Preemies
Options

Moms of older preemies (12 months+)

I have to questions for you:

1) When did your LO start to talk?

2)What do you feed your LO on a typical day?

Angelina has yet to start talking. She does babble, but no words. We live with my parents and we are Jewish/Italian/Colombian, so everyone is constantly talking. I was just wondering if i should be concerned. Also, I have no idea how much I should be feeding her. The milk post got me thinking and I just want to compare notes :)

TIA, ladies!

Re: Moms of older preemies (12 months+)

• Options

he will be 2 in 14 days and still doesn't speak any words. He babbles but he just started doing that within the past 2 months. 

Somedays he eats really well like today he ate a waffle for breakfast and lasagna for dinner. Most days I am lucky if he will eat the waffle and sometimes I can get a couple bites of chicken in his mouth but thats rare.  

• Options

Brandon will be 2 in July and still isn't really talking. He says a few words on occassion but then won't say them again. He has been getting speech through early intervention since he was 16 months actual, 13 months adjusted. He babbles constantly and understands everything.

Brandon also has good eating days and bad eating days. These are what he tends to eat.

Breakfast- pancake, french toast sticks, waffle, oatmeal

Lunch and Dinner- yogurt, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, turkey hot dog, pizza, mac and cheese, grilled cheese

He also has a fruit with each meal (he won't eat vegetables since starting table food).

Conceived twins with IVF January 2008. Lost baby a at 20 1/2 weeks due to premature rupture of membranes and held onto baby b. Baby b (Brandon) born at 26 weeks and 1 day on July 5, 2008. Wesley born full term on June 29, 2011. My blog http://karenandstu.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ijackijack member
    At 18 months she had a couple words, and then she had a speech explosion right before 2. Is she more focused on moving? Either way I don't think it's a huge concern :)here is a post I wrote on my blog about nutrition, https://chunkymonkeymenus.blogspot.com/search/label/nutritionI also have lots of food ideas there.
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Options

They are both 15 months and don't talk yet.  They will say "mama" and "dada" but I still consider it babbling.  They also both say "woo woo" for all vehicles, making a kissing sound for cats, a /k/ sound for birds/ducks, and use lots of gestures.  Joey also signs for "more."  I am a SLP and am not really concerned about our boys yet.  1-3 words is typical for a 12 month old.  If she is babbling and seems to be understanding you I wouldn't be too concerned.

We have been feeding them all table food since 12 months.  They eat things like pancakes, scrambled eggs, french toast sticks, oatmeal with raisins, toast with cream cheese and jelly plus fruit for breakfast.  Lunch is things like tuna fish sandwiches, mac n cheese, any kind of pasta & sauce, chicken soup (strained so it's finger food), grilled cheese, hard boiled eggs, veggies, or fruit.  Dinner is alot of the same but also hot dogs, chicken nuggets, or whatever we had for dinner the night before.  They also get 2 snacks of fruit and cheese, cereal bars, yogurt tubes, etc. 

• Options
    AidgeAidge member

Sam has been saying words since about 18 mo... since then, his language has exploded. That being said, he didn't walk until 18 mo... and our OT says they usually focus on one more than the other.  I have friends whose kids had zero words at 2 and then a huge vocab by 3. Even though she may not be saying words, her receptive skills are probably great.  

As far as eating goes, it is a daily struggle.  He does love to eat, but only if it's mac n cheese, waffles, crackers, oatmeal, bananas, apples, or bagels... he won't try anything else- refuses.   

• Options

My DD (former 26 weeker) didn't really start to talk until she was 2 1/2 years old.  Now she's almost 4 and I can't shut her up.  Don't worry....the language will come.  All of a sudden you'll see a language explosion.

As for food at 12 months we had her eating from the table with us. My DD did have a full month of teeth so I just made sure I cut things up small enough for her to eat. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

My two are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum (born at 26w, 6d). Marshall has been talking for awhile, probably started between 12-15m. Right now the kid is saying sentences and doesn't stop talking. 

Cecilia didn't really say her first real word until 18 months and still doesn't talk much at over 2 yrs. old. She loves doing animal sounds and just recently started stringing 2 words together and most of the time we have to prompt her.

The pedi isn't concerned at all.

At about 1 yr old mine were starting to eat "normal" people food. Mostly finger foods like spiral pasta or cut up string cheese, yogurt, cheerios, cut up toast and butter, sweet potatoes, etc. They would somtimes still eat a few purees. For added calories I'd add butter or olive, flaxseed or canola oil.

• Options

Georgia has a lot to say but mainly babbles.  She does say 'mama', 'dada', 'love' & a few other words on a consistent basis but that's as far as real words go with her.  she has said her name a few times recently.

As for eating, some days are a struggle.  she loves waffles, homemade cinnamon pancakes, yogurt, scrambled eggs, chicken, black beans, toast w cc, hummus, homemade guacamole and sweet potatoes.  she also enjoys whole grain puffs, organic pears, apples, strawberries and watermelon.  oh and she loves her prunes... lol!  she drinks organic whole milk and has about 15 ounces a day.

it's all depends on the day with her.  i believe the speech will come and when it does, she probably won't quit!    :)

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

i swear, it completely depends on the kid. ryan was 7 weeks early and had about 30 words at his 15 month appointment. i can't even count how many he has now. and he eats more than i do (seriously) on any given day.

my nephews were both full term and they are terrible eaters and both needed speech therapy (they're 3 & 6 now).

my other nephew (born FT the day before ryan's due date) eats a ton, is super small for his age, and says a bunch of words.

if i've learned anything over the last 17 months, it's that you can't expect anything with this kids! Smile

• Options

My Ds is 21 months and at 12 months he was only saying mama dada and maybe 2 or 3 other words..Now it is down, oh jeez,oh boy, Dad, whats that,eye,drink, juice..But it seems like every day there is a new word.

Food is another story

Breakfast---Biscuit,pancakes, french toast,cereal

Lunch chicken nuggets, fries, yogurt, dry cereal,hot dogs(sometimes)

Dinner applesauce, dry cereal, chex, sometimes hamburger meat. Bread

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"