Babies: 9 - 12 Months

how long for tylenol to break a fever

m was feeling really hot so i took her temperature.

underarm=99.6

rectal=101.5

is this considered really high or is it a low grade fever? i gave her tylenol just in case. how long til that kicks in? she's been acting fine. should i wake her soon to take her temperature again?

Re: how long for tylenol to break a fever

• That would be low-grade, and give the tylenol about 30 minutes to kick in fully. If that doesn't take care of it you can stagger tylenol and ibuprofen every three hours until the fever breaks.
  • 101.5 is a low grade fever. Pedis don't consider it a real fever until it hits 101.4 so you are really close. Tylenol takes 45mins to kick in where as Motrin kicks in much sooner. I wouldn't wake her to take her temp. Just feel her. If she feels warm then don't worry as long as she's comfy and sleeping. If she's burning hot then I would give her Motrin and take her temp. Motrin because it works faster.

There are three grades of fevers. Warm, hot, and OMG do we rush to the ER? My pedi told me this with our first son. It has really helped us over the years.

Also, and I only just learned this a few months ago, Tylenol and Motrin help to reduce a fever. They don't eliminate a fever. Don't worry if your little one's fever doesn't go away completely. 

• Loading the player...
  • LO had a fever of 101.6 about a month ago and i gave her tylenol for it. it lasted a couple days but she seemed totally FINE! then it went away...strange.  i would just let her sleep and if she wakes up really fussy check her out again and go from there
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • According to my pedi, there is no such thing as a "low grade fever". Fever is anything over 100.4. What is high really kind of depends on the age of the child, and the child herself. I have friends who have kids that regularly go to 104 or 105. (They are older, though).

I find that motrin makes fevers go down more quickly. 

Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"