D.C. Area Babies

Anchovies

My MIL was watching the baby and told me she made a rice, anchovy and onion soup for her, so far she has only eaten cereal and a few stage one veggies and breast milk.  I am not sure she can eat anchovies and onion at 8 months old, any thoughts?

Re: Anchovies

• LMH1209LMH1209 member

I think most recommendations start both fish and onions a little later (fish because of potential allergens with some kinds and onions because they can be kind of hard to digest), but none of the recommendations on when to introduce what are hard and fast rules once you've started solids.  I'd probably generally avoid foods like anchovies for babies, though, because of the sodium.  Also, we were pretty careful about just introducing one new food every three to four days so we could identify any allergic reactions.  We wouldn't have done two new foods at once like that.  I'd just keep an eye out for any allergic reaction and probably expect some gassiness from the onions.

In any case, I'd be pretty unhappy with my MIL if she had gone against my instructions about feeding my baby.  What did you tell her about what your daughter could eat?  Did you tell that your DD had only had a few foods and should be fed only those foods, or did you just let your MIL decide what to feed her?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• personally, I'd be POed if anyone other me or DH introduced a new food to my child w/out checking w/ me 1st. But that's another post...

if your baby does not seem to have any adverse reaction, then it's fine but I too would hold off on anything with such high sodium content as anchovies and fish in general. At 8mo old, if she's still on stage 1 foods, you should be introducing one food at a time. check out wholesomebabyfoods.com for guidance and tell your MIL to only give your LO food you approve

• Loading the player...
  • We definitely introduced both onions and fish before 1 year.  DD had no allergy problems and after a while she just ate whatever we ate which included onions and fish.  Anchovies as PP said can be high in sodium but I know our baby book has mild white fish as an option when introducing meat which I believe we did around 8 months.. 
  • Thanks Ladies! I had issues about the baby with my MIL, I have told my own mother that she cannot give her anything that I do not approve when she was watching the baby, I feel it is my husband job to do the same with her mom, obviously he does not say anything, so I will have to tell her.  She already does not like me so this will be another reason to her list.
  • best to set boundaries now so she can get used to them before the kid(s) are older
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"