Attachment Parenting

did anyone see the NIP story on ABC?

i missed it b/c our initial meeting with our doula ran long... wonder if i can find it online... hulu perhaps?

Edit: https://www.hulu.com/watch/149305/what-would-you-do-may-14-2010#s-p1-so-i0

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: did anyone see the NIP story on ABC?

• I watched it with my MIL of all people. I was pretty disappointed in the bystanders' reactions. Then after hearing the statistic that 57% (I think) of people don't approve of NIP I was more depressed. After the show I got into a big discussion with MIL who is anti-NIP without a cover and hopefully changed her mind a little. I think it helped when I pointed out to her the woman on the show with the low-cut shirt was showing more than most women who NIP.

I have always been too modest to nip but kind of wish I wasn't so I could prove to my MIL that it's not disgusting. It's so depressing in this day and age that something so innocent and natural is viewed as indecent or sexualized. 

Me 38, DH 34 Missed M/C 10/08 at 10 weeks DD born 8/09, TTC#2 since Jan 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did see it, and I thought it was interesting. The whole premise of the show bothers me a bit. It seems like a higher stakes version of candid camera. 

I was annoyed at the way they handled the situation with the woman drinking a beer while nursing. There was no educational information given, and the nursing mother's response "Oh, it makes her sleep better", seemed inaccurate and I worry that it is going to get people all worked up about something they don't know about. 

• Loading the player...
  • bellaRNbellaRN member

I watched! I thought the "manager" came off a little strong, and don't know that someone would really approach a nursing mother that loudly and "aggressively" (*aggressive in word choice -- i.e. hooters, jugs).  

I nip all the time... so at the end of the segment I asked my husband what he would do if we were asked to leave cause of my nursing. He said it's one of those things that he doesn't know how he would react until it happens. I know myself, and I would probably clam up -- though I know it's a law and my right to feed my baby. I have never been approached, but I have received double takes, where I think the person is trying to figure out if I'm nursing.  

• rianalsrianals member

I saw it, too...

I realized that I don't know how I would react if I saw someone else in that situation.  I do know that I would stand up for myself and my baby if it happened to me, though.  My DH would be on board, too.   

• I watched- it was a little over the top, but pretty interesting. I thought it was funny that she was using a doll, and no one noticed, so obviously she wasn't showing too much LOL

I wasn't impressed with the beer skit either.

I really was intrigued by the first part of the show about domestic violence though. The whole show sparked conversation with my friends about what we would do in the situations.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagematildasun:

I did see it, and I thought it was interesting. The whole premise of the show bothers me a bit. It seems like a higher stakes version of candid camera. 

I was annoyed at the way they handled the situation with the woman drinking a beer while nursing. There was no educational information given, and the nursing mother's response "Oh, it makes her sleep better", seemed inaccurate and I worry that it is going to get people all worked up about something they don't know about. 

You're in my head!  I was super pissed that they didn't bother to share information on how that mom was NOT harming her baby by nursing while drinking.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"