Preemies

Any advice on how to prepare for a preemie?

My 2 older kids were born at term, so I have no experience with preemies and I'm feeling really overwhelmed.

Baby has a large placental cyst right next to her umbilical cord which is sometimes pressing against the cord.  It was found at my 20 week u/s, I'm now having weekly u/s to check on the cord and her growth.  So far she is doing great, today she measured 3 lb 4 oz.  My high risk OB has told me that at the first sign of distress I will be admitted, given steriod shots and she'll be delivered.  If she continues to do well he'll take her at 34 weeks.

I feel so sad and overwhelmed right now and I just don't know what I can do to prepare.  I can't imagine having baby in the NICU and 2 other kids at home.  Any advice would be very appreciated.  Also my dr said if they take her at 34 weeks they wouldn't necessarily do the steriod shots, is that normal?

Thanks ladies

DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010

Re: Any advice on how to prepare for a preemie?

• i'm so sorry you have to go through this! my preemie is my first child, so i can't even imagine having this experience with 2 other little ones at home!

the only advice i can give you is to ask the dr for the steroid shots sooner than later. they really make a difference. by the time i was admitted (bleeding from a previa), i didn't have time and DS didn't get the full benefit of the shots. while he's fine now, i wish i would have gotten them earlier.

good luck and keep us updated! here's to at least another 6 weeks!

• I dont think there is realy anyway to prepare for a premie.  Whether you have time to get used to the idea or not.  I had my son at 34 weeks because I developed HELLP Syndrome.  They said the steroid shots werent necesary because the lungs are already developed at 34 weeks so its normal not to need them.  While my son was in the NICU there was a little boy in the area right across from me who was born much earlier and I talked to his mom and dad and met some of his brothers and sister's he was the eighth child.  They had quite a scheduale. 

But on the bright side I want to let you know that my son only spent 2 weeks in the NICU.  The only cocerns they had for him was that he ate and gained weight.  Although they did worry because on occasion he would forget to breath or try to breath while eating and then turned blue (he did this once while I was feeding him and it scared me).  The NICU my son was in orders all premies to go home on an apnea monitor as a precaution.  Premies are at a higher risk for SIDS and the risk last longer, but that monitor is a blessing and such a comfort, trust me.  I remeber thinking how unbelievably tiny my baby boy was (he was 18 inches and 4lbs 8 oz at birth).  I was so afraid to hold him the first time. 

You will worry that your not spending enough time in the NICU with him.  I lived a half hour away from the hospital and wasnt allowed to drive because of my c-section and it sucked!  But I was in the hospital a week myself so I feel I got to see him a lot then.  Even if I did have nurses forbidding me to go down because I was still recovering from HELLP.  But if you cant be in the NICU every minute you possibly want to be because you have to be home with your other children you absolutly have the right to call the NICU and check in on your baby whenever and however often you want.  They will let you speak to your child's Nurse at the time and they will fill you in on what they ate, how they're doing, and will help you through the situation.

But most of all you will find the ladies on this board is soo supportive and willing to talk through any worries you will ever have!  Good luck.

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry you have this added stress right now! I guess one thing would be to emotionally prepare yourself and your other children for the possibility of the baby not coming home right away (and,depending on your nicu rules, they may not allow children to visit the baby). If people ask what they can do to help, gas cards and restaurant girft cards will make things easier for your family. Another thing you don't want to worry about is house/lawn care this summer. Maybe a close friend or family member can get those taken care of for you when the baby arrives for a few weeks. Also, you can go ahead and start planning some type of childcare for the times you visit the hospital. Some daycares allow for drop-ins and might have a lower rate for nicu parents (it can't hurt to ask).

Take care of yourself, momma! Good luck in keeping that baby cooking 6 more weeks!

• i'm sorry you'll be joining us... but this board is awesome for questions/vents/encouragement or whatever is going on.

if the babies lungs are fully developed they don't do the steroid shots. (they can tell that from an amnio if you have one at that time...)  it's totally normal in stories that i've heard... (my dd was born at 27w with IUGR so she had them. :) steroids are a tad risky in themselves, but in the case that the lungs are underdeveloped the benefits outweigh the risks.

i would recommend talking to the neo about what to expect week to week if the baby were to come... it changes so much based on gestational age. some friends just had twins at 35 weeks, one went home immediately, the other spent a few hours on the vent, a few hours on the cpap, a day on cannula, and was home in 5 days... it varies so much based on age and the babies' size/development etc.

also, taking a tour of the nicu as the time gets closer could be good.. preparing yourself for what you can expect to see before you actually have to deal with it can be really helpful.

the book the essential guide to preemies is really good as well. remember to only read the parts that would apply to your lo.

try to arrange a support system (or have family do it for you) of people to help with the kids so you can both visit at the same time, prepare meals or freeze meals for you..etc.

it's awesome that sh'es already over 3lbs... and that you've made it this far... it is a rollercoaster ride though. you're doing everything you can by keeping that baby in you as long as possible- taking care of yourself and relaxing now as much as you can... preparing yourself mentally... you're a great mama! hang in there and be sure to keep us posted! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"