Adoption

Ready for Adoption #2??

Hello all!!  I have no idea if anyone I ever used to chat with is still on this board, but my goodness, I've missed posting here!  I didn't realize how much until I was reading all the posts below. 

So, our Lily is THREE years old, which just blows my mind, and we're thinking about adopting a second baby...and that brings me back here to the place I got the best support the first time around:)  I have to admit that I had a rough time of it when Lil was a newborn.  I wasn't ready for the grief I felt for her birth mom and for the loss I felt when she decided not to have contact with us.  I still write to her and send updates, but we've never heard back.  There's definitely a part of me that is hesitant about going through all of it again, but I'm also really excited.  So, those of you who have done this more than once or who are considering it - how did you know you were ready?  I guess I just need a little pep talk! :)
I can't wait to catch up with all of you and to meet everyone else!!

Karalee

"Our children are not ours because they share our genes... they are ours because we have had the audacity to envision them. That, at the end of the day...or long sleepless night, is how love really works." Adoption Consultant Blog
Personal Adoption Blog

Re: Ready for Adoption #2??

• I can't believe Lily is THREE!  Where does the time go??  She is seriously cuter than ever!

GL with #2 -- we're here for you whenever.  It's so hard when we have an idea of what we want our adoption to look like and it doesn't end up looking that way.  I am so thankful for our relationship with our birthmom, but wish that some aspects were different.  :(

I'm so glad you're going to be around more often!

• Oh my goodness, look at your sweet girl!  She is beautiful!  The time just FLIES, doesn't it?

I'm so glad to be back and so anxious to catch up with everyone! :)

"Our children are not ours because they share our genes... they are ours because we have had the audacity to envision them. That, at the end of the day...or long sleepless night, is how love really works." Adoption Consultant Blog
    Personal Adoption Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome back, Karalee!  So good to see you!

Who knows, we're still working on #1.  We hope to travel to meet him and bring him home in a few weeks!  It's not at all what we expected, either...he's 7 years old!  I gave up picturing what the rest of our family will look like down the road.  ;-)

• Thank you! :)  Great to see you, too!  And awesome to hear about your little (or not so little) guy! :)  It's amazing how different our families may look than what we pictured, but it ends up being SO much better than we could've imagined!  Glad to have an update!
    Personal Adoption Blog
  • I think I understand some of how you feel.  We are nearing the one year mark of our placement.  L was 6 months old at that time and we are definitely thinking about a sibling for him, but at the same time I know that I am not yet ready to step into the process again.  And then again I have days where it seems like the process hasn't really ended, so why not launch in again before we get comfortable...haha...I'm not much help am I?  What I always come back to is that no two children or situations will be the same and as such I can take what I learned with L but also know that the second time would be its own adventure and as such, when I feel as sure about becoming a mommy again as I did about becoming a mommy the first time, I'm jump in with both feet but until then I'll keep savoring the moments we have today.
  • OMG, she's gorgeous!

I keep flip-flopping in my mind about adopting again. I know it's early (DD will be 3 months next week), but I think about it a lot. On the one hand, we had such a great first experience I would love to do it again, but on the other hand, we may end up with a nightmare baby (not that we couldn't handle colic/AR/etc) and/or a less-than-ideal situation with the birthfamily.

So we're definitely not ready.

• Thank you! :)  This is the first I'm seeing your DD, Dr. L!! :)  Congrats to you guys!!

Honestly, there's a part of me that is not even close to ready, but there's another that really is.  The pressure from outside sources (family and friends) for a sib for Lily started SO early and I hear comments all the time about not wanting her to be an only child, but honestly, I have so enjoyed the three years of her life just having her to myself.  I waited for so long to have her that I didn't really want to spend her first few years in the process again, you know?  I wanted to enjoy every second (well, almost every:) with her and not be thinking about what was coming next.  Now, though, I am conflicted because of how important my siblings are to me - I want her to have that, but man I love sleeping through the night:)  I guess the conflict is normal, and I love what was said about waiting until you're ready to jump completely in...so maybe I'll give it a little more time and tell everyone to take their comments elsewhere! 

Personal Adoption Blog
  • yippeee!!!!! I can't believe she is 3 either!!!! :) Congrats on embarking on this road again....
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Hi Karalee!!!

You are funny, my dear. If you were anyone else, I would tell them to call YOU Big Smile I honestly don't know how on earth I would have made it through our adoption without you. I have no idea how people afford a second adoption but I think you should start applying for some grants and pray, pray, pray.

I'll be thinking about you!

~Josie

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Moved to Domestic Adoption 9/09 Matched 10/09 Sweet little Luke was born 12/9/09!
  • Hi Karalee! So glad to see you back. You were such a reassuring voice when we were going through H's adoption and I'm forever grateful for that.

To answer your question, I'm still waiting to be ready and we have 15 days to go. I'm terrified. Although this adoption was very different since we already knew the BP's, agency, process, location, it was just as emotionally draining and difficult for us. Just in different ways.

I honestly didn't think I would have the strength to do it again, but I've discovered that you gain the strength and resources you need just at the right time. (At least that's how it worked for us)

We had no intentions of adopting again, but when the situation presented itself we ultimately couldn't say no. We got a lot of pressure from friends to adopt this little girl. However, despite that pressure, though, none of those people will be there changing diapers, paying for college or just plain parenting. We knew it had to be the decision WE wanted - not H, not our family, not the agency. (H was a big consideration, though!)

Good luck and welcome back! 

• My girls!!! :)  Rach and PSU, I'm so glad to see you again and JOSIE!!!  I didn't even realize that you were a bump girl:)  Love it and love that we can chat this way, too.   You are so sweet about working with me; believe me, the pleasure was all mine.  It's funny because I do have all the tools at my fingertips, it's more of an emotional hesitation that I'm feeling.  I need to pray, pray, pray, you're right! :)

SO glad to catch up with you girls!

Personal Adoption Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"