Breastfeeding

Vacation = weaning? Your thoughts, please!

So my plan was originally to EBF for 6 mo, then 1 yr, and now basically 1 yr but keeping a morning/evening nursing session around as long as he wants it.

Long story short, DH gets no vacation time. SERIOUSLY limited (usually only 5 days at a time) and scheduled for him. We lucked out with a 2 week stretch at the end of June/beginning of July, so we're thinking about going on a 7 day cruise without DS. The thought of pumping for 7/8 days around the clock when I'm SO CLOSE to being completely done with pumping makes me sick. DS will be 11 mo. (bday is last week of July). I don't really want to wean abruptly on the vacay, but I'm thinking maybe I drop one pump each day until I'm just pumping in the morning and evening.

What's crazier: weaning while on a cruise (with the potential for engorgement?) or pumping 6 times a day every day? The kicker is that I don't have enough of a freezer supply for him to get only bm that whole week anyway so he'll have to get some formula no matter what (I'm not going to cry over this even though he hasn't had any yet). And should I try to save the milk I pump or just dump it? (THAT I might cry about. Just feels wrong.)

Thoughts?

Re: Vacation = weaning? Your thoughts, please!

• I would not wean while on vacation as I am somewhat concerned about pain... and a swimming suit is not usually the most supportive clothing item. 

I think a cruise would be so easy to pump, with the exception of full day excursions. But it is more of a logistical problem with transporting a week's worth of milk and pumping a supply for ahead of time...

If you choose to wean at 11months, why not just switch to cows milk a little early and skip the formula all together?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"