Military Families
Options

Any military wives with demanding careers?

It's just so hard to juggle a career with constantly being worried about having to move because of postings or worrying about the kids being sick and not being able to go to daycare while DH is deployed somewhere and you have to work. Ugh!! Just wondered what you all do? I'm a policy advisor for gov't which surprisingly is not as cushy as you think! 

DS #1: May 25, 2007

DS #2: Jan 7, 2009

DD #3 due May 17, 2014!!! Low lying placenta and DD measuring 1 week ahead at big u/s

Re: Any military wives with demanding careers?

• Options
    I work full time and I haven't really had a problem with work not understanding.  If DD is sick then they understand.  When she has appointments H and I switch off if possible that way we're not both missing too much work.
  • Options
    Yep. I find that I'm kind of an anomaly on most of the boats DH has been on. I have a full-time job that not only includes long hours and often working/getting calls/e-mails late into the evening, but also involves business travel. The travel isn't as extensive now, but at one point I was spending over half of the month away from home. Luckily I work from home now and just travel up to our head office occasionally, which makes taking care of things at home much easier, and also means that I can keep my job during moves as long as we stay on the East coast or thereabouts. It's a challenge sometimes with the dogs, but we have a dogsitter who comes and stays with them when DH is deployed and I'm out of town. It's going to be more of a challenge with kids, but I'm sure we'll be okay. My mom is considering moving to the area which would make it much easier. We're also hoping to get a nanny in general, at least during infancy, who could occasionally stay over night as needed. Obviously my travel will be limited early on and in the future when DH is gone, but at least I can keep my job and function. My company is very flexible and understanding when it comes to family, and they've been especially sensitive to my unique situation as a military wife.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    IlumineIlumine member

I had to give up my job (Lobbyist for a Military Assoc) when I married DH.  The opportunities for me were slim around the bases in the States (though I did get to two very differenty but very rewarding jobs while at Langley), 

Now that I am in Germany.....not so much.  BUT we are here for three years and when something opens up, I will jump all over it.

As for daycare....this is why I have not taken ANY job.  So far, the income =/= the monthly costs OR I would have to work nights and weekends. 

But for the right job (even if the money is not there) I would do it.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    BeachMBeachM member
    I do.  My schedule plus the lack of good daycare options where we currently live make me feel better about wanting to be a SAHM for awhile.

• Options

Yep, let me tell you how wonderful it goes over with my husband being enlisted and me being an attorney. I can't tell you how many snide comments I have gotten from various officers.

I also love how the military just assumes that no wives work. Case in point, before I could schedule my first OB appointment it was mandatory that I sit through a 2 hour pregnancy class, which of course are only offered during the week. As if I don't already have to take enough time off for appointments, now I have to take time off to listen to you tell me things that are in any pregnancy book.

Ok, I think that vent is over nowSurprise

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageveebug22:
    Yep. I find that I'm kind of an anomaly on most of the boats DH has been on. I have a full-time job that not only includes long hours and often working/getting calls/e-mails late into the evening, but also involves business travel. The travel isn't as extensive now, but at one point I was spending over half of the month away from home.

this...I'm a gov't contractor working as a program analyst...while this is a great opportunity for me, while hubby was deployed it could be difficult finding a house/doggie sitter when i was on frequent travel...thankfully he is getting out of the navy in August and starting school full time, so it is helpful that i have a steady job that pays a decent wage...nothing that we could solely live on, but with the money from the GI Bill and him having a part time job we will be okay...

it definitely makes things awkward around his friends/unit if my job is brought up...esp since he is younger than me and i guess they don't expect 'the woman' to bring in more than the man...idk...i just avoid the conversation all together if i can...

which is another reason why we have used my insurance for my entire pregnancy and had tricare as the back up...i was in the military for 10 years before separating, but even knowing 'the system' they sometimes make things harder than they have to be...

• Options

imageveebug22:
    Yep. I find that I'm kind of an anomaly on most of the boats DH has been on. I have a full-time job that not only includes long hours and often working/getting calls/e-mails late into the evening, but also involves business travel. The travel isn't as extensive now, but at one point I was spending over half of the month away from home. Luckily I work from home now and just travel up to our head office occasionally, which makes taking care of things at home much easier, and also means that I can keep my job during moves as long as we stay on the East coast or thereabouts. It's a challenge sometimes with the dogs, but we have a dogsitter who comes and stays with them when DH is deployed and I'm out of town. It's going to be more of a challenge with kids, but I'm sure we'll be okay. My mom is considering moving to the area which would make it much easier. We're also hoping to get a nanny in general, at least during infancy, who could occasionally stay over night as needed. Obviously my travel will be limited early on and in the future when DH is gone, but at least I can keep my job and function. My company is very flexible and understanding when it comes to family, and they've been especially sensitive to my unique situation as a military wife.

Gosh- I could have written your response almost verbatim (I work from home, travel, have long hours, etc)--except-- our LO is already here.  Is your DH Navy (we are in CT too!)?

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you!  Annoying.  Last weekend there was a Spouse Day, and everyone got to fly in our husbands' helicopters... except me and the very few other working moms.  Bitter!  Saturday would have ROCKED.  Oh well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemeechrobi:

Gosh- I could have written your response almost verbatim (I work from home, travel, have long hours, etc)--except-- our LO is already here.  Is your DH Navy (we are in CT too!)?

Hey meechrobi!  Yep, DH is Navy! We live in Norwich : ) I'd love to get coffee sometime if you're interested!

I feel like the Navy and other wives assume no one else works... the meetings seem to always be at times where it's impossible for someone with a full-time job to go!

• Options

I work full time and have since DH comissioned into the military.  I have been lucky that I have been able to either transfer my job or find another company to work for- even here in Japan I work full time for a computer company back in the US.  It does stink sometimes because you are never quite sure if you will be able to keep your job when you do PCS and the military really doesn't take the spouse needs into consideration.   

My issues aren't so much with the military itself's but my spouse group- they do everything during the day when I work so i can never participate.  i know i'm probably 1of 3 people out of 120 that work full time but still- it would be nice to do something with everyone and be more involved especially since we are stationed OCONUS. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I guess you could say my career is demanding. I am also active duty. Im and E6 in charge of an air station's supply department. I feel guilty missing time for my appointments or when my daughter is sick because there is so much that still has to be done. Thankfully my job isnt a deploying one but my husband is on a cutter that goes out for a week at a time, and is currently in dry dock 3 hours away for 3 months.
  • Options
    imageveebug22:
    imagemeechrobi:

Hey meechrobi!  Yep, DH is Navy! We live in Norwich : ) I'd love to get coffee sometime if you're interested!

I feel like the Navy and other wives assume no one else works... the meetings seem to always be at times where it's impossible for someone with a full-time job to go!

Hi! Sent you a PM!

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Full-time L&D nurse here also in grad school!  It's demanding, and like others have said, so frustrating when things are scheduled randomly through the week, because they assume everyone is a SAH.  It's amazing, though, since I work in L&D and part of our admission assessment is asking whether or not people work, I would estimate maybe 10% of the patients I see have jobs (not including the active duty moms of course).  Everyone else, even if they are coming in to have their first baby, is a SAH, what do you do if you are a SAH before you have kids?  I have read estimates that something like 50% of military spouses work and I have no idea where they are getting there numbers because at all the places we've been stationed, it seems like it is way, way less than that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"