Health & Exercise

How far into your pregnancy did you run - and how much effort?

Runners - how far along in pregnancy did you keep running?  How often and at what pace?  

I keep hearing from my doc that as long as I feel OK, it's OK but what does that really mean?  I feel great during the run but I'm sore in the pelvic area the next day.

Pre-pregnancy, I ran about 30 miles a week around 8 minute pace or less and considered myself a serious running.  At 26 weeks, I'm doing 3 days a week now between 9-10 minute pace, a lot on trails, sometimes steep and rocky because I live in the foothills outside Denver.  I also lift and ride my bike trainer on non running days.  My husband is starting to get worried that I'm doing too much.  I know each woman is different but...

Any runners feeling similarly conflicted about how much, how far, how fast?

Re: How far into your pregnancy did you run - and how much effort?

• I ran a similar pace and schedule to you pre-pregnancy.    I ran the same (non-modified) until about 20 weeks.   Then from 20-28 weeks ran about a 9:30 minute mile pace, for only about 15-20 miles a week. 

Then at 29 weeks, had to start intervals as I peed myself (yes gross).   From then until now (I turn 33 weeks tomorrow) I have been running at a 9:30 to now around a 10 minute mile pace for about 9 minutes, then walking fast for 5.  I do 3 sets of the running, so I run for 27 minutes and walk for 15.  I do this interval set 2 or 3 days a week.   I still lift/work out 2 other times per week.

I plan on doing this until I can't (or maybe until delivery if I am lucky enough).

As long as your body was doing it before and your doctor okes... it is fine to exercise and what you describe above is not out of the norm or too intense in my opinion.    You have modified yourself and as your body changes, you might have to again.

• To quote PP:

As long as your body was doing it before and your doctor oks... it is fine to exercise and what you describe above is not out of the norm or too intense in my opinion.    You have modified yourself and as your body changes, you might have to again.

You might want to get a HR monitor and use that and RPE to judge how fast (and maybe how steep) you want to be going. The main thing is not to go into an anaerobic training zone. For me this meant keeping my HR typically below 160-165. 

I would simply be careful on trails...I usually trail run once a week but stopped once I really started showing at about 25 weeks for fear of pulling a Superman and falling flat on my face (or my belly.) 

I ran 12-18 miles per week PP at about a 9 - 9:15 min mile pace, plus did bootcamp 3x per week and rode my bike 20-40 miles per week. 

Once pregnant, I did bootcamp through about week 28...then stopped because it was getting too cold outside for me. I continued doing moderate lifting and the elliptical or arc trainer until about 37-38 weeks.

I rode my bike outside through the beginning of the 2nd tri...then I moved indoors onto the trainer and stayed there. I rode 1-2 times per week until about week 37. 

I ran 5K's about 2-3 times per week until I was about 34-35 weeks, usually at about a 10 min mile. Then I started into intervals. The slightly widening hips put a TON of strain on the muscles of my inner thighs and on my pelvic cradle in general. So I could run ok but I could barely walk for about 24 hours afterwards. So I changed to running a mile, walking a quarter, running a half, walking a quarter, etc. I ran a total of 2 miles and walked a mile the day before I went into labor (at 40 weeks, 6 days). 

Got my 6 week post partum workout approval this past Monday. Ran 3 miles in about 30 minutes on Saturday. Wow was I sore but I was so glad I did it! Chalk it up to the working out all during pregnancy!

Good luck!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Keep it up!  I went for a 3-mile run today at about a 10 minute mile pace.  I run 3 miles 5 times a week now. 

I was training for a marathon when I got pregnant, so I was running around 30-40 miles a week.  I'm not super fast -- I can go about a 9 minute mile for a 1/2 marathon and about an 8 minute mile for a 5K.  

I was able to run 6 miles at a time until about 30 weeks -- then for a few weeks 5 miles was my max, then 4, and now 3.  

I definitely had some pelvic soreness, but as long as I stretch really well and do squats, it gets a lot better.  

Running still feels great for me, so I would keep going as long as you can.  I'm MUCH slower, but it's still my favorite form of exercise.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wasn't doing as much as you pre-pregnancy (up to 20 miles/week at 8 min pace), but I was able to sustain my full mileage with an increasing pace through my 31st week.  My hip/pelvis then freaked out due to the whole relaxin thing and I pretty much couldn't walk for a bit, never mind run, and so I've been reduced to swimming and walking in the hills.  Keep it up as long as it feels reasonable--your body will let you know when it's time to slow down.  I also second the suggestion that you wear a monitor.  It was a good way to keep myself from getting too excited and going too hard on good days, and a reminder that I was still getting in a solid (if slow) workout on the bad ones.
  • I am a marathoner with 14 under my belt, including 2 Bostons. I ran through 39 weeks, 9 days b4 delivery. At 5 months pg, I ran a half marathon, and then dropped to 14 miles/week (3 miles, Mon, Tues and Thurs, 5 miles on Sat). My doctor just said to keep my HR under 160 bpm, so I wore a HRM on my Sat group runs. Running through my pg was very hard, but totally worth it. I am now 10 weeks post partum, though, and regaining fitness is hard. I've been back to running for 5 weeks now and 8 mile runs are hard. And I am still considerably slower than pre-baby. How Paula Radcliffe made such an amazing post baby comeback I will never understand. Part of this may have to do with age (I am 37), but regaining my fitness is so much harder than I expected. People tell me I LOOK great, but looking good does not help my race times :( Good luck to you. You can totally run through your pregnancy if you are determined. It won't always be pretty, but it really will make you feel strong and healthy!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"