St. Louis Babies

Doula reviews

Hello there,

My husband and I are attempting the Bradley Method for the delivery.  We are interested in obtaining the services of a doula or doula-in-training to do backup support.  Does anyone have any experiences with anyone?

Thanks!

Re: Doula reviews

• There are several place you can check for doulas

www.DoulasOfGreaterStLouis.com

www.DoulaMatch.net

Also, you are more than welcome to contact me through my website, www.StLouisDoula.net. I have dozens of references that would be more than happy to speak with you.

Not all doulas are created equal, so make sure you interview several, even with recommendations from friends and  ask plenty of questions.

here's some sample questions you should be asking:

https://www.dona.org/mothers/how_to_hire_a_doula.php 

• Loading the player...
  • I would steer you away from Sandra Hutson. She did help me with pain management at my house, but it went downhill from there as far as her meeting my expectations (which we had clearly discussed beforehand.) She said it was time to go to the hospital when I was only 4 cm (I later learned this is way too early since I was having NO complications), then suggested that I have my water broken, then suggested I get an epidural. I know labor dynamics vary and maybe she felt she had good reasons to suggest these but I have given others as many details as possible and they would not have made all these suggestsions. We paid her to be an advocate and help me to realize I did NOT need the exact things she suggested.
  • I had a wonderful bradley birth a week ago and we used Jessica Henman as our doula. She was amazing, it was the best decision we ever made to have her as our doula. She is not in training, she is actually a midwife, so she has a fee, but she was worth every penny and then some.

We were also originally looking into a doula in training, but when Jessica offered her services as a doula we jumped at the chance. She helped with labor at our home, then again at the hospital. My husband was a great coach, but it helped SO much to have her at the hospital because things went fast and she walked us through every step.

Here is her email:jessica@mybirthandwellness.com, 314-369-8637

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"