Multiples
Options

Moms of twins: Do I even need a tandem stroller?

I know I'm jumping the gun a lot here, but I'm starting to think about registry stuff. If no one gets me a stroller then I'm just going to wait til the kidlets are here before I buy anything. But while I'm thinking about it, since a lot of SBSs fit through doorways and seem way easier to push, what do I need a tandem for?

Also, not sure if this is relevant, but both I and my DH are super tall, so I'm going to assume our poor kids will be little giants and need the leg room. 

Re: Moms of twins: Do I even need a tandem stroller?

• Options

Personally, I wouldn't wait until they kids are here to get something.  Its a pain in the arse to tote 2 carseats around by hand. 

I love my Kolcraft tandem, but if you'd rather not spend the money I'd get a DSNG.  You will never fit a sbs in stores at the mall

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    pea-kaypea-kay member
    I'd get the double snap n go for when they're babies, then reassess when they outgrow that. i had a double SBS, but never a double tandem (after the DSNG.) i loved my double SBS (it was the combi twin.)
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If i could only have one stroller - i'd want a tandem.  SBSs are great, but not great for many places with narrow asiles, etc... i could not go shopping at a lot of stores with my SBS (it's happened when i had the wrong stroller with me and couldn't fit through things... doors are fine- but asiles between clothing racks are not!).

I only use my SBS when we're going to the zoo, long walks, etc.  Otherwise I use my City Select all the time - love it....esp b/c it's a really short tandem.  If you can afford it - i HIGHLY recommend it.

The kolcraft contours is a great tandem for the money b/c it also is a DSNG - and then can be used with the seats (from day one with seats b/c it has a full recline).  I had one and LOVED it. I only got rid of it b/c i got the Select.  There is plenty of leg room in the Contours for your tallass kids :) lol

but you need a DSNG for sure- so if you don't get a stroller that takes 2 car seats- at least get the DSNG frame for early on - it's a life saver.  Then you can decide which "big/expensive" stroller you want.

you can get DSNG frames super cheap on craigslist.

• Options
    I had a DSNG which we used exclusively for the first 4m, then we got a City Mini double at 4m. (We stopped using the DSNG by 6m.) I got by with just that until a few months ago. A friend loaned me her Graco DuoGlider. I do use it occasionally for running errands in places like our post office or library that are a bit narrow, or if I'm shopping someplace like Rite Aid where I need to use the large basket underneath to put my purchases. I'm kind of ambivalent about it now. The City Mini is SO easy to fold, unfold and steer that I'm really spoiled; the DuoGlider just seems like too much work, even if it is more convenient in some ways. ;) (I also like the built in cupholders and snack trays. But I have a hard time getting the front snack tray on; not sure why!)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    I should add, I have really only taken the boys shopping to mall/clothing stores a couple of times. Normally that's too much of a PITA; if I need to go to the mall/clothes shopping, I'll go when DH is off so he can stay home with the boys and I don't have to worry about keeping them happy, bringing snacks, etc. So I guess it depends partly on where you want to go with the babies. (The few times I have taken them in their stroller to clothing stores was Old Navy and The Children's Place, where my SBS fit no problem, and a few other stores; I forget specifically which ones.)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    mmbenchmmbench member
    It depends on the SBS you're looking at and how far it reclines, but they're not going to have the neck control to be able to use them for awhile.  If you're getting infant seats, a DSNG would be useful until they're big enough for an SBS.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    cadencaden member

Oh sorry, forgot to mention I'll use some sort of snap-n-go thing during the car seat phase. Definitely not lugging around 2 car seats by hand!

Thanks for your opinions. 

Goldie - I love the City Select, but I also love the City Mini Double. I don't think I can afford both myself though.....

• Options

^^In that case, I think you'll be fine. My boys are 4 months now and all we've used is the DSNG for doctor's visits and brief shopping trips.

We have the Double City Mini Jogger as our next stroller and I don't anticipate the need for a tandem in addition to the side-by-side. If anything, I think I will need two single lightweight strollers so we have the ability to take the kids out separately in the future.

• Options
    imagecaden:

Oh sorry, forgot to mention I'll use some sort of snap-n-go thing during the car seat phase. Definitely not lugging around 2 car seats by hand!

Thanks for your opinions. 

Goldie - I love the City Select, but I also love the City Mini Double. I don't think I can afford both myself though.....

you can probably snag a City Mini double on craigslist if you check every day! You wont' find the select on there for a while since it's a new stroller- but if you can buy that one new then get the Mini used - you'll be good to go :)

• Options

Sounds like you are on the right track.  I have a DSNG and the Bumbleride SBS.  The SBS I like to just hit the road, I haven't actually put it in the car and don't really want to.  Eventually I hope I can convince DH we need the City Select as well!  The idea is walks or big outings we'll take the Bumbleride (I find walking is easier then hauling those babes in and out of the car) and the tandem is for car outings. 

• Options
    imagerobinsokj:

Personally, I wouldn't wait until they kids are here to get something.  Its a pain in the arse to tote 2 carseats around by hand. 

I love my Kolcraft tandem, but if you'd rather not spend the money I'd get a DSNG.  You will never fit a sbs in stores at the mall

This exactly.  I love my Kolkraft contours and we use it with the two infant seat attachments.  I love it so much that I never use my DSNG anymore and am getting rid of it.  I don't have a SBS yet and can't even imagine trying to get around a store with it.....I don't see how you would fit. 

• Options
    I second the recommendation for the Kolcraft Countours. If you factor in the cost of both the DSNG and a tandem it's much better to get the Contours because it is essentially both.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"