I had them split the MMR for DD1, didn't want her getting it all at once. If it's available I'll do it for DD2 as well.
I also opted out of the hepb at the hospital, that's the only one that she would have gotten there.
I read Dr Sears Vaccine Book and got a lot of helpful information, but I went with an open mind to my pedi and spoke with her honestly and that's how I came up with the actual schedule. She gave me her opinions on what she felt was most necessary right away and why. I don't have Alexis' baby book near me, but I'll look it up tomorrow and let you know the schedule I used. I didn't delay anything too long, it was more of a spacing thing. The only one that I put off was the chicken pox which she got at her 2 yr appt and I've never given her a flu shot of any kind.
I also highly recommend Dr. Sears' The Vaccine Book! He provides a lot of information and it is meant to present you with options, rather than to sway you one way or another. It is then up to you, as the parent, to decide what you feel is best for your child. Also, check out his website https://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/.
We followed his alternative vaccine schedule for Quinn and eliminated one or two vaccines completely (polio and one other but I can't remember). Most vaccines we just spaced out and delayed so he only received 2 at a time, and only one of those would be a "live" vaccine. To date, he is pretty much caught up but we haven't given chicken pox, hep B, or MMR yet. He will be getting the chicken pox vaccine next month before the baby is born to protect both of them since they will be in daycare. You are no longer able to split the MMR vaccine so we've opted to hold off until Quinn is at least 3 years old.
The most important thing is to educate yourself and find a doctor that you feel comfortable with and that supports your decisions, whatever they happen to be. Quinn's pediatricians have been amazing. His main dr is from Germany where their children receive approx. half of the vaccines that ours in the U.S. do. Needless to say, we've had very frank and open discussions about everything.
ditto Allison That's basically what we have done.
We've used Dr Sear's alternative schedule to spread the vaccinations so he's not getting so many at one time.
We also are skipping the polio, chicken pox, hep B, and MMR for now.
If you wish to skip the Hep B shot at the hospital make sure the nurses know your wishes and do not let the baby go to the nursery alone. I'm not saying they would purposefully vaccinate your child against your wishes. It's just that they might do it because it's their routine. You'll have to sign a paper saying you'll follow up later with the baby's pedi.
You'll also probably be offered a booster MMR for yourself. You can also decline or accept it. You can weigh this out if you are likely to be exposed to other children (if you are a teacher for example) or if your child will be at risk for catching it.
The vac is offered is for several reasons... Many people get the MMR as a child and the immunity wears off. Your child can not get the MMR until at least one year of age. If you have immunity it will offer the baby some protection, you won't bring it home so to speak. Also if your child brings it home while you are pregnant again with your next baby, your unborn baby is at risk for serious birth defects from Rubella.
I got my MMR booster before TTC so I declined it at the hospital.
Being a teacher I'm exposed to a lot of germs on a daily basis. I do not know the history of my students vaccination schedule nor do I know what they have been exposed to. I really like the idea of a delayed vaccination schedule but I've spoken with my pedi and we both agree that we like keeping her on the AAP schedule for a number of reasons - mainly including the fact that I'm a teacher and come in contact with a lot of germs.
I also read The Vaccine Book and found it to be really informative. The schedule I used was based on my own views on spacing, if I thought he had a cold I didn't want him having shots while sick, and depending on some other stuff.
We got HepB at 2 months instead of at the Hospital.
We delayed some of his 4 month shots because there was a chance he had an ear infection. We spaced the 4 and 6 month shots out between the next few appointments.
I delayed his 12 month Chicken Pox shot because I didn't want him having the shot during flu season. However, since we are going to be starting him in preschool this summer we just got the shot at 18 months.
We are delaying MMR until he is 2 years old, and if possible we will be splitting up the vaccinations rather in one go. I need to speak with my pedi about this though and find out if they have it available.
My Blog: SIREN.ORG!