Philadelphia Babies

birthing classes?

does anyone have any suggestions for where i can sign up for a birthing class? I wanted to go somewhere more private that focuses on a natural birth but I don't really know where to get started looking. Any ideas would be great!

is anyone else taking any birthing classes in the area?

Re: birthing classes?

• Hi--I am taking one through Abington Hospital because that's where I will deliver.  The cost is $100 but I get a $50 credit through insurance. 
  • I'm taking a birthing class through my hospital. They have various options.

I would also google Bradley Method or Hypnobabies, two methods my friends had used, though not locally. 

• Loading the player...
  • Hello I just went to my birthing class yesterday and loved it.  My doctors office recommended it and it was taylored to Bryn Mawr Hospital (where I will be delivering) with a tour of the hospital afterwards.  There were a few people who are delivering at Paoli that were also in the class.  The nurse was great and very well educated and is in the process of studying to be a doula.  The class was not taylored specifically to people who want to try a natural birth, but everyone said that they wanted to try natural, but were not opposed to med's if they need them.  She went over both options with us and showed two seperate births, one with an epidural and one natural.  She had an epidural for one of her kids and went natural for another one.  She said that if she were to have a third child, she is not sure which way she would go, but it would probably be a decision she made while in labor.  I felt the open mind approach is great for me.  She also went over labor coping techniques and what items you should have to prepare yourself.  She was full of every statistic you could ever want to know.  I wasn't sure about the class to begin with, but she made it enjoyable and it proved to be very educational.  Even my husband enjoyed himself.  I went to "We're Having a Baby" and they offer child birth classes and a breast feeding class (610-995-0185).  They have a two day option on Saturday and Sunday from 8:30am-11:30am or a one day option of 8:30am-2:30pm.  It is $125/couple and the breast feeding class is on Thursday evenings from 6pm-8pm for $40.   

I hope you find what you are looking for.  Good luck!

Irish Mama Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ok - here is maybe more what you are looking for, since the suggestions so far are all hospital based and not preparation for natural birth nor private: 

https://www.delcodoula.com/local-resources.html

I am a doula and on my website, I've compiled lists of local resources relating to natural birth prep, breastfeeding, and others...

I can vouch for everyone of them on there because I've sent clients or friends to them or been with them myself personally.  

Good for you for looking into this, it can be the thing that matters most for your birth.  This AND hiring a doula :) Best wishes!

If you want to talk more about any of it, contact me through my website...I'd be happy to help.

Lori ~ mom to 2 boys, wife, doula, and childbirth educator - www.delcodoula.com
  • Nurture in Ardmore is starting to have a one day Saturday Childbirth Education class.  It is being taught by doulas.

https://shopnurture.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=457 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"